fire lords chapter's tactics

mrcrowley

The Fire Lords favoured tactic is launching a planetary assault, which begins with incendiary bombardments, and should the defender survive, they only do so to face the Thunderfire Cannons and Land Raider Redeemers and face bombardment and promethium. Then, Tactical Squads will deploy in Drop Pods to bring death to the enemies of the Imperium.

I assume this means that the army utilises a drop pod assault and land raider rush supported by artillery.

how would this playstyle work? would it be effective against particular armies of is it a dud.........

The Fire Lords favoured tactic is launching a planetary assault, which begins with incendiary bombardments, and should the defender survive, they only do so to face the Thunderfire Cannons and Land Raider Redeemers and face bombardment and promethium. Then, Tactical Squads will deploy in Drop Pods to bring death to the enemies of the Imperium.

I assume this means that the army utilises a drop pod assault and land raider rush supported by artillery.

how would this playstyle work? would it be effective against particular armies of is it a dud.........

This depends on what your aim is and how big your games are... but if you wanted a thunderfire ot whirlwind at the back of a board and a redeemer running across and everything else coming down in pods... I think you could win games but don't expect 1st place in a GT.

I reaaaaally don't like Thunderfires. They die fast and hard, especially considering how survivable something like an 85 point Predator can be. However, if you're going for a Drop Pod army, you can at least benefit from them providing you with a force organization chart slot in which to get an empty, odd-numbered Drop Pod.

Why do odd-numbered Drop Pods matter? Because they let you bring in a more sizeable force on turn 1. Note that this will happen before shooting, so it's a little out-of-order with the fluff. But it gives you the control over deploying your units that armies like Daemons sorely lack.

Some other advice: watch out going for a Mono-Rock build. One Land Raider is going to be in trouble. Two will give many armies who haven't learned to pack Melta a lot of fits. It also gives you the option of picking up the squads you Drop Pod in after they've landed and helping to move them around. It's still inefficient, but at least you're not completely stranded.

All told, I think the concept is neat, but probably not a competitive one. You'll have an ultra-fragile firebase. I'd need to see the final list, though.

Archived