idea for a Chaos Whirlwind

maverike_prime

okay, so I was idealy toying around with some extra bits. Not actually working on anything just kinda using blue tac to stick things together, then take 'em apart and stick 'em somewhere else. At one point I put a short of dragon tooth piece, I think it's from the old Battle field accessories spure if that helps any, on top of an extra Rhino I have sitting on my desk. As I was looking at it I noticed it kinda looked like a large missile rack and that got my mind rolling, basically on the idea of converting a Whirl wind, 'cept I play Chaos. So I was thinking about it and figure I'll count it has a Vinidator. I'll just say the missiles use super-dense chemicals for the explosive charge so it's range is rediculously short or something.

Well I was thinking about it and the more I think about the more I think using the battle field pieces looks... well, kinda imcomplete. You know how in like old Saturday morning Cartoon what mechanics that were animated were just the barest pieces? Like if you tried to build it in real life the way it looked in the cartoon you'd need to add additional mechanisms and such to actually make it work. Well, with that in mind I started kinda doodling to get a better idea of how I could make this conversion. I came up with this (please excuse the crudity of this image edit)http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a316/maverike_prime/Warhammer/older-vindi.jpg

OKay I hit submit by accident and for some reason I can't go back and edit my OP.

Anyway, can anyone tell me about the Manticore kit? How is it built? What is connected to what? Particularly the articulation array for the missiles. Is it attached to a single base? I guess a better way to ask this is would it be viable to take a Manticore kit and make it so you can swap tops to make it a Manticore or a Chimera? if you can provide pictures of any of this it would be great too. Thanks.

From the top down: the articulation array for the Manticore is made up of two pieces below the missiles that they rest on, a pair of crossbars that they rest on, a 'cap' for the crossbars that includes the sensor bit (2 pieces: 'cap' and sensor). Below this, there is a four-piece part that they rest on, which consists of a top plate, two side parts (visible in your pic as the VVVV part), and a piston that goes between the side parts (to elevate the assembly and hold it in the elevated position in the kit). To each side of the side 'VVVV' parts go vertical plates, visible right above the Rhino hull in your picture. This whole assembly then goes on the Manticore hull.

So it is possible to take the whole missile rack and elevation mechanism off of the Manticore hull.

As for using it in-game, you could either use it as a Vindicator or add on secondary Defiler cannons, count the Missiles as the Battle Cannon, and either convert on chaosy CCWs or explain that the crew are experts at running over their foes (to explain the CC ability). That, or you could have Daemons/Cult Marines from your chosen god coming out of the hatches.

As for using it in-game, you could either use it as a Vindicator or add on secondary Defiler cannons, count the Missiles as the Battle Cannon, and either convert on chaosy CCWs or explain that the crew are experts at running over their foes (to explain the CC ability). That, or you could have Daemons/Cult Marines from your chosen god coming out of the hatches.

oh, I hadn't thought about the Defiler option. I think I like the daemons idea.

Archived