Praetors of Orpheus

G'day y'all,

Some of you on the B&C may have seen me crapping on about making some Praetors of Orpheus. Largely this is due to the fact that they get relatively little in the way of love, and I figured I'd make some. So what better way to start then from the top down?

I decided to make a Terminator Honour Guard basically because I had seen Marneus Calgar and his retinue and the Sanguinary Guard *the new red scorpions character, Sevrin Loth and his Honour Guard weren't released at the time this model was being made*, and figured I could top them. The UM Honour Guard to me, whilst cool, didn't hold a candle to the concept art that was around at the time of what I believe was the 4th Ed. Codex, which you may remember as this guy.

The inspiration for this first chap I've 99.9% completed came from p.47 of the blood angels codex. Tada! I basically decided that I loved this character as soon as I saw it, and wondered what he'd look like if he was stomping around in highly ornate terminator armour as a Praetor of Orpheus; namely the Chief Librarian. So then, with no further ado, I'll present to you all what I have come up with thus far:

Front, slightly out of focus:

http://i213.photobucket.com/albums/cc113/w...ne/_MG_3969.jpg

Front again, more in focus:

http://i213.photobucket.com/albums/cc113/w...ne/_MG_3964.jpg

Right-hand side:

http://i213.photobucket.com/albums/cc113/w...ne/_MG_3963.jpg

Left-hand side:

http://i213.photobucket.com/albums/cc113/w...ne/_MG_3965.jpg

The left-hand shoulder pad is a placeholder for the time being, I'm getting some shoulderpads ala Commander Culln from forgeworld so that I have two raised-rimmed shoulder pads. I seem to like the bezerker-ey type feel they give. Things to do from now I guess is to attach some chain around the waist as the tabard needs something to be connected to at the moment. That, a shoulderpad from FW and a few cables should just about do it.

C&C welcome.

Regards,

215 views and not even a 'Man, that's crap'?

If I need to take some better photos of the WIP librarian please say so, but surely someone has some feedback.

That's pretty common on B&C. It's good conversion work, by the way. I'll be waiting for updates on the painting!

Incredible!! :o

The Sanguine guard pieces are pure genius, especially on the greave and torso.

Only one point to critique. The head is turned too far to the side in my opinion.

Apart from the one small critique, i really love what you've done with this model and where its going.

Definitely better than the metal Terminator Librarian i think :)

Thanks all for the feedback, I was sitting here stewing this morning about the standard.

Insofar as the pose is concerned, he's based on the idea that he's just come out of a Gate of Infinity 'jump' and is charging in to do a shield bash. I'm actually making a diorama that I'll be hopefully putting towards golden daemon where renegade ogryns and guardsmen have contacted the Honour Guard in some old ruins and they've all gone into attack mode, the Librarian going for the biggest nasty he can find, the Chapter Master looking grumpy because his sightseeing tour has been interrupted and the Master of the Forge is about to unleash a can of chain-fed whoopass into the renegades. It goes on, and I know it sounds like a retarded idea having the whole Chapter Council in one place (remember Poland, anyone?), but the modeling challenge is enormous and that's basically what I'm after.

I'll digress further on what the diorama scenario entails in due course.

@Kizzdougs: The head is a little far to the left, I'll agree. I think the effect I was trying to give with the hunched shoulders and the raised shield (his right eye when you look at it from the front is just higher than the shield level when its cantered) was a feel that he was sprinting headlong into make as hard an impact as possible. I hadn't actually intended to glue it in so I could paint him properly but I only realised what I had done a few seconds too late, lol.

The Sanguinary Guard pieces are really good for the purposes of recreating terminator armour. It's really not that hard to do, as the torsos are fairly broad and require FAIRLY minimal work to be done with a scalpel and greenstuff to make them meet. I am going to make the rest of the Honour Guard squad with similar torsos, and do something different with the Master of Sanctity, Master of the Apothecarion and the Master of the Forge. But y'all will have to stay tuned for that :)

I definitely like it more than the Terminator Librarian model. The terminator librarian GW sells looks a little fat to me, and I figured that a few horned skulls aside (which are still to come for this fella, circa left shoulder pad), I could actually best it. So I'm glad I've achieved that goal :o

Thanks all thus far. I'll be sure to either make Zetes and Calais (the two guards, each armed with Nemisis Force Weapons and storm shields) in the very near future; that is, once the Librarian is fully modeled and I have sketched out how I want the two to look like.

OH AND BTW: Does anyone think he could do with a tome secured by a chain hanging over his right leg?

Regards,

OH AND BTW: Does anyone think he could do with a tome secured by a chain hanging over his right leg?

Definitely. The more books, scrolls, etc. you can hang off this guy, the better. Sure, sometimes it looks a bit silly, but I think the whole point of Inquisitors/Librarians/etc. is to make them over the top Gothic. Tomes definitely make that a reality.

Hey there,

After asking my question about the necessity of a tome, I decided to virtually bowl over the rest of the construction on my Chief Librarian. Now with a tome and chain added (about 1.5cm more chain is gonna be required to complete the securing of the tome I added yesterday, but anyway) he pretty much needs a base as he is ready for painting.

I opted out of the raised shoulder pad rim on the left hand side eventually. I did this because it detracts from the notion that he really can't see out that way, which I felt was the case when I had the deathwatch shoulder pad on him.

Now all I have to do is wait for the online store of the business I'm buying my bases from to go back up. Sigh. :)

Anyway, here are the photos. I apologise for the funkiness, they were a little dark so I upped the brightness, saturation and the contrast a little.

Front shot:

http://i213.photobucket.com/albums/cc113/w...flibrarian2.jpg

Front shot, showing detail:

http://i213.photobucket.com/albums/cc113/w...flibrarian5.jpg

Rear shot:

http://i213.photobucket.com/albums/cc113/w...flibrarian4.jpg

Left-hand side shot:

http://i213.photobucket.com/albums/cc113/w...flibrarian6.jpg

The book I wanted to look a little old and tattered, so I dragged a sewing pin down the greenstuffed spine to make it look damaged. I'm a little undecided as to whether I should file it flat or not. Any comments or opinions on this would be appreciated.

Will start painting in a few days once I've bowled over some study for university.

Regards,

Looks great! He captures the feel of your inspiration, very ornate. I especially like the book+chain = forbidden knowledge vibe! I think the shield could do with some spicing up; not that there's anything wrong with it, but it looks a little bland compared to the rest of it (more books! Knowledge as a shield?). Were you planning on modelling a psychic hood? From your inspiration pic, it seemed to really enhance his grim-ness. Also, what's the GS on the lower left leg? Can't tell if it's a design or battle damage.

Altogeher great work, and I'm looking forward to the finished product!

Looks great! He captures the feel of your inspiration, very ornate. I especially like the book+chain = forbidden knowledge vibe! I think the shield could do with some spicing up; not that there's anything wrong with it, but it looks a little bland compared to the rest of it (more books! Knowledge as a shield?). Were you planning on modelling a psychic hood? From your inspiration pic, it seemed to really enhance his grim-ness. Also, what's the GS on the lower left leg? Can't tell if it's a design or battle damage.

Altogeher great work, and I'm looking forward to the finished product!

Thanks mate, I appreciate your feedback. It's interesting you mention the whole 'forbidden knowledge' thing, as the tome is taken from the chaos sorcerer/lord set. I filed all of the symbols off, cut it in half, glued it together, and greenstuffed the pages and spine. Figured that'd be an interesting thing to note in this situation lol.

The shield is a little plain compared to the rest, I hadn't really thought about adding anything to it as its an ornate shield anyway, but thanks for the suggestion, I may just look into it! The psychic hood is supposed to be the skull in the iron halo-ey crest above his head with the wires sticking out of it. I figured once that was put in, which was done basically because it looked so awesome, I wouldn't be able to fit a hood or even a plate-type deal on his head anyway- his head barely clears the rim as it is. So I think the skull will act as the channeling/canceling 'device' for now- the Praetors have a high degree of technical expertise, I'm sure they'd be talented enough to make a fancy psychic hood!

Thanks again for your feedback. Really appreciate it!

I just took a few quick photos of the greenstuff work on the left leg for your reference.

Basically it's two hooded guys holding up the sword, which has the break in it (being a deathwing symbol) filled in.

At the time I wasn't too concerned about any overhanging story behind the two guys, I just thought it'd add some fancy detail to the armour.

Oh, and the messy-looking greenstuff beneath them is supposed to be terrain. Just in case anyone was wondering.

One side of left leg:

http://i213.photobucket.com/albums/cc113/w...ne/IMG_5536.jpg

Other side of left leg:

http://i213.photobucket.com/albums/cc113/w...ne/IMG_5537.jpg

Hopefully that clears everything up, elohimalpha :D

Regards,

Wow! Those new pics definitely help show how impressive that left leg is! I get what you're saying about the hood - there's so much going on up there anyway, it might actually detract/look too 'busy'.

And good to know I was right about the book! Locked up books are usually locked up for a reason...

Hi all,

I've done a very quick sketch of how I thought I could model the top portion of Zetes and Calais' armour (so pardon the mistakes, oh pedantic ones lol) - since Zetes and Calais both had wings in Greek mythology, I thought I might be able to use the Sanguinary Guard wings for the decorative purpose shown in the picture. Would they be suitable or does anyone think I should find a different set of wings to use?

Picture is at below link:

http://i213.photobucket.com/albums/cc113/w...warne/zetes.jpg

Regards,

Sorry for the double post, but I saw some bits that might work for smaller wings. They're part of a Dark Angels conversion kit, and they are a helmet decoration (I think). Anyway, I found them on eBay while cruising for bits - who knows, they just might work

Sorry for the double post, but I saw some bits that might work for smaller wings. They're part of a Dark Angels conversion kit, and they are a helmet decoration (I think). Anyway, I found them on eBay while cruising for bits - who knows, they just might work

Thanks, mate. I'll have a look at what's available, I still have heaps of conversion work to do before I get to the wings, lol.

Just for an update everyone- here's the first few (very, very) WIP painting pictures of Epistolary Aeolus, Chief Librarian of the Praetors of Orpheus.

Front

Front, showing detail

Lower legs- front

Lower legs-side

I'm sorry about the blue-ish tinge in the last two photos. I'm trying to work out how to best take pictures in the evening since my bedroom light is a little lackluster.

C&C most welcome.

Regards,

So far, so good! You've really put together a great looking model! The book+chain is perfect, and I really like the GS work on the leg - can't wait to see that painted. Looking at the whole thing and seeing how much detail is already there, I'm wondering if adding the wings might be a bit of overkill.

What color is the rest of the armor going to be? I'm assuming Blood Angels red, but I'm not really up on my Angels Sanguine color scheme.

Keep up the great work!

So far, so good! You've really put together a great looking model! The book+chain is perfect, and I really like the GS work on the leg - can't wait to see that painted. Looking at the whole thing and seeing how much detail is already there, I'm wondering if adding the wings might be a bit of overkill.

What color is the rest of the armor going to be? I'm assuming Blood Angels red, but I'm not really up on my Angels Sanguine color scheme.

Keep up the great work!

Thanks for the feedback, Elohimalpha and Captain Mick. Really appreciate it :devil:

Just to clear up, the wings will be on Zetes and Calais, the two bodyguards for the Chapter Master in the Honour Guard squad, and secondly, they're Praetors of Orpheus, not Angels Sanguine :D

Regards,

• 1 month later...

Hi all,

After an exams-induced absence I have made some more progress on my librarian, which is finally nearing completion.

As per usual, links to pics are below:

Front

Front-side

Right-hand side

Left-hand side

Close-up

C&C always welcome, let me know what y'all think.

Epistolary_Kalphanian

Archived