Question About DoW Deployment

Leardinal

Hey all,

I have never played a DoW game, but I just stumbled across it in the rule book. Does the restriction on anything non troop/HQ prevent a commander HQ IC from Deploying with a non Troop unit?

For example, I like to run my Reclusiarch on a bike in a Bike squad, so if he was to deploy in DoW, would he have to attach to one of the troop units/be on his own, or since he is attached to the bike squad do they come in with him?

I did a search and saw the threads about transports, but not about this specifically.

Any help would be appreciated

DoW allows you to deploy 1 HQ and 2 Troop units.

Your HQ IC is not attached to any unit until you deploy.

So, no, you cannot deploy your bike squad.

You can attach the HQ IC to a Troop Unit you deploy.

You can choose not to deploy the HQ IC (not a bad idea for bikes, as they come in at the start of your first move, and bikes can zoom along).

Thanks for the reply

*Imagines a rhino with a Squad of marines sitting behind cover as guard armor rolls in, then survives a salvo of ordinance. Then the rest of the BA army blazes in, lead by a reclusiarch on a bike :) *

Actually seems like the desirable deployment vs alpha strike lists, since you have little or nothing to shoot at and you know that the rest of your army will come in on your first movement phase.

A dedicated transport counts as a Unit, of the same type it is bought for, so no, if you deploy a 5-man Troop Squad in its razor, with a HQ IC in there, that is your 1 HQ + 2 Troops.

You do not HAVE to deploy anything. The 1 HQ and 2 Troop is a maximum, not a requirement.

You can hold your entire army back.

The only thing you have to do is declare which will be arriving 1st turn, and which are in Reserve (for outflanking/deep-striking etc.)

DoW allows you to deploy 1 HQ and 2 Troop units.

Your HQ IC is not attached to any unit until you deploy.

So, no, you cannot deploy your bike squad.

You can attach the HQ IC to a Troop Unit you deploy.

You can choose not to deploy the HQ IC (not a bad idea for bikes, as they come in at the start of your first move, and bikes can zoom along).

Thats incorrect.

He can be attached to the bike squad, but unless they are troops the entire unit-including the IC- cant be on the table at the start. They can either come on turn 1 or deploy in reserves.

Note: If the bikes are troops, via a biker captain, then the librarian and the bikers can be deployed counting as a troops and an HQ unit.

And yes, a dedicated transport is a unit, and if its chosen from the troops section so counts as a troops unit it can be one of the two you might deploy.

Archived