Disembarking

noob-marine

If a transport was moved to where all exit points were next to table edge(s) (such that normally disembarking units in whole or part would disembark off the edge, what happens?

1. Is the unit prevented from disembarking?

2. Can the unit choose "emergency disembarkation"?

3. If not #2 and the unit chooses to disembark, is the entire unit considered destroyed because at least one unit left the table edge?

This came up during a recent game when an Eldar transport found it's rear against the table edge. I think I agree with how we handled the scenario (we figured the unit could either not disembark, or could choose to disembark and be destroyed because they would be off the edge...However, the opponent generously offered to allow the Eldar player to keep any models that could still disembark within 2" of the access hatch.

Thanks in advance!

Models cannot move off the table surface. They wouldn't have been able to get out of the transport at all unless it was Wrecked, and they performed an Emergency Disembarkation. That is the ONLY time you can use Emergency Disembarkation. You can't "elect" to do so in order to avoid having to use the normal, intact access points.

Past the edge of the table is impassible terrain. Unit can't disembark, and can't choose to disembark because it has no legitimate way to do so. Units can't choose emergency disembarkation, because you only get that if the transport is destroyed, not on a whim. IIRC if you're forced to disembark and can't place all of the models, you place what you can and the rest die.

According to 5th ed rules, the unit can perform emergency disembarkation if they would end up in impassible terrain (or w/i 1" of enemy units) through a normal disembarkation (ref. 5th edition rule book [the small on from AoBR], p67 para 1).

So I guess the question is more along the lines of: does beyond the table edge count as impassible terrain for the purposes of disembarking? If so, it would appear emergency disembarkation is an option.

However, my assumption is that the table edge does not count as impassible terrain (as units are totally free to move off the table, just counting as destroyed). I'm guessing there is no special rule in the case of disembarking as I've described in the OP.

ETA: I noted that the rule for a wrecked vehicle only notes that the unit must immediately disembark, and any units that cannot disembark are destroyed (it doesn't note that the unit automatically "emergency disembarks", so I assume it reverts back to the standard disembark section). So if I read correctly, if a vehicle in this situation was wrecked, the unit would automatically be destroyed because the models would disembark off the table edge.

Models cannot move off the table surface. They wouldn't have been able to get out of the transport at all unless it was Wrecked, and they performed an Emergency Disembarkation. That is the ONLY time you can use Emergency Disembarkation. You can't "elect" to do so in order to avoid having to use the normal, intact access points.

ETA: I noted that the rule for a wrecked vehicle only notes that the unit must immediately disembark, and any units that cannot disembark are destroyed (it doesn't note that the unit automatically "emergency disembarks", so I assume it reverts back to the standard disembark section). So if I read correctly, if a vehicle in this situation was wrecked, the unit would automatically be destroyed because the models would disembark off the table edge.
Incorrect, they can still emergency disembark. A unit always has this option when disembarking, except of course if there is no room at all. Of course, how the transport got completely boxed in without the interference of enemy units is strange indeed...

I humbly disagree based on my reading. As I see it, the unit can only emergency disembark "if any models cannot disembark because of enemies or because they would end up in impassable terrain". (p67 para 1 "Disembarking") However, there may be another part of the book (or an official FAQ) that otherwise clarifies this, which would help greatly.

The original issue came when an Eldar transport moved to the table edge and pivoted so that it's hatch was against the table edge. Relative tactical intelligence of the move, with respect to embarked troops, is not of importance in this debate. :(

Incorrect, they can still emergency disembark. A unit always has this option when disembarking, except of course if there is no room at all. Of course, how the transport got completely boxed in without the interference of enemy units is strange indeed...

Indeed, and remember despite how it would seem through normal physics, the models dont actually get out and walk up to 2"- theyre just there all of a sudden through deployment. Thus, if the unit is small enough to stay within 2" of the transports rear hatch they can disembark. The rear of a waveserpent is so wide as to destroy unit coherency either, though it is very close.

You cannot voluntarily get out of a vehicle, pass over the edge of the board, and then miraculously reappear right next to the vehicle.

It would be akin to parking a Chimera (or other vehcile with no side exits) with its back end flush against a building (cliff wall, or other vertical plane surface), and then saying the models inside all get out, and then place them on the tank's right flank within 2" of the blocked hatch.

So the word I got from GW (Andrew Hall) is that even a 10-man unit should be able to disembark and remain within 2" of the hatch on either side of the vehicle. I don't have a Wave Serpent (its a friend's army) and didn't think to ask about coherency at the time, but someone noted above that the width of the WS should allow the unit to maintain coherency.

Of course, if one side of the WS was blocked by impassible terrain or enemy units, then the unit could use emergency disembarkation.

I didn't prolong the conversation and play devil's advocate by asking what happens if the WS player snuggles the WS's rear in the corner of the board. Perhaps at that point they ask you to box up the unused portion and return it for a full refund.

And could one really cram 5 men on either side of the transport and the furtherest unit still be w/i 2" of the hatch? I don't know. I take his word for it for now.

Internally, I think we came to an agreement. Let the unit disembark on either side of the transport...then drop a pie plate on it.

You cannot voluntarily get out of a vehicle, pass over the edge of the board, and then miraculously reappear right next to the vehicle.

It would be akin to parking a Chimera (or other vehcile with no side exits) with its back end flush against a building (cliff wall, or other vertical plane surface), and then saying the models inside all get out, and then place them on the tank's right flank within 2" of the blocked hatch.

Prove it. The rules seem to say nothing of the kind. You simply deploy the unit by placing them, in mass, within 2" of any access points and within 2" of each other so theyre in unit coherency.

No. 'past the table edge', or 'off the board' is out of game, period. It is not Impassable Terrain. That leads to all other sorts of rules confusion on it's own.

Why is it not Impassable Terrain, and what other rule confusion does that cause? You still can't move off the table even with a unit that can ignore impassible terrain because the movement is forbidden. I suppose if you want to you could declare that 'off the table' is difficult terrain or clear space or even a building that you can't enter, but that seems to actually create rules confusion.

Why is it not Impassable Terrain, and what other rule confusion does that cause?

Well, for example Drop Pods, if the table edge was impassable terrain the Interial Guidance System would never allow it to scatter off of the table

Also if you look at the rules for Deep Strike Mishaps Pg.95 "....they would land off of the table, in impassable terrain, or on top of a friendly model..."

Off of the table is different from impassable terrain.

Archived