Crimson Ghosts WIP project log

Joseph

Hi all,

Getting into to modeling/painting again after a long hiatus and looking for some comments and/or criticism on this fellow:

gallery_12568_5296_43434.jpg

gallery_12568_5296_79836.jpg

He is a tactical marine for my (name yet to be decided) DIY chapter (5th company/3rd squad)

Still have some tidying up (armour joints) and detail bits (pipes, squad icons, army badges etc) to add but as far as scheme goes fairly complete. Currently plan to have tactical symbol/company colour on right pad and chapter symbol/squad colour on left pad. I like grey and all but not sure if it is a little too grey atm although some detail work will break that up a bit.

So what do we think?

edited topic title - Crimson Ghosts it is thanks LuNCHBiZZLe

Edit:Topic Title changed (Again), hopefully in the view of keeping some momentum going :P

Welcome back! :D

I'm liking it, its quite a dirty look but then again marines arn't exactly meant to be pristine when they are blowing people apart with mass reactive weaponry! Speaking of weapons thats an interesting hue you have on the boltgun. In terms of two seperate coloured shoulder pads (am I correct in assuming you are doing that?). May make the model a bit too busy looking.

What other ideas have you got for the army fluff wise and general look? The skull symbol could be easy in terms of just simply acquiring metal pads to put on (like the one youve used).

Firstly, very nice painting. Your use of weathering and directional lighting really sets off the detail in the model, and the use of the etched brass eagle is very subtle. On the issue of the grey armour, I think it would be more effective if it were accompanied by a contrasting colour to accent it. Something that can work very well is to use a smooth, crisp flat-looking colour like the grey you've got and place it next to a deeper colour with a lacquered appearance. Any strong colour will have the right effect but my personal favourite is Al (red) Gore. Also, red will have the effect of contrasting with the green lenses in the eyes. Seeing as there's already a little red in there already, it shouldn't involve many changes, just limit the bronze areas and you're there.

the first thing that comes to mind looking at the chapter symbol and squad color combo is the crimson ghost. he looks good for a test marine, the metal is kinda off IMO looks kinda like its stained, don't know if thats the way you were going with it.

Thanks for the comments. I have made a couple of little changes:

gallery_12568_5296_35771.jpg

The right pad has been painted with the red of the left pad and the left knee has had the squad symbol added, so going with company colour as shoulder pad colour that would make him 3rd company 5th squad. I'm kinda after a dirty look to the models as they are supposed to be in combat and all. Fairly happy with the scheme as it stands now. Will work on the remainder of the squad and see how they look as a group. Pics in due course.

Comments/criticsms welcomed.

The base was made by cutting out some 1mm plasticard in a circular shape and using a knife to to cut 5mm by 5mm lines into it. I have just made some more for the remainder of the squad:

gallery_12568_5296_205280.jpg

With these I have added a couple of bits from the basing kit (some good stuff in them) and used some sand to cover the gaps.

• 4 weeks later...

Been a while due to a holiday and my general slow speed but still working on these, have changed things around a bit and the photo's are still pretty crappy (something else I need to work on) but here are the 3 I have so far for the 1st tac squad:

gallery_12568_5296_20935.jpg

Have toned down the Grey added in a bit more red. An improvement on the previous scheme?

Will get to completing the squad and perhaps make a start on a rhino/razorback.

I like both colour schemes really. However, the old one is cooler with the dirtyness of it which I don't see as much with the new colour scheme. But I do like the grey and red combo a lot better with the second colour scheme. So maybe just dirty-fy the new scheme?

• 2 weeks later...
I like both colour schemes really. However, the old one is cooler with the dirtyness of it which I don't see as much with the new colour scheme. But I do like the grey and red combo a lot better with the second colour scheme. So maybe just dirty-fy the new scheme?

I plan on dirtying them up some and have made a start.

@ Leonidus: I had to do some research on this one, I had no idea the Crimson Ghost was a 1940's serial. I might have to see if I can give it a watch. Anyway the name is all LuNCHBiZZLe's fault :P

So I have made some progress assembling a rhino and finished off the interior:

gallery_12568_5296_84032.jpg

The rear door has been magnetized (thanks to small dog and this thread: small dogs rhino thread

Also pretty much done with assembling the remainder of the tactical squad, just need to fill some gaps and get em primed:

gallery_12568_5296_21476.jpg

Work and life in general as ever keeps intruding but progress will continue to be made!

• 2 weeks later...

While I'm afraid to report a distinct lack of progress with the tac squad and transport, I have managed to begin building a dread.

gallery_12568_5296_122336.jpg

The basic legs are somewhat static so taking the various dreads on display here as inspiration I cut mine up and have been rebuilding them. General shape done , just need to pad it out some with more milliput and apply some GS to fill in the details/gaps etc. I have magnetized the waist/torso and plan to magnetize the arms.

So thoughts so far? (I appreciate is kinda difficult to see it laid down and will post more pics of it upright once I get it further fleshed out).

Bit more progress on the dread:

gallery_12568_5296_146559.jpg

Not the best picture but gives a better idea of the overall plan. Obviously the left hand ccw need s bit of work, what with it not being there and all. Stick with a fist or try something a little more exotic?

I love seeing other weapons than powerfists on Dreadnoughts but I can't say I have an idea for you :D I've been trying to think of something for my own Dreadnought (when I make it) so I can't wait to see what you settle on and then maybe steal the idea :)

Archived