Raven Guard Shadow Captain Lanius

ravenguard2010

Hey guys, after the interest shown in my assault squad sergeant a few days ago, I thought I'd share my Raven Guard Shadow Captain conversion model with you all. I've spent a good while on these new models trying to get my painting up to a good level, and I've really experimented with getting a 'realistic' effect with this army. He has the name Lanius at the moment, named after a genus of the shrike family. Hope you like it:

gallery_55821_5212_1136443.jpg

Thanks for looking, and all comments welcome!

Rob

the backpack grenade launcher is a good idea. however, you already have stuff on the jump-pack making it too cumbersome.

maybe stick with something like the M203 http://world.guns.ru/grenade/gl07-e.htm

or maybe "Servo skull mounted" ;) like floating around

the paint job is awesome by the way! realy inspiring, particularly the white (even more since I have to paint an apothicary soon ;) )

Cheers for the kind words guys, the servo skull is definately a good idea, I'll talk about that in a sec. I've taken the AGL off now, I'm pretty finicky with my models and won't stop until I'm 100% happy with them. So I've actually ordered the scout bike grenade launcher and grenade feed off ebay to see if I could pull something off with that, but if not I'll definately look into the servo skull idea. I quite like the idea of a servo raven, it would suit fluff wise perfectly, but I have no idea what model could do a decent representation? Anyone any ideas?

Also, could we have some more angles please? :D

Ludovic

Oh and when I've sorted out a decent AGL conversion I'll post them up on here!

Power Armored Njal Stormcaller has a cyber-Raven with its wings spread, and Terminator armored Njal has one perched on his shoulder.

http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/mediawiki/images/0/0c/Njal_Sturmbringer.jpg

http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/mediawiki/images/thumb/b/b7/New_Njal.jpg/800px-New_Njal.jpg

I don't know how easy it would be to find Power Armored Njal tho.

I don't think the problem with the AGL is the placement, I think it's the size. The one you've used is just too big to go on the backpack, it just looks odd. I think the Scout GL will have the same problem.

What I'd suggest is a more subtle approach, something more like the old Terminator Captain grenade launcher setup:

You'll need to magnify the image/page to make out any detail on the PF w/grenade launcher, but I'd be aiming for something like that. Think the pop-up guns on Tony Stark's Iron Man suit (in the movie), a pop-up GL would be a heck of a surprise which is quite RG-ish and could be mounted on a JP.

The other thing to remember is that in the olden days Marines had 'coin-sized' frag grenades and other cool los-tech equipment. Captains and senior members of a Chapter are likely to have access to that kind of previous generation of gear (like digi-weapons) which should open up some more subtle modelling possibilities.

The other thing to remember is that in the olden days Marines had 'coin-sized' frag grenades and other cool los-tech equipment.

That's interesting.. I didn't know that.. I wouldn't have been paranoid and gone into using the IG one before if I'd known that. The scout bike launcher came today, and while it looks the bees knees, like u said it's still a bit big to look at home on the pack sadly, I'm gutted about that though because it looks great.. I'm going to experiment with some sort of smoke launcher/ bolter scope conversion tomorrow now.

Oh and thanks for the raven links guys, much appreciated!

Hey guys, after much thought and deliberation I decided to go with the servo skull AGL conversion idea, and I quite like how its come out. I figured a raven would clutter up the model a little bit too much at this point, but there is definately going to be one or two featuring in the army somewhere. Hope you all like it!

gallery_55821_5212_2077212.jpg

Oh and there's one or two different angles in my gallery for those who were interested above.

Looks very nice.

A third option for the AGL would be to mount it in the top middle of the Jump pack, like a small smoke launcher.

Just like the Shrike model has.

But having a personal grenadeskull is groovy too!

I like the weathering on the white parts.

Got any more Raven Guard stuff coming up?

Would be nice to see more ;)

Archived