Artwork - Ultramarine Movie Banner competition

ManticoreLegion

Hello,

I was kinda occupied with many projects of late especially since preparing GD England but i opened my email account today and surprise surprise I couldn't believe it:

''Dear Ioannis,

We mailed you some weeks ago (note to self: check this email account more often) to let you know that you were the winner in the Professional category of the Ultramarines movie Design A Standard competition. Congratulations!

Your prize of an original storyboard from the movie is here, waiting to be shipped to you. Could you kindly let us have your address and a telephone number (in case the courier company needs to contact you) and we will dispatch it as soon as possible.

Looking forward to hearing from you,

Best wishes,

Deborah Hooper of Codex Pictures''

Here are my 2 entries, the one that got the prize is the Imperial Fist banner,

http://blacksaints.files.wordpress.com/2010/09/161981_orig.jpg

http://blacksaints.files.wordpress.com/2010/09/92705_orig.jpg

You can check the other categories and winner at : Ultramarine the movie

well thats it, hall of honor!!!

Manticore

Your banners are truly great pieces of art Manticore! - Congratulations on the victory!

I have to say though, that I like the Ultramarines better than the Imperial Fists one.

Both banners truly look like something their respective Chapters would be proud to display :)

The background in the circle on the Imperial Fists banner is the only detail that didn't sit quite right with me when I saw this on the Ultramarines the movie site, because it looked kinda like padding.

Here though, it looks much better. - Kinda like brickwork or something. - Which would be a perfect match for the siege works mastery of the Fists.

All in all, great work and again congratulations!

Way to go! :)

Mind sending me a high-res copy of the UM 4th company banner?

It was excellent and as an Ultra player since 2nd ed. I'd love to have it in my collection of high-res artwork.

Sure! Just PM ur personal email. Ill do it this week end (in on the road at the moment), i think the original is around 1.5-2.5 megs. good quality.

Funny thing I also like the Ultra a bit better but who know's what goes down in the judges minds.

I knew I was on to something though when I learned later on that the IF would make an appearance in the movie ( most probably getting rescued by the ever hardy and stalwart Ultra's).

The prize is a cool story board of the movies, signedd by the artists.

When i'll get it I'll be happy to show you guys what it is!

Cheers

I disagree. I like the Imperial Fists one much better.

It's all correct and snazzy and commemorates a worthy hero.

The Ultramarines one has flaws (Ventris isn't the Master Of The Fleet) and commemorates Ventris...who should be executed, not commemorated. Plus, there's too much green and blue together that isn't balanced by the also greenish brass/gold...looks Alpha Legiony.

Finally, the banner uses a theme that doesn't really belong with the Ultramarines. Too much medieval stuff, not enough Roman.

-----

Change the sword to a gladius and then maybe the kite shields to parma/scutum type shields (the shields probably look best as is, even if they don't actually fit), crank up the red/yellow in the brass/gold, and switch "Master Of The Fleet" to "Master Of The Failure" (or something similar).....THEN the Ultramarines banner might rival the Imperil Fists one.

All that being said, the Ultramarines one is still really high quality, and it's nice to look at if you have no idea why it's wrong.

Well, in the Ultramarine banner's defence, green is the 4th Company colour and the shield shapes are common among Marines.

While Uriel left his duty as Master of the Fleet over to Lord Admiral Lazlo Tiberius, the title would usually be given to the Captain of 4th, so it is an understandable mistake. - Perhaps the banner was made in anticipation of Vetris taking over as Master of the Fleet, but then he gave the title away instead.

And Uriel is the greatest Marine ever! :D - Poke! Poke! ;)

Well, in the Ultramarine banner's defence, green is the 4th Company colour and the shield shapes are common among Marines.

While Uriel left his duty as Master of the Fleet over to Lord Admiral Lazlo Tiberius, the title would usually be given to the Captain of 4th, so it is an understandable mistake. - Perhaps the banner was made in anticipation of Vetris taking over as Master of the Fleet, but then he gave the title away instead.

And Uriel is the greatest Marine ever! ^_^ - Poke! Poke! ;)

Alright, I'll buy that. It was a banner made BEFORE Ventris became Captain and proved just how much fail he was capable of.

i always thought that Ventris WAS/IS the master of the fleet but let Lazlo Tiberius do all the technical stuff, logistics and so forth.

the only reason for Ventris to be master of the fleet is that he can join an apocalypse formation and play the hero he isnt is (and never will become)

• 2 weeks later...
i always thought that Ventris WAS/IS the master of the fleet but let Lazlo Tiberius do all the technical stuff, logistics and so forth.

the only reason for Ventris to be master of the fleet is that he can join an apocalypse formation and play the hero he isnt is (and never will become)

Nope. That's just about the only respectable thing he's ever done.

He recognized that he really knew nothing about fleet operations and that Lord Admiral Tiberius was a true master on the subject, and he therefore forfeited his title and powers of "Master Of The Fleet" to Lord Admiral Tiberius.

Archived