Having difficulties getting a model into an army

Gothical

A while back I used to run a Captain in Terminator Armour with a pair of Lightning Claws - I recently found the model and had some new ideas to jazz him up a little, and as such I really want to field him in my army.

Why is that an issue?

I already have another lovingly-converted Captain in my force as it is (who I cannot drop)!

It's come down to a debate on how to make the model fit into the army:

1) Run him as a 2nd Captain, justifying him as a "Terminator Champion" or some such thing. Trouble with this is the single model costs 155 points, which is a fairly heavy investment.

2) Run him as a Sergeant in a Terminator Assault Squad. This seems like the obvious choice, however I can't really fit a Land Raider into my army (even at 2000 points), whereas I can just about afford the character.

So my question is this: what is going to be the least-rubbish (neither is very competitive) way of fielding the model: as a Captain joining a regular Terminator Squad; or as a Sergeant in a Terminator Assault Squad that Deepstrikes. Both have their pros and cons, and I really cannot muddle out which is going to be the better route.

I may give great thought to the force to try to fit a Land Raider in, but for now it's not an option - so I'm after some opinions on how to make the best of this situation.

As an aside, do you think I could justify a "special character counts-as" with this model? The only Terminator Armoured characters are Lysander and Calgar, but he doesn't fit with Lysander's equipment (hard to explain how some really shiny lightning claws give him Str10...and most opponents would be horribly confused) and Calgar is way too expensive - I may as well take the Land Raider!

Well you could always pose the same question for your other, favoured captain - couldn't he become the sergeant?

How fluffy/themed is your army?

I have a biker/(sternguard) army, with the bikers including a mounted captain and the sternguard painted as deathwatch with their own HQ.

The Deathwatch HQ is normally a librarian, but a captain is also fluffy so I take a captain to get a second command squad or Pedro to make them scoring.

Pedro also allows me to field a squad of Honour Guard.

I like being able to field a fluff/cohesive force, with two different paint schemes.

Cheers, Paul.

Archived