Daemonunters Sanctuary

Pendulum

I'm fairly positive I've got this right, but I'm really hoping someone can tell me I'm missing something here.

Fielding a Space Marine army with Daemonhunter allies. The main units of interest for this question are as follows:

HQ: Inquisitor with Sanctuary, Retinue (2 mystics, 2 Gun Servitors with Heavy Bolters), Chimera.

HEAVY: 2x Devastator Squads with a combination of missile launchers, plasma cannons, lascannons and heavy bolters.

Deployment: Place the Chimera (with Inq. and retinue inside) as far forward as possible, with the Devastator squads flanking it tightly.

If the Daemons player has initiative, half the Daemons squad can come in. Thanks to the mystics, I have a good chance of shooting them as they land (thanks to each devastator squad having a large viewing angle, or if all else fails relying on the Chimera's weapons). Daemons can't assault any of these squads this round, and have very little in terms of shooting ability, so these squads are likely to be fine.

Either way, on my first turn, use the psychic power of Sanctuary. As per the FAQ for the BRB, psychic powers with an area effect measure from the hull of the vehicle if the model is embarked. As such I now have a bubble of 3" surrounding this chimera, and enveloping the devastator squads.

Daemons can't draw line of sight through the Sanctuary. Daemons can't move or assault into the Sanctuary. The sanctuary stays active until the Inquisitor moves or shoots.

I now effectively have 2 invincible devastator squads and an invincible chimera, all of which can shoot the hell out of pretty much everything.

PLEASE TELL ME I'M MISSING SOMETHING. Otherwise this really breaks codex Daemons. In fact, the only way I can see this going well for the Daemons is if the Inquisitor botched his psychic test and got a perils of the warp!

Question 2, with the same army and using the same Sanctuary power. The last line of the power reads "The effects of this power last until the psyker moves, shoots, or uses another psychic power". Would his two Gun Servitors firing end the Sanctuary? The power distinctly says Psyker, not unit. I can't seem to find anything in the BRB that says an entire units counts as having fired if any models fire. Thoughts?

I'm not sure on the daemon particulars cause I don't have the codex, but I can tell you some of the problems with the rest of it.

1. The mystic's range is only 4D6" which you need to roll for each unit. So if they land outside of 24"..no free shooting.

2. If the devastators are flanking the chimera within 3" then they are just a pie plate away from death. (which soulgrinder can do)

3. Firing from the hatch will make the Chimera open topped.

4. It's a one trick pony that's really only going to be effective (maybe) against Daemons.

I'm not sure on the daemon particulars cause I don't have the codex, but I can tell you some of the problems with the rest of it.

2. If the devastators are flanking the chimera within 3" then they are just a pie plate away from death. (which soulgrinder can do)

3. Firing from the hatch will make the Chimera open topped.

Though Sanctuary specifically blocks line of sight, so the Soulgrinder couldn't target it at all. Best it could hope is to target a near by unit and scatter, but if I have no other units near by...

4. It's a one trick pony that's really only going to be effective (maybe) against Daemons.

I'm aware of this. It just seems overly nasty towards Daemons players. If I fielded this more than once in my local gaming group, they'd kick my ass (irl) and I'd deserve it!

Best counter I can come up with is Boon of Mutation. If somehow a Daemon can survive while within 6" of a devastator squad, it could potentially keep turning them into Chaos Spawn (who would of course be pushed out of the Sanctuary bubble). As far as counters go, this is pretty crap. But all I can find.

It is nasty, but like you pointed out it's a metagame list, what did you expect?

Of course in objective based games there is a good chance that the daemon player could just ignore those three units and just win by objective holding. Neither the devs nor the inquisitor can claim objectives and they are a large point sink which means you'll have less to hold/contest objectives with. And once the Daemons engage those units in combat they'll be free from getting shot at. They won't need any fancy tricks to win, just proper tactics.

yes sanctuary is a dick move, it was desighned in a time when there was no deamon army (deamons merely being part of the chaos space marine army). On the other hand if you DO pull that move the deamon player is more than justified in pulling his own dick move in sticking to the definition of Deamon on pg 20 of the deamon hunter codex. (in short only nurglings and greater deamons count as deamons for the purpose of deamonhunter rules). The only way to get around that and have sanctuary effect all deamons is to use the deamonhunter pdf, however that pdf lacks the ally rules so you would be unable to feild them with your space marines.

yes sanctuary is a dick move, it was desighned in a time when there was no deamon army (deamons merely being part of the chaos space marine army). On the other hand if you DO pull that move the deamon player is more than justified in pulling his own dick move in sticking to the definition of Deamon on pg 20 of the deamon hunter codex. (in short only nurglings and greater deamons count as deamons for the purpose of deamonhunter rules). The only way to get around that and have sanctuary effect all deamons is to use the deamonhunter pdf, however that pdf lacks the ally rules so you would be unable to feild them with your space marines.

Good call, didn't see that one! :blink:

It is nasty, but like you pointed out it's a metagame list, what did you expect?

Of course in objective based games there is a good chance that the daemon player could just ignore those three units and just win by objective holding. Neither the devs nor the inquisitor can claim objectives and they are a large point sink which means you'll have less to hold/contest objectives with. And once the Daemons engage those units in combat they'll be free from getting shot at. They won't need any fancy tricks to win, just proper tactics.

then you take multiple -][- in chimeras and park on the objectives and cast it... now the daemons can't get onto the objectives.

then you take multiple -][- in chimeras and park on the objectives and cast it... now the daemons can't get onto the objectives.

Ya, but then he's REALLY metagaming, and so only useable once...unless he wants his friends to kick his butt...literally. (which Pendulum has already said they would)

Hahaha, thanks guys.

Discussed with my local gaming group. We are in agreement with Frosty the Pyro. No-one will try the dick move of Sanctuary, as long as no-one tries the dick move of "Demons are not Daemons"

Archived