Creating a new chapter

Bone Redeemers

Hello guys, i am relatviely new to the BnC and ive decided to start off by creating my own unique space marine chapter now bear in mind that i am still a newb at the hobby and my paint jobs etc are really quite horrible but i hope all you guys can help me get better :D so yeah the basic idea of my chapter is a kind of savannah (trying yo find a better word with the same meaning) dwelling chapter that is verry closely knit so i plan on giving each sergeant for all my squads an individual name and small background at least until my army grows too large and my laziness kicks in :blush: im not entirely sure about how they came to be so if u guys have any brainstorming ideas fill me in.

So far i have come up with a relatively simple colours scheme that still needs some work done to tweak it and make it a nice looking force on the battlefield so i ahve an SM painter pic of the basic scheme

Edit: The main yellow paint is Desert Yellow with a complete wash of gryphonne sepia

sm.php?b62c=@hQ8MC_hYbiB.hdNvV@@@@@@@hGxVO@@@@__@@@@@@@@@@@.@.@@@@@@@@@@@hCmX3hFTPP@@@@@@@@iakk7@@@@hFTPPiakk7&

but i need to find a good trim colour or something to break up the one-colourness of the scheme i was thinking black with a grey trim but im starting to doubt that and what colour to paint the chest eagle, gold or silver? or make it the same colour as the trim.

So yeah... this is still the early days of this project and it should slowly progress with the help of all you guys :) cheers

I like the scheme. I personally wouldn't go with gold cuz it'll most likely blend in with the tan/khaki main color you're using. Silver could look cool, but I think the white you have now looks pretty nice as well. I'm looking forward to seeing a test mini *hint hint* :lol:

My two cents ^^

The scheme is fine now tbh, gold / silver is a bad idea like said above. Keep it like this and it will look great, maybe not at your first squad but u allways have to get used to a theme/scheme to before it looks good. Looking forward to see a test model :lol: .

Thanks for the feedback guys :P should have a test model done by tommorrow night (perth, australia time) after ive been to gw so i can have the full arsenal of paints and the help from zee staff

okay so the chest eagle is most likely going to remain a white or a silver highlighted with white and the trim is still under debate but the black with grey highlight is still the favourite.

The fluff could be that they are from a desert hive world. Their fortress is an oasis in the middle of the desert, and they recruit from the local tribesmen(who are basically Bedouin). Very Arabic sounding names, or just Semitic in general and that would certainly be a unique army IMO. If you make some of the SM's look like Tusken Raiders you will be my hero :D

The fluff could be that they are from a desert hive world. Their fortress is an oasis in the middle of the desert, and they recruit from the local tribesmen(who are basically Bedouin). Very Arabic sounding names, or just Semitic in general and that would certainly be a unique army IMO. If you make some of the SM's look like Tusken Raiders you will be my hero :HQ:

hehe space marine with tusks... hehehe yeah i like the idea of them recruiting from local tribesmen as they are a very isolated chapter and since all of them come from one tribe means links to the very closely knit social aspect of the chapter however i pictured them in a more african savannah type setting rather then a barren desert.... ( one of the staff at my local gw is determined for me to make my space marines hunt lions...) but yeah... their fortress could be situated on the border between the jungle and the open savannah plains and i think ime gonna take teh tribe recruiting idea....

keep the ideas coming!!!!!! (im thinking in the not so far future and if my painting doesnt embarass me ill turn this into a blog but yeah... thats still a while away)

EDIT: @The Thirst ZOMG SPACE MARINE MUKAALI RIDERS :jaw:

EDIT NUMBA 2!: i have a new decision to make.... im not sure whether to have them wearing alot of cloth and purity seal and cloaks etc to have a kind of arabic feel or have them quite bare with not to much extra detailing....

Well maybe they use Lions as prized companions like the Space Puppies do? Maybe make their scout bikers ride such noble creatures?

As for the whole tusks idea I'm not such a fan of. To close to the forces of Chaos who tend to proudly display tusks on their Terminators. The idea of doing Tallarn conversions with Forgeworld stuff I like. Though it should only really be done with Scouts. But as they are not desert based, it matters little. Maybe fashion them with spears rather than more traditional power weapons and have them use shields a lot?

When you said Savannah Chapter, the first thing that popped into my head was the Masai tribe of Kenya and Tanzania (I lived there fro seven years, so yeah). This could potentially bring on some interesting cultural developments for your Chapter, best discussed in the Liber Astartes sub-forum, but if I may make a painting recommendation: do tabards and capes in a black and red check pattern. If you do a little research on the Masai or ask me, you'll learn more about why.

Just a thought, coming out of the dark depths of my mind.

When you said Savannah Chapter, the first thing that popped into my head was the Masai tribe of Kenya and Tanzania (I lived there fro seven years, so yeah). This could potentially bring on some interesting cultural developments for your Chapter, best discussed in the Liber Astartes sub-forum, but if I may make a painting recommendation: do tabards and capes in a black and red check pattern. If you do a little research on the Masai or ask me, you'll learn more about why.

See I immediately thought of Zulus... Don't know how different they were.

See I immediately thought of Zulus... Don't know how different they were.

Well, considering the Zulus are in Southern Africa, and the Masai are in Eastern Africa, I'd estimate quite different. Is the Zulu culture centered around cattle and warriors?

You have a similar scheme to one I use. Black of course looks good with the tan & so does white. If you want a metallic color, then go with either silver or steel, gold is a warm color and will blend with the warm browns, the cool steel/silver will provide a better contrast. A muted yellow or red would compliment your scheme well too depending on how light or dark your tan is.

Here is the tan/brown scheme I use:

gallery_26418_4422_37828.jpg

guys thanks soooo much for the feedback its helped alot sorry for the delay of a test mini but my thin highlighting skills (if i have any) are failing me and making me angry... so the shoulder pads and gun casing on the test mini will not have the grey trim that i plan to have and about the red and black checkered pattern... im not too sure about that...

ok i will post the test mini in a matter of minutes plz plzzz plzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz excuse my horrible painting i get enough crap about it lol

for now i leave you with another idea of mine which seems popular at my local gw store but i thought id run it past you guys first i was thinking of making my transports (mainly rhinos i dont think itll work with a razorback) 'open-topped' giving them almost a safari jeep feel so i will be removing the cover/area where razorback gun goes and the bar behind it and making \_/ (turn upside down) shaped bars to cover the open area.... now if that made any sense good but if u need a better idea google 'safari jeeps' and you should get a bit of an idea :)

Archived