Assaulting vehicles & Subsequent movement

ArmouredWing

Here's a little something that cropped up during a recent game.

I had a couple of vehicles placed snuggly between the edge of the board and a solid (no moving through) building and as they presented a nice compacted target my opponent decided to assault them with some SM bikers. Now the outcome was that my vehicles were immobilised but not destroyed, however this left my opponent in a situation where he was still in BTB with my vehicles and wanting to move said bikers through the gap left between one of the exorcists and the building (approx 1 1/2" - 2"). At this point 'debate' ensued with my good friend and opponent stating that he could do it and me saying he couldn't because his move would bring him within 1" of the vehicle.

As it was I very generously (please note this Gone Fishing!!! heh heh heh) allowed my opponent to do this move that was from the front of the vehicle, around the side and off round the corner of the building where they were swiftly dispatched by IL Karamazov but the question remained in my head; when a vehicle is immobilised by a squad what movement would that squad be allowed to make to move but not to within 1" of the immobilised vehicle?

I think this might be a bit of a grey area but I'd be interested in how other handle it.

what do you mean greatcrusade?

if I assault a vehicle in my turn, and in my oppenents very next turn he doesnt move that vehicle in his movement phase I can assault it again in his assault phase?

Yes, the BRB is quite explicit on that one.

I've never heard of that, ever. :D

guess I'll be doing a lot more assaulting then, I still dont believe you can use your enemys assault phase basically as an extra free assault turn.

Free?

If the unit in BTB with the vehicle its not locked, can still be shot at, and isnt likely in assault with an enemy unit...

Oh, and your enemy has to have not moved, at all, not even a pivot.

page 63, vehicles and assaults under the sub heading successive turns.

"If a vehicle that has been assaulted, and has survived, does not move in its successive movement phase, enemy models will still be in base contact with it during its shooting and assault phase.... units that still have models in base contact with a vehicle in its assault phase may attack it as normal, just as in a normal ongoing combat."

Oh, and your enemy has to have not moved, at all, not even a pivot.

No they remain in BTB if the vehicle only pivots.

BRB pg. 63 " ...move these models out of the way as you shift the vehicle and then place them back into base contact......"

Ooh, missed that- thank you.

No, he cant move within 1" of an enemy model unless hes assaulting it. That part is pretty straight forward.

hed have to kill the tank completely in order to pass.

Nicely put sir, however it raises a further question. Could a unit move away from said vehicle in the subsequent turn or are they effectively locked in CC until either the vehicle is destroyed or moves away from the assaulting unit?

You can't be locked in CC with a vehicle (unless it's a walker). You can freely step away...and then charge in again if you wish. Or just stand there and keep swinging.

Here's a little something that cropped up during a recent game.

I had a couple of vehicles placed snuggly between the edge of the board and a solid (no moving through) building and as they presented a nice compacted target my opponent decided to assault them with some SM bikers. Now the outcome was that my vehicles were immobilised but not destroyed, however this left my opponent in a situation where he was still in BTB with my vehicles and wanting to move said bikers through the gap left between one of the exorcists and the building (approx 1 1/2" - 2"). At this point 'debate' ensued with my good friend and opponent stating that he could do it and me saying he couldn't because his move would bring him within 1" of the vehicle.

As it was I very generously (please note this Gone Fishing!!! heh heh heh) allowed my opponent to do this move that was from the front of the vehicle, around the side and off round the corner of the building where they were swiftly dispatched by IL Karamazov but the question remained in my head; when a vehicle is immobilised by a squad what movement would that squad be allowed to make to move but not to within 1" of the immobilised vehicle?

I think this might be a bit of a grey area but I'd be interested in how other handle it.

AW as I was there and we discussed this at the time, no you cant be within 1 inch of the vehicle but it was a 2 inch gap meaning he could go through it (base width and 1 inch spare).

No, he cant move within 1" of an enemy model unless hes assaulting it. That part is pretty straight forward.

hed have to kill the tank completely in order to pass.

Nicely put sir, however it raises a further question. Could a unit move away from said vehicle in the subsequent turn or are they effectively locked in CC until either the vehicle is destroyed or moves away from the assaulting unit?

You cannot be locked in combat with a (non walker) vehicle so yes of course you can move away and re-asault if you wish.

Yes, if there was a 2" gap you were fine- GWs 25mm rounds are just a smidge under an inch after all.

In either case, the vehicle assault rules are as weve all noted.

Hopefully this is all cleared up then?

Yes, if there was a 2" gap you were fine- GWs 25mm rounds are just a smidge under an inch after all.

In either case, the vehicle assault rules are as weve all noted.

Hopefully this is all cleared up then?

Looks like it, it is after all real clear in the rules *smacks self*

Archived