Chaplain Dreadnought

tiny sam

This is a Chaplain Dreadnought for my Order of St-Gregory's army. they are Sons of Dorn and realy zealous (like the Black templar but less crusading).

I try to give a knighly stature for my chaplain, like a paragon of the astartes rather than a priest of death (that's why he's not full of skulls)

i'll be using this guy as an IronClad Dreadnought.

like the tittle said, it has been converted from an AoBR Dread.

gallery_16134_2973_337435.jpg

The arm are fully changeable (the storm bolter and the Heavy Flamer being magnetized)

gallery_16134_2973_1143733.jpg

with an additionnal Close Combat arm, Leading the charge!

gallery_16134_2973_829711.jpg

what's left to do include building new hoze for the leg as I cut the old one to reposition the legs, and Green-stuffing a dreadnought size loin cloth as all of my army as one.

if you think of something else please feel free to propose... in fact any critics, advice, comments and the like are welcomed.

The hand needs some work. It just looks glue on.

I also really dont like the 8 pointed Skull but that is a gripe with GWs AoBR models more then anything.

The Head looks alittle funny to me but that might just be me.

Are you using it as an Iron Clad then?

I think your right Bob

about the skull I'll try replacing with something else.

and you right to about the hand! I think i'll put a plating on it that cover the back of the hand, like a gauntlet.

and yes It will be an IronClad, I think it easily represent more the Chaplain approach of combat than a Venereable one.

As for the head it came from the Avatar of menoth

http://store.miniwargaming.com/images/P/avatar_of_menoth_box_full.jpg

and for now I'll stick with it (maybe be if there is more objection <_<)

maybe adding some wings to the torso would perhaps make it more distinctly Chaplain-ish?

any Idea of what I could use?

Lord Antares, would it be better if the colomn alone was exceeding the base? I used an old dread and the right foot is permenantly glued to the base... preventing the position changes.

any Idea of what I could use?

Uhh... Can't say I thought that far :)

As for the base, I think the only problem with the column overhang is that it may pose a problem in HtH but other than that I can't see an issue. Plus the leg posing is too cool to change imho :)

I think I find something.

the Angel Icon from the dark angel sprue.

I cut It in 2 and then use only the back half of the wing

but I'm not sure how I should position them

as a reinforce armor covering the front cable

gallery_16134_2973_18175.jpg

or as a decoration showing the cables

gallery_16134_2973_131152.jpg

I also begin the work on the gauntlet previously mentioned.

gallery_16134_2973_159404.jpg

That's pretty sweet. May have to try to find that banner head- I've got a Terminator Chaplain in the works on whom that would be good for his Crozius quarterstaff.

The cestus plating really did improve the hand- I think it looked okay before but now it's just plain cool as hell.

You should paint it (say I so hypocritically).

Yes it's a dwarven banner. actualy It's the back of the banner I put the tank size aquila body between the "wings" of the banner. then I made cast and apply it on the other side.

I put an edge on the gauntlet, something like the front plating.

looking back at the pictures, I think I'll use the wing as decoration. it look to Night lordish when it' around the head.

@Darius Macab: the model looks fine but they are to disproportionate for us to use. the avatar of menoth shown previously has leg the size of a BigBoss leg. it might do bionics for a terminator but not realy much and the hand is the one I used on the dreadnought arm.

@Imperial_dominatus: I think it's from the DA veteran kit (needed guys with robe for other project...)

Its looking alot better now. I really like the wings covering the Cables myself.

The head might look better painted. now that I see the shape alittle better. It's interesting at the very least.

The Fist is also looking very good with even just that one piece of tubbing.

Very nice work man, epic posing I must say. It add some dynamics to the very boring posing of most dreadnaughts. The custom Sarcophagus housing is also very impressive. And a Giant Crozius Arcanum as a DCCW is definitely very nice.

I do have some gripes though.....

The head, while very cool looking, just doesn't scream Chaplain to me. What would look great would be the skull type helmet from the chaos marine sprue.

The other gripe is that right leg. As I said before, the posing is great, but the lack of detail and for lack of a better word "Realism" at the knee joint is really gunna hurt that model when the paint is on it.

Just my two cents.

At the end of the day it's your model man, so if you like it, paint it up and go whip some heretic ass! lol!

Great job, hope he does you proud on the field.

I finaly opt for the wings covering the cable, after staring at both picture for a good 5 minutes I begin to like the effect of this option.

Cpt Tiberious your right about the knees, I put a small border on both leg protection making it mask the low quality joint of the AoBR model.

I'll post picture tomorow for my camera's battery is dead now.

thanks to you all for the advices it really help to see all the details!

EDIT: people who don't like the head count : 2

As promised the pictures!

First I fixed the knee joint after the remark of Cpt Tiberious

I put a plate extension to hide the plain joint of the AoBR dread.

gallery_16134_2973_112091.jpg

and from the front (showing the wing final position.)

gallery_16134_2973_516579.jpg

I did the final version of the cestus gauntlet:

gallery_16134_2973_102399.jpg

And I fixed the custom made Melta gun

gallery_16134_2973_192876.jpg

side view with the crozius

gallery_16134_2973_581185.jpg

and again critics, remark, suggestion, comment are all accepted and welcomed

Archived