Sons of Orar blog

Ravendove

No update, but just wanted to answer some questions and feedback while I'm sitting on my lunch break. Thanks for posting everyone! They're definitely not GD standard or anything, but positive feedback is pushing me to keep painting - which is a good thing! Please don't hesitate to criticise either, I want to improve as this project continues.

I woud paint the purity seals green, the eyes are already green and i woud suggest you reduce the amount of colors. Green is also a wonderfull contrast to red. By the way your red is fantastic , is the red spray from army painter any good ?

Sons of Orar are a wonderfull opportunity to use these new FW heresy bits. You seem to be a talented fella so i think you will youse them wisely.

A few people have suggested green seals and after testing it out on a model, I quite like it. On the subject of Army Painter, I'm very very happy with the spray. I know some people considering it 'cheating', but there just wasn't any way I was going to get a whole army done otherwise. Compared to GW sprays, it can be a little grainy due to the heavy pigment - so I make sure conditions are right (not too dry, not too damp, etc) and use several light coats. After a wash and the basecoat, you can't even tell.

what did you do for the bases? also, that gold is particularly stricking --- how did you achieve it?

Do you mean the Land Speeder base? It's done with Black undercoat, Scorched brown basecoat with Bestial Brown and Bleached Bone drybrush. I'm not too happy with it, but I'm struggling to find a nice and simple base that looks good. I can't decide if I want a dark and muddy base or a light, sandy base. Either would contrast quite well with the red.

Gold is done like this:

1. Iyanden Darksun base

2. Shining Gold all over

3. Gryphonne Sepia

4. Burnished Gold, leaving recesses

5. Gryphonne Sepia

6. Mithril Silver on extreme edges

I have that same lamp, God bless Ikea eh?

Looking good, I just think you should clean off the edges of the base to make them smooth and beveled like regular 40k bases.

Yeah, I love this lamp! I agree the base edges look a bit rough, but they're very hard to file down (I've tried) because they're actually made of a kind of magnetized rubber. Have you ever tried using a file on rubber?

New models look great. One thing...I see you've drilled out the heavy bolter on the land speeder using the normal pin vice drill bit which is way too small for the heavy bolter barrel. Maybe try and find a bigger drill big and enlarge the bore or just paint the middle black. it looks really weird having a tiny hole on a heavy bolter barrel.

I'm glad someone noticed this, because I had forgotten completely. I've already ordered new drill bits.

Thanks for your input - this is definitely something I will look at. I've had some comments from other people that the white is 'too bright' - what do you think?

I would agree that the white may be be a little too bright, but i don't think that takes anything away from the model at all! I do think though if you were to darken the recess' of the vent that might go some way to reduce the brightness of the white or at least pull the eye from the overall brightness. :)

As for your musings over the command squad i think it would be nice to see them with shields, they don't all have to be wielding them but you could have a few models with shields on their backs and this would add a sense of unit cohesion.

I have to agree with batu and suggest that you try green for the purity seal colour. :)

Another vote for green! Yes, I think a Command Squad fully kitted out with round shields would look quite nice, you're right. Having some of the slung over the shoulder on the back is quite a good idea!

Thoughts on progress so far

So it looks like the Tactical Squad and Rhino will be finished this week, accompanied by the Land Speeder. I now have a choice of where to go next: finish the Scout Squad, do another member of the Command Squad or start the 2nd Tactical Squad. Any requests?

I now have a choice of where to go next: finish the Scout Squad, do another member of the Command Squad or start the 2nd Tactical Squad. Any requests?

I think finish the scout squad and get those out of the way, then move to the tactical squad. I think the command aquad would be better to do after the other models as you can then gauge the feel of the force, and make little extra touches on the command squad models to make them stand out even more, like on the company champion. :devil:

Rhino

So the Rhino is almost complete. I've templated and painted a large Tactical arrow on the hatch, but someone suggested I invert the colours (red arrow on white doors). I've included a Photoshop mockup of how it would look - what do people think? Which looks better?

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4152/5054985046_d3a8b9f660_z.jpg

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4153/5054366513_c9d0744298_z.jpg

Looks good; I'll watch this thread for sure.

Not sure if anyone said, but I'd experiment with black wax on the purity seals. It will stand away from the red armor, but not grab the eye the way a green might, and it won't add any colors to your pallet.

Agree with the ambulance comment.

Maybe reserve the inverted door scheme for an apothecarion rhino...

Kudos for your execution. I love to see armies like this (BTW don't stop short of a full army!). I'm impressed with colour (hue and shade) choice and placement especially on the champion model. Red and gold/brass that does not remind me of Khorne due to the white. Spectacular.

Only the awkward question; only the foolish ask twice.

+++ Thought for the day +++

Finished Rhino

Thanks for your answers, I agree that the white arrow looks the better one. I've now finished painting the cupola, storm bolter and weathering. Perses is the Greek god of destruction.

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4092/5056649260_67618b7ac0_z.jpg

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4126/5056033287_5a86f04e84_z.jpg

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4108/5056033935_e58e0dd2c2_z.jpg

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4133/5056033751_2cd445eeee_z.jpg

I'm worried the vehicle looks a little bland, but I want to keep the vehicles relatively plain. I'll go balls out on the Command Squad and Sternguard rides, though I think. Might add some more 'wet mud' on the tracks. If anybody cares, I'm using the Tamiya Weathering Sticks. Light Earth colour gets applied to a large thick brush and drybrushed on, while Mud colour is mixed with a little bit of GW Water Effects and water (about a 1:1:1 mix) and slapped on.

Perses was the TITAN god of destruction in Greek mythology, rather than the god of destruction, slight difference. :rolleyes:

As for the Rhino, outstanding work as always! I don't think it is bland at all, i think people can over "decorate" vehicles at times when usually the simplist always look the best, like yours. Love it.

Perses was the TITAN god of destructionin Greek mythology, rather than the god of destruction, slight difference. :D

As your the Rhino, outstanding work as always! I don't think it is bland at all, i think people can over "decorate" vehicles at times when usually the simplist always look the best, like yours. Love it.

Thanks! I might go back and add a purity seal on the front and maybe on one of the doors, see how it goes. For now I need to stop tinkering with it, move on and finish the Tactical Squad.

PS. Well, you say that, but the two terms are pretty much interchangeable. Perses was born from Gaia and Uranus, primordial dieties and among the first beings that came into existence - Titans ruling as Elder Gods until being usurped by Olympian gods (Zeus and so forth). Just a different 'class' of diety, I guess. But whatever, it's not important. Yes, you are basically correct, Perses was a Titan. But Titans were also gods. :P

Thanks! I might go back and add a purity seal on the front and maybe on one of the doors, see how it goes.

Yeh that would work well i think. :D

Yes, you are basically correct, Perses was a Titan. But Titans were also gods. :P

:D

Hey Ravendove,

Great work you're doing, the red is quite frankly amazing. The only criticism i have is about the sons of orar symbol on the rhino. They look too much like upside down ultramarines symbols to me. I think it would look better if you added two little tips on the end, like the symbol on the right:

gallery_37830_3960_3471.jpg

Just my opinion, though. Keep it up.

Absolutely amazing work. Truly.

However, I agree that your rhino's front would benefit from some sort of decoration. An Aquila or omega symbol are the obvious choices. Also, I think some purity seals stuck around the hull would help too.

Great work you're doing, the red is quite frankly amazing. The only criticism i have is about the sons of orar symbol on the rhino. They look too much like upside down ultramarines symbols to me. I think it would look better if you added two little tips on the end[...]

I can see your point, however what I have done is used the Ultramarines brass etchings. I would not be able to paint on these tips without it looking uneven, so my only options then would be to paint all symbols or make them out of plasticard or similar. I like the uniformity of the brass etch, and will probably stick with these. But thanks for your suggestion.

However, I agree that your rhino's front would benefit from some sort of decoration. An Aquila or omega symbol are the obvious choices. Also, I think some purity seals stuck around the hull would help too.

I agree - I will be adding some more detail this week.

HOW DO YOU DO RED SO WELL!!

i hurts me that i cannot achieve such awesomeness.

you must show me how!...please? :)

I have described the colours I use in the first post, but I will try to post a step-by-step picture guide on how I do the red. It's pretty easy though :sweat:

Tactical Squad

Here are the last few members of the first Tactical Squad. Just need to finish the arms and bolters.

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4127/5072818753_bd53159237_z.jpg

Rhino

I've added a couple of purity seals to the hull (front and side door). Looks better already, so thanks for that suggestion.

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4092/5073418898_5bcc3a2188_z.jpg

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4015/5073995937_f008436cb7_z.jpg

I have a really random question to ask,

That tactical squad head on the far left of the above picture.... where did it come from? I've got a HUGE assortment of bitz and I'm a keen person for un-helmeted heads, but I can't say I remember that one (Or maybe I need to look more carefully at my sprues?)

Also, I know it's already painted, but I liked the white roof doors with the red Arrow, as the other side doors are white.... so... It just keeps it together, but as I say, too late lol!

Love the models though. Keep them coming!

Archived