Ultramarine test model

chaplainmikey

Hi,

Whilst at Games day i picked up the Space Marine codex and the Black Reach box with the intention of building an UltraMarines army.

Today i started assembling the models and after putting a few of the marines together decided i'd best do a test model, and after flicking through the codex, settled on the 4th company.

Heres the finished model(besides the base,obviously):

http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s301/mikeymouatt/th_Photo0389.jpg

http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s301/mikeymouatt/th_Photo0388.jpg

http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s301/mikeymouatt/th_Photo0387.jpg

http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s301/mikeymouatt/th_Photo0390.jpg

I'm quite happy with the results though the camera doesn't really pick up the highlights on the blue Power Armour and the freehand Ultra symbols could have benn alot better.

For the bases I'm thinking an Urban snowy theme would look good against the blue Armour.

Thoughts and C&C welcome.

Cheers,

Mike.

It's a solid blue, and the green trim is good.

The battle damage may be a little overdone, but then again, I eschew it completely (my marines maintain their armor). The gun should be red though, shouldn't it?

I agree about the snowy base thing as well. It would indeed make a nice contrast.

@ AyanamiKun: I disagree. They don't look hideous - they're remains from a time long past, the third edition. Sure, 5th edition's supposed to be much more grimdark, and the Imperium is bursting with blind madmen, but then again, what is a knight without his colours? Aye, a poor lonesome fool on a horse wearing a 40 pound dress of steel. Heavy and deadly, yet somewhat forlorn.

@ chaplainmikey: I really like your nickname - why, as Mike myself and an admirer of Space Marine Chaplains I just have to ^^

Jokes aside - I like your model. Seriously. It ain't perfect, but mine are neither.

I like the fourth company - be sure to read the Ultramarines novels if you haven't - and so I welcome you as one of my new battle brothers.

Concerning your recipe - I'd suggest you use some darklining. Just water down a 50/50 mix of Regal Blue and Chaos Black and paint it into the recesses of the armour, and bang, here you are. Also, your Ultramarine could use some stronger highlighting. I for one used Ultramarines blue as a first highlight, then added a small line of Ice Blue as a second. You can see the results in my Ultramarines thread (just click the link in my signature).

Thanks for the feedback guys!

Concerning your recipe - I'd suggest you use some darklining. Just water down a 50/50 mix of Regal Blue and Chaos Black and paint it into the recesses of the armour, and bang, here you are. Also, your Ultramarine could use some stronger highlighting. I for one used Ultramarines blue as a first highlight, then added a small line of Ice Blue as a second. You can see the results in my Ultramarines thread (just click the link in my signature).

I've began to think the same thing having looked through numerous Ultramarine pictures on the net.I think i will definitley go for a darker base and use Ultramarines blue as a first hardline highlight like you suggest.Enchanted blue doesnt really show too well over Ultrablue. :thanks:

I like the fourth company - be sure to read the Ultramarines novels if you haven't - and so I welcome you as one of my new battle brothers.

Actually my Fiancee has bought me the first Omnibus for our anniversary.She even had it signed by Graham McNeil at Gamesday. ;)

I'm going to have a crack at a darker recipe and i'll post the results whe they are finished.

Thanks again,

Mike.

Actually my Fiancee has bought me the first Omnibus for our anniversary.She even had it signed by Graham McNeil at Gamesday. :P

I'm going to have a crack at a darker recipe and i'll post the results whe they are finished.

So jealous :rolleyes:

My girlfriend hates almost everything about my hobby - especially Space Marines are to her what "Grey's Anatomy" is to me: not simply boring, but a potential target for the Angels of Death. Of course, she'd express emotions like these somewhat different, but after all, she thinks the same about 'em.

Anyway, cheers for such a fine girl ^^

So jealous

My girlfriend hates almost everything about my hobby - especially Space Marines are to her what "Grey's Anatomy" is to me: not simply boring, but a potential target for the Angels of Death. Of course, she'd express emotions like these somewhat different, but after all, she thinks the same about 'em.

Anyway, cheers for such a fine girl ^^

Ah thats a shame man.

If it makes you feel any better i have to endure countless hours of American Teen dramas.She actually managed to sit through a full season of a programme called the O.C. in a day and a half!

Anywho,i've painted another Marine,though i messed up badly on the mixing so the basecoat isnt really much darker and thus it looks almost similar to the marine posted at the top.Ah well.

Maybe get pics up later.

Cheers,

Mike.

Hi.

Today i spent the afternoon painting the rest of my balck reach squad,hoping to get through them as soon as so i can get on to painting the captain.

Unfortunatly it got dark before i was able to finish them,though i did manage to get alot of work done.

http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s301/mikeymouatt/th_Photo0398.jpg

Whilst i was at it i took a quick snap of the 2 marines i've already finished.

http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s301/mikeymouatt/th_Photo0400.jpg

Hopefully i'll be able to get them all finished and based tomorrow.

Cheers,

Mike.

I use the P3 Armor Wash on all of my minis to add some dark shadows in all the recesses. Its also good to tone down the "shine" on some of the metallics.

Archived