Need help with an 1500pt Rapid DS assault

Br0ther Rafen

So what do you guys think of the new list?

Were I you, I'd take vanilla Sternguard to start and play with their ammo types; drop the heavy flamers. It's okay to take Power Fists as long as the sergeants also have boltguns. In fact, I *always* take a power fist, at least one per unit that can take one.

Otherwise, it looks like a fine place to start. I think you'll find Drop Podding tricky at best, easy to counter (for your opponent) at worst. But if you do things they don't expect and think things through before plopping your pods down, it'll go okay. Either way, it'll very likely be a fun list.

Thanks for the advice thade, wasn't to sure with list.

Anyway, i'm going to vs it against a friend of mine so i'll tell you how it goes in the battle report section :jaw:

Thanks for all of the advce guys, especially brother fatiswon and thade for the critism and help

heres the list that i made.

i'm not sure if i should keep Pedro, because i was think that the DP tacticals will pretty much capture objectives for the Sternguard, so any help/advice would be appreciated.

HQ Pedro Kantor 175

Troops

10x Tactical w/ MG ML DP Beacon 220pt

10x Tactical w/ MG fist MM DP 235pt

10x Tactical w/ PG PC Rhino 220pt*

5x tactical w/ Rhino 125pt

Elites

5x SG w/ PF 2xCMG DP 195pt

5x SG w/ 2xHF DP 180pt

Ironclad Dread w/ 2xHF DCCW SH 150pt*

i like it, but.. <pushes the salt across the table..>I'm seeing six scoring units. I've read it before, truth is, you only need 1 scoring unit at the end of the game, holding and you can use other non scoring units to contest objectives. I'm not saying change your list.. Run it, see how it works, see what doesn't..and like T said, think, be creative, and have fun with it.

* is your ICD walking, or dropping?? and the double plasma rhino squad: with as many scoring unit as you all ready have, i would like you to look at shifting this over to a 5 man:2 plasma cannon:devastator squad, in a rhino, using the 2 fire points...kept in at arms lenght... maybe at a HkM for tire popping a truck or wagon. 175-185 IIRC

One thing to keep in mind. While your intent is to drop the pods with the beacons first, sometimes you may be better off dropping different units first instead. If you play a few games with the beacons, and some without the beacons, you'll be better at determining if you feel you really need them or not.

Also, I suggest you try playing without Pedro, as well. As has been pointed out, his abilities don't quite mesh with a Drop Pod force. An HQ leading some teleporting terminators might suit you more, or a Master of the Forge in a Sternguard Pod. Also, most strict Drop Pod armies only have two scoring units with two Tactical Squads, which are generally the last units to arrive.

Oh, and it's generally a good idea to have an odd number of pods, so you can get as many on the board as possible, as soon as possible. Maybe throw out the mostly useless 5-man Squad in a Rhino, give a DP to your Ironclad, and use the rest of your points to beef up your Sternguard.

Yeah, i was thinking that i may aswell drop the 5x rhino unit after i posted it. the reason i took was because i wanted an extra back up rhino for some reason, or to last minute objective rush. Though you d have a point fatiswon, i could just simply contest it.....

How about, do as you suggested and drop the 5x rhino for a dev squad in rhino and move some points around for it. the ironclad and Pedro could go aswell i guess, or maye just pedro and give the dread a DP.... Yeah, i think that might be beter. don't have a codex right now, but i think that i can afford it if i drop Pedro and take away an upgrade or 2 (plasma tac squad are home objective so the PG is sorta just sitting there)

The problem is that i'll only have 1-2 troops on my home so i'm not sure if i can do a DP strike with 1 SU. Not sure on the course of action, what do you guys think?

The point of using multiple Drop Pods is to make your "home" where you land, so you don't need to bring units to hold a "home" objective. The goal in any objective mission is to contest any objective your opponent is trying to claim, and claim ONE objective for yourself.

If you're playing with only two objectives, you can make your opponent's home objective your home objective, and use some throw-away unit to contest the other objective, if necessary... better if you intercept any unit trying to get across the board to claim it.

With multiple objectives, the same philosophy applies. Kick your opponent off the objectives he wanted to claim, and claim the objective you know you can hold.

Well, my orginal plan was simply to do that, but except that i have a squad or 2 already their, so that way they are running into my guns, instead of do minor damage on a Rhino, for example, and then it speeds away to my home ojective to steal it. though i getting rid of Pedro does mean that i'm just trying to contest his ojective....

still, i think i'll try my list on for size and if it's not that great then i will give your advice a go. thanks ryjak.

btw do you run a DS army? because from what i'm reading it sounds (well, you know what i mean) like you have done this kind of thing plenty of times.

Have you done it, i'm curious now .

Actually, no, I have never played a drop pod/deep-strike army, but I have fought against several, and it's something I want to do. I just have to buy a bunch of drop pods, but I plan to use models for the Apollo re-entry vehicle instead of the GW Pods. Much cooler, in my mind. It's the original drop pod!

Archived