My sterguard load-out

Kronk

I'm starting a project using the Mark III Armor for my sternguard and I'd like some feedback on how to load them out.

I already have a unit of 10 sternguard: 7 bolters, 2 plasma gun, sergeant with powerfist.

For my second sternguard squad, I've purchased 15 troops worth of the Mark III armor so that I can swap out a few weapons if I need to.

My Plan:

5 bolters.

2 x Plasma Gunners

2 x melta gunners

2 x combi-plasma

2 x combi-melta

1 x Sergeant with Powerfist

1 x Sergeant with Powersword + Meltabombs

This would let me run squads like:

* 5 bolters, 2 combi-melta, 2 melta, sergeant in a rhino or drop pod

* 5 bolters, 2 combi-plasma, 2 plasma, sergeant in a rhino or drop pod

* 6 total dudes in a razorback

* Combat Squad: 1 bolter + the meltas AND sergeant + the Plasmas combat squaded from a drop pod. Melta's wreck a transport, plasmas kill the passengers.

* Also, when I make a 10 man squad, it leaves enough to make another 5 man squad (with a sergeant).

Does that sound like a solid, versitile build for 15 troops?

I'm no expert at using Sternguard...I only have one unit of them, a small six man, two combi-meltas, all bolterguns otherwise.

I wouldn't give a sternguard model a plasma gun because they already come with a solid AP solution..what they don't have is mobile anti-weapon, which is where the melta guns come in. That said, hellfire rounds are epic anti-infantry, so I wouldn't want to give up a bolter, esp. if I'm trying to save on points.

Sternguard are about adaptability, but they are pretty expensive, so you want to take into account how they are no more durable than your other marines but pack some adapta-a-punch...how do you want to use them? If I can use some other unit to crack open a transport, so much the better: Sternguard are anti-infantry by nature. They have combi-meltas just incase NOTHING ELSE I have was able to crack the transport, and there's 1. nothing else to shoot at, 2. it's time to pop that particular transport. As for AP3 vs AP2...not sure I'd send my Sternguard after terminators, but I might.

That all said, I'd still paint them and use them; they sound fun. =)

Thanks, Thade. I like my plasma on my sternguard because, in a pinch, they can slow down or pop a rhino (at least on paper), can wound Eldar Wraithlords, and can cause instant death on Eldar HQ's (I play against Eldar a lot). That's something that the special ammuntion can't do.

I'll still have the anti-vehicle option with the combi-meltas and meltas.

Perhaps I'll run one mission with a pair of rhinos/razorbacks:

Rhino/Razorback 1: 6 man sternguard (Sergeant, bolter, combi-meltas, meltas)

Rhino/Razorback 2: 6 man sternguard (Sergeant, bolter, combi-plasmas, plasmas) (or just bolters and sergeant)

Pop a transport with the melta squad, kill the riders with the plasma squad. Or, if points don't allow, just have the second rhino with a tactical squad and the volley of fire should do them in.

In my mind, sternguard are at their best as close fire support, with some points spent for flexibility. That means I usually like 3-6 combimeltas (depending on squad size) to allow them to credibly threaten heavy vehicles. Otherwise, they melt exposed infantry, and should be optimized in that regard. For me, that means 1-2 heavy flamers. In their proper rhino transport, you get two Flamer templates out of the hatch, with the option to climb out and sweep up weakened infantry.

Plasma in the hands of the Vet stat line marine, should be done only in a command squad with 3 more plasma guns and Feel no pain. i would model 1 sgt with PF+SA bolter, 10 SG w/SA bolters, 2 w/HFL, for a total of 13 models, and use the remaining 2 MkIII to kit bash a count as kantor and a count as Tiggie/libby for even more fun than should be allowed with dice and little plastic/metal army men.

if your a plasma addict: you may think about running dual capts with plasma pistols,melta bombs,Storm shields, with 2 plasma gun spammed squads (x4 pg each) put em both in drop pods, maybe take 3 baseline MM dreads in pods, for the magical odd number pod drop... that's about 1100 points, add in a full tactical with a PF,Mg,LC in a pod and a 5 man scout squad in a land speeder storm, leave about 30 points left to gear up those scouts..

just a thought.

My most successful runs with my sternguard have been when I've held them in a transport in reserves and the come in mid-to-late game and help support my back lines. By then if I'm in trouble (or if I played a forward game banking on my reserves and fallbacks to retake my own stuff late), my opponent will have one or more infantry units behind my lines, likely disembarked and firing on my fortifications (or assaulting me, if it's really late). Sternguard rolling in at this point means they can bring their *significant* anti-infantry firepower to bear on them.

In general, charging forward with your most expensive units is an invitation to get them focus-fired early. I usually hold the expensive ones back and send in as many ground-pounders as i can, so they have to think about who to shoot at.

With some experience I can say -

1. A 5 man sternguard with plasma cannons and a PW make a good, small bodyguard for "stay behind" ICs like Kantor, or take the full squad and do the same.

2. Mobile sternguard or podding sternguard are best with a collection of meltaguns, or adding in heavy flamers (the only non-terminator foot unit to have them).

3. Right now I use a 10-man, typically 2 mg, 2 cmg, sergeant with pf and bolter. Get them near the danger point and put some hurt on the enemy. Rapid fire vengeance on SMEs, other rounds as approp on other enemies. I used to tour them around with a librarian, but then they become a more important priority. Now they just drive around or pod in solo.

Ming, on your 3rd point, do you find that giving a sternguard a meltagun instead of a combi-melta reduces your effectiveness? You're losing their ability to shoot special ammo.

Ming, on your 3rd point, do you find that giving a sternguard a meltagun instead of a combi-melta reduces your effectiveness? You're losing their ability to shoot special ammo.

I'm not answering for Ming but I wanted to chime in on this point.

I think that the only times its appropriate to replace a Sternguard's Bolter is with either the Plasma Cannon or Meltagun. The first because its one of the better ways to fit that great weapon into your army for cheap and the second, because it offers the Sternguard something that the rest of their ammo doesn't and thats good anti-tank. Plus a S8 AP1 blast to the face will ruin anythings day.

You don't need the other weapons because you can replicate their effect with your Bolters well enough.

Yes, Minigun has said it well!

"Defender" Sternguuard are great with Plasma Cannons because they are as cheap as anything you can get for them, and can really address deep striking units striving to get in your backfield, as well as reach forward to pop cheap transports (and SMEs in general).

"Attacking" Sternguard get the benefit of meltaguns as they are assault weapons, instakill anything T4 or less, and can give you what you need to pop landraiders or other transports.

My collection has as many combimeltas as I can get. I use them to round out points into the sternguard. Ideally, I'd like the unit to have 2 MGs and 4 CMGs, as that gives you enough power if combat squadding to take down two dreads or 2 landraider equivalents when you need it most.

Overall, if you go to 3++'s website he is doing a review on the SM codex, and believes that Sternguard are the most important unit to have besides librarians and captains. They are a big proponent of MG/CMG sternguard.

I know they're cheap for it, but I don't find that taking long-ranged weapons like Las-Cannons and Plasma Cannons maximize the strengths of Sternguard. The fact that they're more efficient at it than Codex: Space Marines Devastators isn't exactly a sterling endorsement. For an addition to your firebase in your elites slot, I think the Rifleman Dread beats them hands-down.

And the guy who runs 3++ is the New Black isn't "3++"... he's Kirby ;)

Would love to see an Arena of Death Match of a Rifleman Dread vs same points in Sternguard....see who wins that one....

I've already seen in games:

Ping...enemy dread and libby with 10 tac marines pod down side by each to threaten SM gunline. Turn 1. Do their best.

Ping...10 sternguard pod down with libby, avenger, PFs, 2xMG, 4x CMG, between the two enemy pods. Marines combat squad - sergeant with PF and 2MG/3CMG face the dread. 5 sternguard and libby vs the enemy libby and 10 tacs. Libby avenges, marines use vengeance, meltaguns all fire....on my mark....

Poof...dread explodes. Phlooom...enemy libby and tacs dead. Sternguard (minus 1 or 2 from using vengeance rounds) and libby then uses the cluster of three pods for cover till their next turn...then gate away to next target....

You wanna drop pod sternies. I did it with my Salamander army that I painted and sold. Each of the two 10man squads had:

2 heavy flamers

4 combi-meltas

4 combi-flamers

Oh, you have a 2+ save? Go ahead and make 40+ armor saves. Oh you're a Trygon? Goodnight. Rerollable goodness.

Obviously other armies don't get Vulkan's benefits.. My ultimate point is that I am making a 30 sternguard army to replace my Sallies because of how awesome the Sternguard with the above setup worked.

I hope this helps, guys.

Droppoddroppoddroppoddroppod, by the way.

I use my Sternguard as a spearhead unit, driving forward into the enemy to inflict the most amount of damage possible. Therefore I use a 9 man squad with 2 heavy flamers, a power fist and a Rhino, accompanied by a Libby with Avenger and Null Zone. This unit is very much the crux of my attack, and it can decimate enemy units through a combination of 3 flamer templates and rapid firing special rounds into the enemy. IMO, this range band is where the Sternguard are most useful, and so therefore heavy flamers are a fantastic buy, being assault weapons with high strength, good AP and the ability to hit multiple people.

However, despite that my unit does lack on anti-tank, and it relies on other units in the army to take out big vehicles. Therefore I've been considering dropping the heavy flamers for some combi-meltas, which, although perhaps dropping their overall killing potential against infantry, makes them more versatile, able to take out tanks, while still being dangerous against enemy infantry.

Ping...10 sternguard pod down with libby, avenger, PFs, 2xMG, 4x CMG, between the two enemy pods. Marines combat squad - sergeant with PF and 2MG/3CMG face the dread. 5 sternguard and libby vs the enemy libby and 10 tacs. Libby avenges, marines use vengeance, meltaguns all fire....on my mark....

Did I miss something? Since when can Drop Pods hold more than 10 guys?

Did I miss something? Since when can Drop Pods hold more than 10 guys?

C:SM Drop Pods can hold 12 guys in power armour, (6 in Terminator armour or 1 Dreadnought). So you can get a couple of people in the Drop Pod to support your Sternguard (or Lysander). The only transport vehicle in C:SM that I can think of with transport capacity of 10 is the Rhino. I'm not sure about the Drop Pods for C:BA, but I'm pretty sure the C:DA and C:SW ones can only hold 10 people.

As a Crimson Fist player I run with Kantor and of course end up being Sternguard heavy. I'm surprised Phosis was the first to mention the heavy flamer.

I typically run 2 units of SG, 1 10 man and a second of 5-10. I usually end up splitting the full 10 man so the SGT has a power weapon or fist depending on which character I attach to them. This forms a core assault unit. SGT with PW or PF, heavy flamer and 2 combi meltas. (If running against horde I will either switch out the combi meltas with combi flamers or just try to add them in.)

For the other group I keep them back as ojbective holders and usually give at least one of them some sort of long range heavy hitting power like Plasma Cannons or Las Cannons. Cheaper than devestators and of course, with Kantor = scoring.

And I NEVER drop pod my SG. I tried that a couple of times after I got back into 40k and found that was a sure way to get them killed and quickly. (Of course, I have learned that anything I pod in gets killed within 2 turns on average.) Maybe other players have had better luck with podding them.

EDIT: Bottom line: I never put regular plasma guns or melta guns as you take away your ability to utilize the special ammo. That is what makes the SG special in the first place since it means they can tackle a variety of situations. That versitality is what makes them essential units IMO.

• 1 month later...

Personally I run a 5man or even 6man in Drop Pod w/ 1 Meltagun, 1 Heavy Flamer, 3-4 Combi-Meltas = Death from above.

just the sheer amount of stopping power from such a relatively small force makes quite the impression on the opponents especially when they take out something like a full unit of Battlesuits, wraithlords, etc. with the heavy flamer you can also deal with infantry in combination with hellfire rounds to quickly add up the wounds. Its pretty much a basic Cookie Cutter combination (5man with load out is around 155pts) that is cheep and efficient, now whether they survive the enemies turn is another thing, especially if you Dropped them into a dense area of foes.

Mine has a total of 2x combiflamers, 4x combiplas, and 4x combimeltas with a powerfist on the sarge. I went heavy on combis because I want the added punch you can get from special weapons without sacrificing their ability to fire the special ammo. Haven't had the chance to try 'em out, but they're intended for a drop pod in a Pedro army.

Archived