May any marine squad Deep Strike?

MaleOpener

No. The only C:SM units capable of Deep Strike are

-Terminator armor equipped characters and Terminator Squads via Teleport.

-Jumppack equipped characters and Jumppack equipped Assault and Vanguard Veteran squads.

-Tactical squads, Sternguard Veteran squads, Vanguard Veteran squads, Devastator squads, Assault squads, Characters with an Honor Guard or Command Squad, and Dreadnoughts equipped with Drop Pods.

-Landspeeder squadrons

-Legion of the Damned

The short way to tell is:

- If it has a jump pack, TDA, or is riding in a Drop Pod, it can Deep Strike; some vehicles can also deep strike (ie Land Speeders).

- If you can't give the model one of these things, it cannot Deep Strike.

When in doubt, check to see if either the unit itself has the Deep Strike rule (or a special rule that incorporates Deep Strike), or if a piece of wargear or a dedicated transport that the unit has paid for grants Deep Strike.

Blood Ravens virtually all teleport in, so what you say is true for them too.

If you ever feel bad for not having an all-deep striking army tho, talk to your local Demons player. Deep Strike only can SUCK...esp for demons tho, as they are almost all assault-based, so they just plop in and soak a round of shooting.

If you ever feel bad for not having an all-deep striking army tho, talk to your local Demons player. Deep Strike only can SUCK...esp for demons tho, as they are almost all assault-based, so they just plop in and soak a round of shooting.

Indeed. My girlfriend plays Daemons and I hear no end of complaints regarding that rule (to which the reply is most often "Well you chose them!"..."But I chose them to PAINT!"..."Just use them in WFB then!" etc).

Of course the fact that they have an invulnerable save (and thus you can never be 100% sure of being able to kill them) sort of makes up for it. In a recent game my friend played as Tau and essentially had to focus the shooting from half of his army just to take out a single squad of Bloodletters. Same for a three-man squad of Tzeentch Flamers and it took two turns to kill them off! Admittedly his rolling was terrible and hers was above average, but still...

So imagine all the negatives of deep striking without Drop Pods, but with none of the bonuses Daemons get (invulnerable saves, fearless, icons)... A frustrating army to play as, I'd wager.

Indeed. My girlfriend plays Daemons and I hear no end of complaints regarding that rule (to which the reply is most often "Well you chose them!"..."But I chose them to PAINT!"..."Just use them in WFB then!" etc).

Of course the fact that they have an invulnerable save (and thus you can never be 100% sure of being able to kill them) sort of makes up for it.

It is called a Psycannon my friend or the Flamestorm cannon on the GKLRR

@ OP consider making some kind of teleport marker and using the drop pod rules... I know it isn't the same but I'm sure people would be cool with it and then the drop pod assault rule would be much like Deathwings... Deathwing assault where they teleport in :tu: and that is the other idea... if you wanted to do the Hawk Lords first company... maybe you could use Deathwing :< I realise normal termies can teleport but this would allow you to take them as troops and then maybe you could work some other units around them...

Of course the fact that they have an invulnerable save (and thus you can never be 100% sure of being able to kill them) sort of makes up for it.

Try fielding a single Librarian in a Land Raider with Null Zone. 24" range, they have to reroll all their invuln saves. They die in droves.

It's pretty broken, really; I don't feel demons were fairly taken into consideration when Null Zone was written up in 5th ed.

Sorry for the digression. <3 Bottom line, the original question was answered.

It is called a Psycannon my friend or the Flamestorm cannon on the GKLRR

Try fielding a single Librarian in a Land Raider with Null Zone. 24" range, they have to reroll all their invuln saves. They die in droves.

Good hints, but neither particularly useful for my Tau friend :tu: Nonetheless I look forward to getting* a Librarian. The gorgeous new Forgeworld model perhaps?

[*Had one in my 4th ed army, but long story short, not using those models for my new chapter]

Sorry for the thread derail, MaleOpener.

The BIG difference for marines would be Rapid Firing Bolters and special weapons.

Demons have such issues with deep strike because the only thing they can do after dropping in, for most of their units, is to run in order to spread out vs templates.

Wich does nothing to help them against the majority of the firepower theyll face.

I'd like to know if any marine squad can deep strike.

I'm interested in starting a Hawk Lords chapter list, but the fluff says they don't use drop pods.

Thanks in advance.

If you want to be able to deep strike, then just take Drop Pods when that would be helpful for you. I wouldn't get to hung up on the fluff in this regard, as all you are doing to giving yourself a disadvantage, with no advantage to counterbalance it. If you want to figure out a way to meet the fluff (if that is ultimately more important to you), then do as one of the other fellas suggested and use Drop Pod rules for the "Teleportation" of your Squads onto the tabletop.

Valerian

Archived