Lemartes, Death Company Chaplain

Vadskær

Hi all,

After a hiatus (been working on a lot of IG tanks) I'm back again, but I'll wait with an update for my own thread until I have some more models. So instead I decided just to post my newest work - Lemartes of the Blood Angels.

The model was a blast to paint, and Juan Diaz went nuts with purity seals - 16 total! ;) I more or less went with the official colour scheme, but did minor alterations. The head and skull shoulder plate is painted using the recipe from the 'Eavy Metal Masterclass for The Legion of the Damned Sergeant.

The base is from Scibor and I used it to correspond with the rest of my army. Lemartes comes with a bit of scenic base himself, and I had to place it above the flat base.

Enjoy! :P

/vadskær

gallery_37571_3423_8484.jpg

gallery_37571_3423_147897.jpg

gallery_37571_3423_98659.jpg

gallery_37571_3423_50721.jpg

gallery_37571_3423_118993.jpg

gallery_37571_3423_109193.jpg

Man, I love this model sooooo much more than Lemartes' last incarnation. It really has character to it.

And you sir, have done it justice. I don't see the pure white bone very often, and you seem to know your way around a black wash, which helped pull it off very well :devil: . The black highlight's are a bit too crisp/extreme for my taste, but they're not poorly done by any means. Fine details like scripture and litanies, jewels, and gold were obviously done with care, and it shows.

A gold star for you, sir.

Man, I love this model sooooo much more than Lemartes' last incarnation. It really has character to it.

And you sir, have done it justice. I don't see the pure white bone very often, and you seem to know your way around a black wash, which helped pull it off very well :D . The black highlight's are a bit too crisp/extreme for my taste, but they're not poorly done by any means. Fine details like scripture and litanies, jewels, and gold were obviously done with care, and it shows.

A gold star for you, sir.

Hey Firepower

Yes, I totally agree - the old Lemartes was atrocious compared to the new sculpt! The helmet and shoulder was not washed as much as blended up from a very dark base. I will agree that the highlights on the black armour seem very crisp and light. There is two reasons for this: first, there is a strong light source on the pictures which exaggerates (spelling?) them a bit compared to natural lighting. Second, the black armour is actually a 1:1 mix of Chaos Black and Regal Blue. This, compared with the colours used for highlights gives it a cool, sharp tone which I wouldn't have reached if I had just worked from pure black.

/vadskær

Thanks all for the kind comments - they are much appreciated :D

@Stuart: Regarding the colours used for the bone and scrolls here goes the complete recipe:

Skull-helmet and skull-shoulderpad:

1. Basecoat two thinned layers of Khemri Brown

2. Shade with two washes: first a 1:1 mix of Scorched Brown and Chaos black, second, Leviathan Purple.

3. Layer with a 1:1 mix of Khemri Brown and Bleached Bone

4. Multiple layers of very, very thin Bleached Bone to blend the colour up nice and slowly

5. Highlight with 1:1 mix of Bleached Bone and Skull White

6. Final highlight of pure Skull White

The scroll-work goes like this:

1. Basecoat with Khemri Brown

2. Layer three thinned layers of Bleached Bone until it covers nicely

3. Shade deepest recesses with Devlan Mud and the center of the crolls with Gryphonne Sepia

4. Paint the text with a thinned 1:1 mix of Scorched Brown and Chaos Black

5. Highlight the edges with a 1:1 mix of Bleached Bone and Skull White

Voila :angry:

/vadskær

• 2 weeks later...
Great job man! I too agree that the current scuplt is a thousand times better than its previous incarnation and you have done an excellent job. The blue/purple and the purity seals is by far my favorite detail. They really pop! Again excellent work.

Archived