What Happens to Special Rules when HQs die?

jbarket

Hey B&C,

Here's my question. I take Pedro Kantor as my HQ and he makes Sternguard scoring units as part of his replacement for Combat Tactics (as well as gives my marines stubborn). When he dies, do I revert back to normal Combat Tactics and lose both of those?

It was my assumption that, once I've bought him, those are the rules for the rest of the game, but I've had a couple of people imply that if he dies, I'd lose those.

I could use clarification here.

Changes to how your army list works persist even when a model that brings about such changes is later removed, except when the rules specifically state that it only works if the model is on the table. For example, using a Space Marine Captain on Bike lets you use Bikes as Troops Choices. If the Captain is killed, the Bikes will still be treated as Troops choices for that game, and not be changed back to Fast Attack choices. If the Captain is removed, you do not have to remove the Command Squad as well. I.e. if the rule is worded like "If your army includes this model", then that changes how your army list you construct works. You may have new options or treat existing choices as a different type. The list remains that list even if it suffers casualties during the game.

Hey B&C,

Here's my question. I take Pedro Kantor as my HQ and he makes Sternguard scoring units as part of his replacement for Combat Tactics (as well as gives my marines stubborn). When he dies, do I revert back to normal Combat Tactics and lose both of those?

It was my assumption that, once I've bought him, those are the rules for the rest of the game, but I've had a couple of people imply that if he dies, I'd lose those.

I could use clarification here.

You do not.

Your army now includes a disabled, potentially dead, Pedro Kantor- but hes still a part of your army roster. You paid points for him.

Thats all that matters.

Now, his inspirational aura on the other hand is very gone, and leaves immediately upon his death- because it requires him to be present on the table in order to work.

Similar rules- Belial in the DAs book makes Deathwing Terminator squads troops choices, and gives access to extra wargear for them. Does their player suddenly have an illegal list because he died? No, of course not.

No, you do not lose chapter tactics if Pedro dies. Those things are exchanged at the list making level of you army. It says "if you inlcude Pedro" not while he is alive. Lysander allows the fortification of one piece of ruins the same way a techmarine does(+1 to cover save). That ruins doesn't suddenly lose it's fortification just because Lysander is dead. Conversely Cato Sicarius has Rites of Battle(the same rules that BT commanders have) and it specifically says, "if he is on the table" so if he's dead they can't use his Ld anymore. However, he can also give another unit a USR. If he's dead they don't suddenly lose the USR.

Edit: You guys beat me to it!

Archived