When do you choose?

Hiro_Protagonist

This is sort of a multi part query regarding special weapons and their use in close combat.

1. Must models use the +1 attack for an additional weapon?

2. Must models use a special weapon if they are equiped with it?

3. When must a model select what weapon they are using?

Obviously people will have their own opinions with regards to these issues (I have mine too but I don't want to colour yours) but what I'm really looking for (if it exists) is an actual written rule stating what is to be done.

1) You always gain the bonus- its simply for being equiped with them- pg. 37. Exceptions to this are if you have more than 1 SCCW, as detailed on pg 42.

2) Yes. Pg 42, right hand column, paragraphs six and seven.

3) At the initiative they would use it, as per pg. 42, right column, paragraph 9. Simply speak up and say 'at I5 Im using my frostblade for three attacks' or 'Ill take my powerfist attacks since its I1.'

This can give a small advantage to those models who are equiped with multiple iniative value weapons. However I think its more than balanced out by the lack of a +1 A *as they will surely be different weapons* and often times the higher iniative will be greater than that of their fellows, or atleast equal to it.

Heck, before you could flat out choose not to attack.

And dont you think thats a bit odd?

Marine- 'Hi, Im from emperors overzealous smiters +3, and today Id like to ask you... would you like to try a breath mint?'

Ork- 'WAAAAAGGHH!!!'

Marine- 'Well Ill let you consider that for a moment, is that an uge choppa in your hand?'

Ork- 'WAAAAAGGHH!!!'

Not only that, but my DW have a constant problem...

Sarge - "For the Emprah! Strike men"

Power Fist - "ummmmmmmmpfffffff"

Sarge - "What are you doing marine? HIT!"

PF - "Immmmmm soooooo sloooooooow, I'll gettttt theeeeeeere someeeeeeee daaaaaaay"

Sarge - "Use your free hand! Club the foe with your Storm Bolter"

PF - "Paaaaaaage 42 saysssssss I caaaaaaant"

And sadly, Mr. PF never got to hit :lol:

Note: sorry, its friday and I really need my weekend!

If you're armed with multiple special weapons (like Calgar and his Gauntlets and power sword), I think you have to declare which he's using when attacks are delineated.

If Calgar is attached to a squad of three Terminators, and fighting two separate units of four Guardsmen (one with a power weapon, one without), each unit involved has to determine which unit they're attacking before anyone rolls any dice.

Calgar can either choose to attack wih his sword at I4, or with his Gauntlets at I1. If he's engaged with both IG squads, it becomes very important when he attacks, and with what. He can declare his attacks with his sword, attack before the IG squads, and using Titanic Mght, likely wipe out the power weapon squad before they can harm him, or his Terminators. Or, he can go last, get one extra attack from dual powerfists, but risk the power weapon in the IG squad taking down his Terminators before THEY can swing.

You pick a weapon, declare targets for your attacks, and THEN start rolling downward through initiative values.

Archived