DIY Swapping Project WIP Thread

Looking good BOBMAKENZIE. Is that a termie's storm bolter I see?

Cambrius

I wouldnt be surprise :P I just found it on my desk and decided I would use it. I wanted to focus on painting on this model over Converting because I know have very good conversion skills but my paints still alittle rocky.

@homerjwho: I'm really anxious to see what you've come up with for the Priory of Dorn.

@recon0321: I should be getting started on paint for The Knights of Tartosa soon. I was hoping to get started today, but I wasn't feeling very well. I'm aiming for Monday to get started with paint. I'll get some WIP images up when I do.

Heru Talon, you will be pleased to know that I've made great progress on your model thanks to a Dark Angels Veterans upgrade kit (my favorite plastic kit to date).

I've also taken the liberty to make a short fluffy piece for your model, which I'll post whenever the pictures get up as well. Note that it is currently only plastic, and will be painted soon enough.

EDIT: Also, I wanted to ask, since your company color is indicated on knees, what's the Second Company (Regulators) color?

Gold.

I have your model cleaned (I hate moldlines!!!!!!!!) and assembled. I'll try to take pictures tommorrow, if I can catch the sunlight.

Right-o, gold it is (or would yellow do, like on the older Second Company Ultramarines?).

Also, I can't wait to see my model.

I guess you want to mold lines off of yours as well. Well, I'll try.

Gold.

I have your model cleaned (I hate moldlines!!!!!!!!) and assembled. I'll try to take pictures tommorrow, if I can catch the sunlight.

Right-o, gold it is (or would yellow do, like on the older Second Company Ultramarines?).

I think the fact that they are already half yellow would probably make it look wrong.

Ok here he is, the currently unnamed Marine from TheNormish's Doom Guard Chapter. He isn't all that special unfortunately*. I went with twin bolt pistols as I want to be able to show off the colour scheme once he's painted, without the bulky bolter covering it up. I gave him a helmet with an antenna to represent an enhanced comm-system for fighting in an urban environment (which would likely have allot of comm interference from numerous sources). I also gave him an auspex (also useful for urban warfare) and an old knife off of the old SM biker frame (as it looked particularly vicious for the inevitable close combat he'd likely be involved in when stalking through ruined buildings).

*= I don't have the GSing skills, endless bits boxes or super deep pockets some other members seem to have. :lol:

gallery_20677_5420_12628.jpg

gallery_20677_5420_58923.jpg

gallery_20677_5420_101776.jpg

gallery_20677_5420_116490.jpg

gallery_20677_5420_128923.jpg

He's only tacked to the base so I can urbanise it later.

I finally got the weather to cooperate & have begun painting recon0321's Knights of Tartosa miniature. I've named him Captain Alastair Kade.

Captain Alastair Kade after primer:

gallery_26418_3686_1457.jpggallery_26418_3686_44197.jpg

gallery_26418_3686_50750.jpg gallery_26418_3686_3714.jpg

Captain Alastair Kade after base coat:

gallery_26418_3686_5404.jpg gallery_26418_3686_40691.jpg

gallery_26418_3686_11999.jpg gallery_26418_3686_17111.jpg

This is all the progress I have for today. I'll post some more updates once I've got them. What are your thoughts so far? Keep in mind, this is only the base coat right now, the majority of his armor is going to be done in a metallic steel. I'm going to paint the eagle heads on the backpack gold and the iron halo on the shield and backpack gold also.

I've made some more progress on Captain Alastair Kade from recon0321's Knights of Tartosa. I've got all the metallic paints done. Really all that's left is to add some highlights, do some various washes, come up with something for the blade of his power weapon and give him a base. For his base I have no idea what do to for him so I'd be very open to suggestions, just keep in mind my basing skills are minimal. Well, here he is - I've been working on him since 07:30 this morning (16:32 right now) what do you all think so far?

Captain Alastair Kade after metallic paints:

gallery_26418_3686_70365.jpg gallery_26418_3686_18577.jpg

gallery_26418_3686_76679.jpg gallery_26418_3686_37493.jpg

@recon0321: Thanks, I'm really glad you like how he's coming along. The pictures I posted are pretty much all there was to painting him so far.

1. Spray white primer on entire model

2. Any areas that will be black or receive metallic paint are painted with a thinned down Testors Model Master Acryl Flat Black

3. Applied base coat colors

• Purity Seals = Blood Red
  • Templar Crosses = Red Gore
  • Skulls = Bleached Bone
  • Parchment = Bleached Bone
  • Eyes = Blood Red
  • Pistol & Pouches = Testors Model Master Acryl Leather
  • Grenades = Testors Model Master Acryl Olive Drab
  • Steel Armor = Testors Gloss Enamel Steel
  • Gold Details = Testors Gloss Enamel Gold
  • Shoulder Wreath = Scorpion Green
  • Robe = Charadon Granite

(These steps haven't been completed yet)

4. Detail the power weapon with Silver Chrome & then a gradient of thinned Scab Red -> Red Gore w/Blood Red highlights later to be washed w/Baal Red (Haven't tried this yet so I'm not sure how it's going to turn out. I'm going to test it on a piece of sprue first.)

5. Apply Highlights

• Red Gore highlighted w/Blood Red
  • Steel highlighted w/Testors Gloss Enamel Silver Chrome
  • Gold Highlighted highlighted w/Testors Gloss Enamel Silver Chrome
  • Testors Model Master Acryl Flat Black highlighted w/Charadon Granite
  • Bleached Bone highlighted w/Testors Model Master Acryl Flat Gull Gray
  • Chardon Granite highlighted w/Testors Model Master Acryl Flat Gull Gray
  • Leather Highlighted w/Bleached Bone

6. Apply washes

• Steel washed w/Badab Black
  • Reds washed w/Baal Red
  • Gold, Leather & Bleached Bone washed w/Ogryn Flesh
  • Greens washed w/Thraka Green
  • Flat Black washed w/Badab Black to blend the highlights
  • Chardon Granite washed w/Badab Black to blend the highlights

7. Base the model

So far what I've posted doesn't have any highlights or washes applied (I've only completed through step #3). I'll most likely get him finished on Saturday. I'll post WIP pictures for steps 4, 5, 6 & 7 as I complete each step. I'm still not sure what to do for the base. How do you normally base yours? I usually use a modeling sand and paint it for the base (my bases are pretty bland - I just use the sand to give it some texture.)

Just to let you all know that I'm not actually dead or have forgotten this or something. I currently have a partially painted Wraith sitting on my modelling board but work has been pac maning my free time. Hopefully get something done this week.

'hopes for pictures'

My DIY actually has another hobbyist making it! Even if it was for a challenge! Yeeeeessss! B)

Archived