Dornian Heresy World Eater squad and characters

Aurelius Rex

You may have noticed the Dornian Heresy project and downloadable pdf in the banner, well, I have recently been creating a squad of World Eaters (loyalists, remember) and a couple of characters to represent them on the battlefield. In fact, doing this has caused me to over-run on the self-imposed deadline for getting the Dornian Heresy Iron Hand IA out on time, and so as penance I have decided to put up some (very early) wip shots of the miniatures as they currently stand.

Just about everything still needs a big tidy up, and I have only really blocked out the blue basecoat on the backpacks, pads and weapons.

They are based upon the really good World Eaters painter image by Sigismund Himself (thanks again, mate!) which appeared in part 1 of the Legio Imprint: Dornian Heresy PDF:

med_gallery_21629_1792_36823.png

Firstly, this group is slightly more advanced, as they have rusted metal bases:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v732/AureliusRex/Dornian%20Heresy/WEgroup1.jpg

Next, the rest of the squad, along with the lieutenant (cloak and thunder hammer / relic weapon) and librarian (with force weapon and psychic hood in early stages of conversion):

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v732/AureliusRex/Dornian%20Heresy/WEgroup2.jpg

A better look at the legion symbol:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v732/AureliusRex/Dornian%20Heresy/WElegionsymbol.jpg

And a look at the 6th squad designator:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v732/AureliusRex/Dornian%20Heresy/WEsquadsymbols.jpg

They are partly intended to be stand-ins for the goodies in Alt-Heresy Space Hulk, facing off against the Nurgly Renfield-alike mutants which guard their slumbering Blood Angel masters... everything is levelled down in power, so PA rather than TDA, a flamer instead of a heavy flamer, bolter rather than storm bolter, heavy bolter rather than assault cannon, marine with meltabombs rather than a chainfist, nurgley mutants rather than genestealers. The broodlord can be a 'Lost' BA released from the catacombs by the WE boarding, or even a Nurgley Blood Angel (terminator?) who has awoken early to destroy the Imperial fools!

Sergeant Yorah of the World Eaters brought his chain-axe around in a tight arc and decapitated the skittering mutant thing in mid-leap. They were getting bogged down, and every second brought this hulk of a plague ship closer to the planet. He ordered Brother Kellion to clear the corridor with his heavy bolter and checked the auspex for the best route to the life-support systems. They were so few – a single squad against a whole enemy ship – that their only chance was to destroy the Blood Angels before they could awaken.

In the seconds it had taken Yorah to pinpoint the correct path, his auspex had filled with encroaching blips. Despite the danger, he urged his brethren on into the fray. They were the sons of Angron, unmatched in martial discipline. They would prevail against this Chaos rabble.

It is appropriate that the BA should be involved in the Alt-Space Hulk, even if it is on the other side... I can even still use the Space Hulk tiles as they have a BA hint to them. :D

There is a long way to go with these guys - especially considering how slowly I paint - but I have been enjoying the exercise.

OK, now back to finishing off the Iron Hand IA! :lol:

Aurelius.

These guys look great! I really like 6th squad.

Though, I don't understand what you mean by bolters instead of heavy bolters etc. Is that for modeling purposes or something? Leveled down in power for what reason?

What I mean is that in the game of Space Hulk the Astartes are in Terminator armour. Here I am using Astartes in Power armour, so everything is similarly scaled down a step for both sides. It uses the same Space Hulk rules, with the World Eater's bolters counting as Storm Bolters, the flamer marine counting as the heavy flamer termie, the heavy bolter marine counting as the Space Hulk Assault cannon termie etc.

To make up for the lowered power level, they would be facing things not quite as tough as genestealers in the Nurgly mutants guarding the slumbering vampiric Blood Angels... although goodness knows how I would model them! :D Intelligent Plague zombies of the 'fast' variety shown in 28 Days later / Zombieland / Dawn of the Dead (remake)

If you have played Space Hulk, this would make more sense, I suppose. :lol:

Very nice. I am fascinated by the Dornian Heresy pdf. I am trying to make a squad of Dornian Ultra successors and hopefully mine will have as much character as the awesome WE minis you have painted. (And the Space Hulk variant is a very cool twist.)

Lovely work as usual AR :lol:

As Pig of Sparta said, it's a lovely clean white and just like your Scions your freehand is great (for which I hate you :P )

• 1 month later...

Archived