Bolters with Jump Packs

thade

Before I launch into my "How would you use this unit/How dumb is this unit" series, I just want to state that this is not an easy thing to do list-wise. There are only three ways to get flying bolters into the list sofar as I can tell (barring the Sanguinary Guard, which I can't use for fluff-reasons):

- Techmarines (which in the BA codex do not have the IC rule)

- Captain (no upgrades for the boltgun, ie no Hellfire rounds like you could take in the vanilla dex)

- Command Squad (which is really part of the second way): five flying guys with boltguns.

This is, as you prob know, not cheap point-for-point. It is, however, very fluffy for my army, so I'm going to make them.

Advantages: Highly mobile support-fire: flying rapid fire.

Disadvantages: who would not focus fire this unit? And at only five models strong, it would be short-lived. Bye bye, Mass'o'Points.

So I'm considering giving them all storm bolters. NOW I have terminator-class fire power on a far more mobile platform: 24" instead of 12" range with the same dice contribution to my Shooting phase as a rapid-fire group. Better still...Storm Bolters are assault weapons, so I can make these guys poor man's Grey Knights, giving one or two of them power weapons or some such. They're vets, so they have 2 base attacks (but lose the offhand attack...and don't have True Grit, of course)

Advantages: Highly mobile support fire with considerable range and moderate assault strength.

Disadvantages: who would not focus fire this unit? At least I can keep them out at range (maybe).

Odds are high I'm going to build this unit, and I have limited ideas on how to use them; what are people's thoughts? Has anyone ever done something like this before? What was your experience like?

You forgot Death Company. Bolters, relentless and jump packs!

Personally, I looked into using bolters with jump packs back in 4th edition when both DC and Veteran assault squads had the option. I wasn't really impressed with the idea since jump packs aren't relentless.

The storm bolter unit has the problem of being small. I'd suggest if you do it give them lightning claws and power fists (well some of them) for close combat punch.

Again, Death Company I cannot use for fluff-reasons.

This actually comes back to the reason I didn't build a command squad before...I could not kit them out sufficiently to my liking. There are only five of them, and one of them an apothecary who may not be able to be upgraded (codex not in hand, I can't recall)...so four marines with storm bolters + the captain whom I think can take a storm bolter is...not that much fire power. It could be "just enough" in some cases, though how often, who's to say?

As to giving them a couple of power fists, that's definitely on the to-do list.

I left as implicit (read as: stated in my head and not in the thread) that the real issue I've always had with command squads is the complete lack of Ablative wounds; I'm honestly not confident that jump packs + 24" range + a dedicated apothecary is enough to make up for that.

I am willing to try though.

I think your initial impression right -- its not a lot of firepower. It works for Terminators because they fill out that fifth guy with an assault cannon or Cyclone launcher. For comparison's sake, I will tell you about a friend of mine who plays Sisters. He fielded a Dominion Squad once that was filled with Stormbolters. They were decent against a Nid Gaunt horde, but against my Marines they were totally underwhelming. I don't think he's fielded them again since then. . .

A jump packed Honor Guard with plasma guns, on the other hand, that's something different thanks to the higher S and lower AP.

Even if you could do it, I just don't think there is a lot here. As mentioned the firepower is low. With bolters if you're in rapid fire range, you're also in charge range next turn. You can't take anything down with bolters and you can't fight effectively in CC with them either. I think it's generally a dead meat unit.

Archived