CSM player in need of HAAAALP!

MattCrawford

Note: Sorry for the huge amount of parenthetical side notations. Stupid, I know, but bear with them! ;)

In my year or so into playing Warhammer 40.000, I've primarily concerned myself with improving the quality of my painting, since the aesthetic side of the hobby holds (read: held) a lot more importance to me until rather recently. I finally conceded to play a game, and now I'm hooked.

My problem is, while I have a good knowledge of the rules, I'm fairly newbish at tactics and army lists.

E.G. I was playing with the store's army, lacking a case for my own World Eaters, and was facing Tyranids with a force of Black Legion CSM. While I knew enough to use the Slaanesh DP's Lash of Submission to group together Genestealers and use my Vindicator to clear them all out in one fell swoop, but was creamed when he brought forth waves of Gaunts and basically swamped my troops.

So I need a little advice, basically in two categories:

1) I need to generate a decent, flexible army list that will allow me to get a better grip on command. The models I have available are:

- ~30 or so Iron Warriors vanilla CSM with all the weapons options magnetized for whatever loadout I might need (smart enough to think ahead!)

- 2 Terminator Lords - one is an IW lord with Mark of Tzeentch (Force Weapon, Storm Bolter, Familiar), the other a converted lord of Khorne (has a Bloodletter sword and Chaos Warriors shield... I was thinking counting him as twin LCs)

- 1 Daemon Prince, I'm going to rebuild him with wings and probably use him with Mark of Khorne

- ~12 Berzerkers, which I was going to increase to replace the IWs (I've been gradually shifting towards WE, and was going to use the IWs as mercs in larger battles when I needed some more shooty troops)

- 1 Defiler

- 1 Predator Annihilator

- 4 CSM Terminators (I bought them assembled with LCs, one w/ a Chainfist, so I was thinking of fielding them like that)

- 5 Obliterators (my first conversion project, I bought Devestator weapons and GS'd them onto a group of Terminators)

- possibly 1 CSM Land Raider (buying it off a friend for 10$)

- Will be expanding to include Rhinos for the troops, so that's not an issue

2) Given that my direction is going to be leaning towards World Eaters, with potentiality for Iron Warriors support in larger games (I have an old toy tank that happens to be the right size for a Baneblade conversion... hoo hoo), I'd need some pointers on how to use the troops mentioned above to their full potential. Is Khorne really as simple as running up and hitting things really hard, or is there more to it than that?

Thanks for the long and possibly vague plea for help, B&C!

Well, playing a CC army you'll need some way to de-mech your opponent, so I'd look into that, preferably 3-5 of that, though your oblits(run either as 2x2 or 2 and 3) and maybe pred could probably handle that easily. You'll want at least a couple meltas(most likely your IWs can field a support squad for that) for AV14 as well.

Here's a suggestion of a list from me, plenty of ranged firepower, a little melta, plenty of assaulty power.

Daemon Prince, MoK, Wings - 140

8 Berzerkers in a Rhino, Champ with Fist - 243

8 Berzerkers in a Rhino, Champ with Fist - 243

10x CSM in a Rhino, IoK, 2x Melta, Champ with Fist and Combi-Melta - 285

Predator Annihilator, Lascannon Sponsons - 165

3x Obliterator - 225

2x Obliterator - 175

1451, 49 pts can be used to throw in some EA, to swap MoK to Warptime on the Prince, or another two 'Zerkers or whatever.

Well Khorne isnt as simple as that... itll get you killed, alot, regularly. Berzerkers just arent cheap enough to throw down a horde. Though the Rhinos you mentioned will help.

The Terminators, since you seem to plan on using them as an assault force Id reccommend giving them the Mark of Tzeentch- the 4++ helps out alot.

At the moment, because of your force loadout Id reccommend using Iron Warriors as your primary, with the Khornates as backup- including using your Tzeentch aspected lord. Hed probly go well in the Landraider with the other Termies, but thats kind of a no brainer. You might also reserve them and use an Icon of Chaos Undecided to bring them in behind your rhino-wall of IWs later in the game.

Perhaps something like this for 1500:

Sorceror Lord- TDA, MoT, Bolt of Change- 170pts.

4 Chaos TDA- 3xTwin LCs, Chainfist and C-M, IoT- 200pts.

10 C:SMs- 2x Meltagun, IoCG, Rhino w/ C-M- 225pts.

10 C:SMs- 2x Plasmagun, IoCG, Rhino w/ C-M- 235pts.

10 C:SMs- 2x Plasmagun, IoCG, Rhino w/ C-M- 235pts.

10 Khorne Berzerkers- Champion, Powerfist, Rhino- 285pts.

Defiler- Havoc Launcher- 150pts.

1500pts.

Gives you 4 scoring units a good mix of midrange firepower and assault, plenty of antitank weapons, and its all pretty mobile.

Archived