Gets Hot! and Feel No Pain

Ok, I was playing tonight and had another player tell me that Feel No Pain does not apply to Gets Hot! because it suffers a hit from the plasma gun which is AP2 and AP2 wounds ignore Feel No Pain. Yet, every forum guide or army theory I've ever seen on the internet in 5th Ed says plasma in command squads is the way to go because Feel No Pain makes Gets Hot! a problem only like 3% of the time.

So, I know the guy is likely wrong, but I don't know why he's wrong. Rereading it, I guess it's because the model "suffers a wound" and then specifically says "normal saves apply." I.e., the model gets a normal wound with no stats applied to it.

Is this right? What do I tell that guy?

Some people I play with try to pull that one as well. But the rules clearly state, that it is just a wound. If there was something like "suffers a wound with the weapons strength" it would be different but as pingo already said, this is not the case.

More fuel to the fire: the Gets Hot! rule says nothing about the wound you're taking having an AP value; it is just a wound. You get an armor save, and thus you get a FnP save.

It gets hot used to be a hit from the weapon , but iI don't remember what edition that was. Not the case now.

Ah! I should have known. I joined during 5th ed. so whenever a rule sounds completely out of left field to me...it's because it's from a previous edition. :)

It wasnt such during 4rth... didnt exist during 3rd.... and I dont remember that during 2nd edition.

Perhaps then this misinterpretation of the rule goes back a very long way then?

I remember once someone tried to tell me that when a plasma gun Gets Hot! it drops the small blast template - centered on the firing marine - with Str 7 AP2 wounds all around. I didn't let that fly. ;)

Perhaps then this misinterpretation of the rule goes back a very long way then?

Early 1st edition didn't have anything like a gets hot rule, some plasma could only be fired every other round. Late 1st and 2nd edition used the rapid fire dice, which were basically a die refaced so that 1 = jam, 2-3=1 hit, 4-5=2 hits, 6 = 3 hits. You could jam but not explode.

I remember once someone tried to tell me that when a plasma gun Gets Hot! it drops the small blast template - centered on the firing marine - with Str 7 AP2 wounds all around. I didn't let that fly. :)

Assault cannons used to blow up on triple 1s or a triple jam, I think a heavy plasma gun could blow up rapid-firing in some rule set, and cyclone missile launchers used to have a chance to misfire (which could involve firing a 6" krak missile template centered on the guy or randomly). Nothing for marines in current rules blows itself up though.

Assault cannons used to blow up on triple 1s or a triple jam, I think a heavy plasma gun could blow up rapid-firing in some rule set, and cyclone missile launchers used to have a chance to misfire (which could involve firing a 6" krak missile template centered on the guy or randomly). Nothing for marines in current rules blows itself up though.

I hate to out myself here, but my vindicator has hit itself with it's blast template before...

I hate to out myself here, but my vindicator has hit itself with it's blast template before...

LOL, that's right, I forgot you can do that now. In older rules you couldn't scatter by more than half the distance you fired, so you couldn't blow yourself up unless you were so close the template was pretty much touching the gun.

Archived