Opinion on 2 colour schemes

XionXxen

Hi all,

I've been out of 40k for about 10 years and these are my first painted models since then. Back then I never really got into painting so please go easy on the quality. The models themselves are a couple of old models I had lying around so their build quality isn't great.

http://images.dakkadakka.com/gallery/2010/10/8/145866_sm-.jpghttp://images.dakkadakka.com/gallery/2010/10/8/145867_sm-.jpg

I'm after opinions on which scheme works best, I know they are similar but the first is liche purple with a blackish wash, the second is black with a liche purple dry brush. Under bright light I prefer the look of the second, but seeing as most of the time they won't be lit up so much, I think I prefer the first.

Also, any advice on how to improve their look? I might lighten the yellow slightly and I think I prefer green eyes to red.

Thanks in advance

I think that the lighter purple and the green eyes are better you might want to add a darker base color for the eyes and a small highlight of white or bright green on the eyes. What are you going to be doing for the bases?

Thanks. So for the eyes, a darker green, then a spot of lighter at the edges?

For the models I'll be going on to paint I've added sand/grit and will probably undercoat black, then drybrush with a couple of browns and finally add a dark brown wash perhaps. I've got some further old models I'll use for testing, I want to try spray undercoating them, as well as a proper base.

Someone suggested spray undercoating in purple, does anyone have any ideas where I could get a good purpler spray?

Thanks again

• 4 weeks later...

I agree with BlackBabyJesus, if you prime with a black then use the spraygun it gives you a nice overall colour.

I done a similar scheme where I basecoated with Chaos Black, then used the spraygun to do a layer of Hormagaunt purple. Then another layer of liche purple, with a wash of black in the recesses. If I can get a decent picture I will post it and you can see how it came out.

Archived