Dark Angels

LardO'Blood

I applaud your attempt, but i don't think that space marines would have smiley faces on their ancient relics of war (Angry Marines excluded). Also the paint jobs can use a little work. Thin down your paints, give them a wash, and practice your free hand skills. Maybe buy a real land raider (and don't label things like "big gun", it's kinda pointing out the obvious)

I applaud your attempt, but i don't think that space marines would have smiley faces on their ancient relics of war (Angry Marines excluded). Also the paint jobs can use a little work. Thin down your paints, give them a wash, and practice your free hand skills. Maybe buy a real land raider (and don't label things like "big gun", it's kinda pointing out the obvious)

I respectfully disagree, if you want to have some fun and add some humor to your dark angels, go ahead, it's your army. That scratch built LR is a lot better then any i would be able to build if i tried. The tactical marines aren't half bad either, you should add some red for the eye lenses though.

I would definite agree that it is a great improvement. I am glad that you did not get discouraged by others less than constructive comments. Might I suggest a set of templates that I have used to make a few scratch models. If you google rhino 40k template you will find a good website that includes rhinos, landspeeders, land raiders etc. I first made the rhino and it came out pretty good, then I tried the landspeeder and figured out how to make the process work rather quickly and now have even made a titan all out of card stock. Card stock is perfect for rhinos, landspeeders and land raiders but since I also am well versed in woodworking I have switched to doing everything in wood except the landspeeders.

Though I'm not a fan of the free-hand on the land raider I do admire your resolve in actually doing a scratchbuild.

On a side note I was under the impression you weren't allowed to share templates of GW IP on the forum so the link may get modded soon.

Your paints are a little on the thick side for my taste but everything takes practice and skills fade without use and they are better than when I re-started after a time out so keep at it!

The 'land raider' is shocking. Whats next, paper tokens to represent devastators?

at least its not some random box,

it may not be pretty, but it is a million times better than using something completely un-40k

i do agree that the smiley face is not a good idea

If someone placed that Land Raider on the board when I was about to play them, I would pack up my stuff and respectfully leave without saying a single word. I have a feeling that it is made of cardboard from a Lunchables box and masking tape.

That scratch built LR is a lot better then any i would be able to build if i tried.

"I respectfully disagree."

it may not be pretty, but it is a million times better than using something completely un-40k

Honestly, I applaud his courage to build, paint, and take photographs of that... thing. I would rather face off against a proxy. IE. Dr. Pepper bottle. (Turning Signals on a Land Raider reference...? Dr. Carnifex...? I digress.)

Other than your "Land Raider," the paint on your models is a little on the thick side. They lack depth, as well. The Citadel washes would help out a lot in fixing that on the metals, flesh, and red. Use Devlun Mud and Badaab Black on the metals, Ogryn Flesh on the skin, and Devlun Mud on the reds. It will do wonders.

If someone placed that Land Raider on the board when I was about to play them, I would pack up my stuff and respectfully leave without saying a single word. I have a feeling that it is made of cardboard from a Lunchables box and masking tape.

^

Out of curiosity,why?? It's a shame we all can't take this GAME of ours less seriously... Our beloved hobby is quite expensive, and not all of us have the means to buy all the plastic that GW pushes.

That scratch built LR is a lot better then any i would be able to build if i tried.

"I respectfully disagree."

Honestly, I applaud his courage to build, paint, and take photographs of that... thing. I would rather face off against a proxy. IE. Dr. Pepper bottle. (Turning Signals on a Land Raider reference...? Dr. Carnifex...? I digress.)

^

Again, really? It's not the best scratch build i've seen, but it's passable. And so much better than a Dr. Pep bottle. Perfect build or not, he put the effort in to get close.

Other than your "Land Raider," the paint on your models is a little on the thick side. They lack depth, as well. The Citadel washes would help out a lot in fixing that on the metals, flesh, and red. Use Devlun Mud and Badaab Black on the metals, Ogryn Flesh on the skin, and Devlun Mud on the reds. It will do wonders.

^

Agreed. The washes make even average painters look better.

Out of curiosity,why?? It's a shame we all can't take this GAME of ours less seriously... Our beloved hobby is quite expensive, and not all of us have the means to buy all the plastic that GW pushes.
I don't care what excuse there is, I just refuse to play against something like that. I'm all for comedy, but that is just plain tacky. If you can't afford to buy one, dig through a few dozen couches and save up enough for one; or actually put in the hours upon hours it takes to build a scratch-built anything. I imagine he spent less than two hours on it.

Again, really? It's not the best scratch build i've seen, but it's passable. And so much better than a Dr. Pep bottle. Perfect build or not, he put the effort in to get close.
The Dr. Pepper bottle is a reference to an old webcomic that was popular awhile back. Kudos to him for putting in so much "effort." Maybe my standards are just too high for society these days.

Remember we aren't here debating its viability in a gaming sense but as a finished model presented in the Hall of Honor.

Anyone want to start a topic in AMICUS on the pros and cons of gaming with scratchbuilds (or not) then go ahead... as that is the place to do it.

Cheers

I

Keep trying, and get better. It looks like you would make an awsome scratch built land raider if you bought plasticard, alot cheaper than a real one. Besides, wouldn't want your hard work and practice to go to waste.

I'm not petty enough to refuse to play a game against it. Unless you trash my army repeatedly with it... Then I'll arm my marines with matches and speeders with lighters.

Man i dont care what people think about you land raider, I think it is awesome.... I love the Big gun label on the side... lol, just incase you forgot...

Id be happy to play you landraider...

This game is about fun... and sometimes working with what you have.... Great work...

I think if you're going to put something up in hall of honour, then it should be finished, and you should expect C&C. I don't think that land raider is finished, in fact it is plain ugly; you mention it in the title to draw us all in, then we see it and it's just... ugh.

So, that's some criticism; any comments?

I don't want to just be negative, because that's not helpful. The shape is okay, but you need more detail on the thing, flat smooth surfaces and straight edges. Even if you want to make the main body from cereal box card, you could probably expose the shiny side to get a smooth surface, then spray it with citadel spray. I would probably seal it with varnish first to make sure it doesn't soak up all the paint... It would be better to make it from plasticard. You probably don't want to spend money on that though, so maybe you can find a source of some free stuff, or some cheap stuff. In north america, DIY stores sell plastic "for sale" signs that you could stick over the top of the card that you're already using, which would really make it look crisper. I also suggest that, depending on your age, you use a scalpel/boxcutter and a metal ruler to get the lines completely straight; there's a lot of bent lines visible, particularly where the hull joins the tracks (from the top view). If you print out templates that you make in some image program (MS Paint, Photoshop, whatever...) and stick those over the card, then that will be a lot easier. For armour plating you could just use two sheets of cereal box card stuck together to get to the right thickness, then cut the clean, straight lines that you need. Being made from card, it's unlikely to ever look as good as a plastic one (scratchbuilt or no), but if you're willing to spend some time on it, then it will look a lot better than how it does currently.

Keep trying, but remember that it's going to take some time to make something that looks good, and that you're only going to get better if you push yourself.

Archived