More Plastic Grey knights

Mr.Millar

One thing that I've always wanted is some Grey knights, however I didn't want to fork out on some expensive metal miniatures so I set about finding parts from bits websites that would be suitable. This turned out to be the wrong thing to do as I tallied up the cost per model and it came to around 8GBP each :D which is crap when you cab get 2 metal ones from GW for 10.50. I kind of gave up on the idea of GK's for a while until I saw the entire contents of the sanguinary guard set; Mind = Blown. The sheer amount of stuff on those sprues made the set great value, plus if I removed the BA iconography, the body's and chests would be nice and ornate, perfect for plastic GK's.

I got myself a box of sanguinary guard and a set of Force weapons from GW, raided my bits box and got to work. The results are as follows and although only one is painted and I'm still looking for 2 =][= Pads to finish the squad off, i am incredibly pleased with the results. Thank the emperor I saved all those heads from the command squad.

These guys worked out at GBP 5.40 each which is not bad considering I still have 5 sets of wings, jump packs, death masks, helmets, relic blades & bolters and a myriad of ornate shoulder pads left over. Hell yes B) .

One of the finished GK's:

(EDIT) = Eye lens needs to be highlighted properly.

http://i770.photobucket.com/albums/xx349/Mr_Millar/SDC11477.jpg

The WIP Justicar:

http://i770.photobucket.com/albums/xx349/Mr_Millar/SDC11484.jpg

The 3 WIP GK's:

http://i770.photobucket.com/albums/xx349/Mr_Millar/SDC11479.jpg

http://i770.photobucket.com/albums/xx349/Mr_Millar/SDC11485.jpg

http://i770.photobucket.com/albums/xx349/Mr_Millar/SDC11486.jpg

Mind = Blown

Those are amazing!!! :P

One thing - the Stormbolters look a little clunky for a Marine...

*shrug*

Arenis

i disagree. a storm bolter is a sotrm bolter. its size wouldn't really vary just because someone else is holding it. So while looking more proportional, it would just look stange.

Nice to see another person who has seen the epic flaw in cost and unoriginality of the metal GK models

I will watch this topic with intrest as I too am a fan trying plastic GK's

as you can see

gallery_33843_5271_14412.jpg

pray tell, where did you get all those lovley crusader helmets?

I managed save up the helmets from command squad boxes as I was using the parts to make some dark angels and death-wing honor guard and command squads. Originally I planned to do some green-stuff casts of them to cut down on bits costs, but i wasn't happy with the quality of them.

Totally awesome! The painted model is stunning. I think the molded musculature really gives it that 'elite' feel, and the Nemesis weapons and the storm bolters are great. As to the clunky-ness, all the wrist mounted weapons either look puny or clunky. Yours, I think, are a home run.

Really like these guys, great use of the sanguinary guard models, these guys can be used for so much!! As for the storm bolter thing I would of gone for just using the angelus pattern boltguns for it as they look quite similar dispite not having a double barrel.

Forgefather

Very clever and effective kit bash idea. My only problem with the SB's is that the barrels aren't drilled :) . I would've tried to lose all those blood drops too, but there cure are a lot of 'em so I can't blame you for skipping it. Doesn't ruin the aesthetic any, just reminds me that I'm looking at re-purposed BA.

Thanks for all of the positive reply's people, I appreciate it.

@Firepower: I don't actually have a hobby drill right now or the barrels would be drilled out :lol: and as for the iconography, the pendants and stuff on the shins will be replaced with =][= symbols, but that's going to be it. Besides, a lot of the old G.W. models (e.g. the old Sicarus) had BA style gems set into shoulder pads, so they don't seem out of place to me, which is a bonus (Sod removing all of those gems).

EDIT: Grammar failure.

I think they look great even the few blood drops that are still on them look good, not BA at all which is odd to say, my only suggestion would be to try to get the metal GK storm bolter arms as I think it would put them over the top.

Actually Mitch, funny story about those 'vibro glaives', you see I approached maxmini about recreating and resin casting some of my own work which included a homebrew force weapon (pic below).

I discussed initial pricing for the casts and cost per weapon with them and they suddenly stopped replying to my e-mails. About a month or so later, *Poof* vibro glaives.

My request may have been denied on the basis that these were already in the production / design phase but it is a little strange. Coincidences do happen after all.

The force weapon attached to a marine (Yes that is a war-hound head in the background):

http://i770.photobucket.com/albums/xx349/Mr_Millar/SDC11079.jpg

Mind = Blown

Those are amazing!!! :)

*shrug*

Arenis

i disagree. a storm bolter is a sotrm bolter. its size wouldn't really vary just because someone else is holding it. So while looking more proportional, it would just look stange.

As I said Before the Metal GK storm bolter is more a "Storm pea-launcher" than a Storm bolter. look at the size... it's 1/3 the size of the tank one! (for the same stats...)

Mind = Blown

Those are amazing!!! :woot:

*shrug*

Arenis

As I said Before the Metal GK storm bolter is more a "Storm pea-launcher" than a Storm bolter. look at the size... it's 1/3 the size of the tank one! (for the same stats...)

exactly, which in my opinion makes little to no sense.

they are the same, so why not look the same? (in general terms to size, shape ect)

Archived