Codex: Night Angels

Zynk Kaladin

I've been wanting to start my DIY chapter's codex for a while, but didn't know where to start. After surfing the web and stumbling upon NachoMon's epic art, I decided to borrow his idea for my front page. ALL CREDIT FOR THIS IDEA TO HIM. Still have a lot of learning and a lot more work to do.

Codex: Night Angels

http://oi55.tinypic.com/2n7kpjl.jpg

The Space Marine is holding Imperial Guard dogs tags retrieved from the dead and he's about to pop a cap in this traitor's head. Later, I'm going to add thunderhawks swooping overhead all Blue Angels style. I really wish I could draw better :)

And I have a bad habit of smudging the crap out of the picture. I wish I had more discipline when it comes to those things.

Here's the Night Angel's planet, Daethos. I think I posted this a while ago, but I want to consolidate everything in here. On a side note, I may have to move to Liber Astartes if I start getting deep into the fluff.

http://oi52.tinypic.com/8wlgjt.jpg

and our chapter's symbol

http://oi52.tinypic.com/vxdnk1.jpg

Hopefully I can get some entries done for some units this week. It's gonna be a busy one for me, unfortunately. Since I'm getting decent at drawing normal marines, I might do the tactical marine page. Any ideas for poses?

Good pencil drawing, and the chapter symbol looks very impressive. How are you going to represent it on your models though? Freehand? Looks like it could be a....pain to reproduce.

Thanks. I'm definitely not skilled enough to freehand that on my models, but I could try on my predator.

About free-hand chapter-symbol painting:

There is an alternative I do with my Aurora-symbol: Go to a copy shop and ask them to transfer your symbol in WH-miniature scale onto a sheet which is the same as you get from GW-->so you have the same symbol and you can use it like the transfer-sheets you get from GW. Wow hard to explain in a foreign language because I don´t know the technical terms for copy-shop-business, but I hope you can follow my explanation :Troops:

About free-hand chapter-symbol painting:

There is an alternative I do with my Aurora-symbol: Go to a copy shop and ask them to transfer your symbol in WH-miniature scale onto a sheet which is the same as you get from GW-->so you have the same symbol and you can use it like the transfer-sheets you get from GW. Wow hard to explain in a foreign language because I don´t know the technical terms for copy-shop-business, but I hope you can follow my explanation ;)

Wow, that's a great idea. Thanks!

looks good man I would say ink it and after its dry just clean up all the smudges and pencil lines.

I'm probably going to trace it on my tablet to clean it up a bit. The cool part about smudging is it inadvertently gives a nice dust and smoke effect.

Good pencil drawing, and the chapter symbol looks very impressive. How are you going to represent it on your models though? Freehand? Looks like it could be a....pain to reproduce.

Thanks. I'm definitely not skilled enough to freehand that on my models, but I could try on my predator.

you could use the Testors decal paper and print it out on an inkjet printer.

Nice solid symbol, I like it too. I recommend latex gloves if you have a problem smudging the pencil, it usually helps because there isn't much for the graphite to grab onto. Hands get sweaty and uncomfortable after a while, but it does help. The other thing you can do is draw in stages and use some of 3M's "Workable Fixative." It's basically clear coat that is designed so that you can draw over it, though you won't be able to erase anything under, once the fixative is on...so do the line clean up before the fixative.

As an aside on the copy/print shop, I manage a copy center- you might have a hard time getting them to print out onto transfer paper. Most copy centers run on laser printers and those often melt/burn/peel labels, stickers, and transfers not specifically made for laser printing, usually destroying the paper/transfer, and often causing damage to the printer. Even if it is made for laser, sometimes there are issues because there is a significant temperature difference between home office laser printers and industrial laser printer/copiers.

Some copy centers will risk it (especially when they have staff/managers who don't know about that issue), but if they know about that issue they usually won't. High speed copiers like those are usually leased rather than owned with an ongoing, expenses paid service agreement (at least in the USA), which means if the copier breaks, we call, it gets fixed in 24 hours, and we don't pay anything more than we already do for the lease. A lot of the damage that results from those kinds of paper not specifically made by the copier manufacturer is excluded from the service contract, and has to be paid for out of profit margin.

Some print shops also have a small-scale ink jet, and they should have no problem printing out with those (at some Staples you can ask to have it printed out on the Gel-Sprint label printed, but not all Staples have that printer, the in-store labels are a pilot program still)

• 3 weeks later...

Finally got some time off and added some coloring. Looks cartoonish at the moment, but hopefully when I add weathering and battle damage it'll turn out right.

One minor step closer to finishing Codex Night Angels!

http://oi55.tinypic.com/2ef0y0i.jpg

Lucky for me I don't have classes on Fridays (I'm trying a 4 day engineering schedule this semester which sucks on those 4 days, but I digress). I'll get some more work done today.

• 1 month later...

I added some more coloring.

http://oi54.tinypic.com/2bel3l.jpg

I also have a model of my chapter master coming soon. I'll take a pic of the WIP once I get done tinkering with the green stuff. I might also have some more concept drawings of various marines, characters, and scenes. Maybe a pic of my fortress monistary or my planet's capital city?

Comments, criticism, praise and ideas are always welcome.

EDIT: I just noticed my previous pictures and my signature picture are a little blocky now when before they were fine. Im using tinypic, which might cause this problem. Any good image hosting sites out there?

Archived