Back in the game!

lars_l

Finally back in the hobby! After ten years of absence I'm trying to get an army together... Here is my first tactical squad.

http://larslernestal.com/wh40k/IMG_4886.JPG

http://larslernestal.com/wh40k/IMG_4889.JPG

http://larslernestal.com/wh40k/IMG_4891.JPG

Question; why the gold shoulderplate trim? It's almost unnoticable if I'm honest but the rest of the models are very good :Troops: For the trim perhaps Dwarf Bronze or the silver you've used on the chest eagle.

Noticed that too when I saw how the pictures turned out. The gold looks better IRL. But I'll try out Dwarf Bronze and see how it turns out... thanks for the tip

Very nice, especially after a 10 year break. If you are not sure on a chapter and are not completely set on making your own may i suggest the Raptors? Their color scheme is near identical, just lose the gold trim. http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Raptors_%28Chapter%29 Check em out, they are pretty cool, i almost did an army of them a few years back. They are also featured in the new Imperial Armor book so there is even more back story for them.

Thanks for all the kind words!

Welcome back, and may I say that you haven't lost the touch.

How did you do the blue in the eye lenses, it's stunning!

Thank you!

The lenses where basecoated with Enchanted Blue, then I painted a 1:1 mix Enchanted Blue and Ice Blue to the front of the lenses, finally I added a dot of Ice Blue at the back of the lenses.

Very nice, especially after a 10 year break. If you are not sure on a chapter and are not completely set on making your own may i suggest the Raptors? Their color scheme is near identical, just lose the gold trim. http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Raptors_%28Chapter%29 Check em out, they are pretty cool, i almost did an army of them a few years back. They are also featured in the new Imperial Armor book so there is even more back story for them.

Thanks for the tip, but I'll probably invent my own chapter...

• 3 weeks later...

very good job man! that dread is great!

i think the problem with the gold is a lack of contrast. the highlight tone you use for the green that is lined right next to the gold kind of blends it in to the main color due to the reflectiveness of the mettalic paint. you could try to use a white back drop for your photos with some shielded light and no flash to better achieve the real look. i had the same problem with pictures at first with my iron warriors. in real life they arent shiny at all and have a weathered look but with the camera flash they look like i used mithril silver everyone on them.

if you notice the problem in real life vision as well you could try a darker green shade tone in the crease of the trim and shoulder pad. using a brown coat before applying gold helps toning the shiny down

Thanks again for all your nice comments!

very good job man! that dread is great!

i think the problem with the gold is a lack of contrast. the highlight tone you use for the green that is lined right next to the gold kind of blends it in to the main color due to the reflectiveness of the mettalic paint. you could try to use a white back drop for your photos with some shielded light and no flash to better achieve the real look. i had the same problem with pictures at first with my iron warriors. in real life they arent shiny at all and have a weathered look but with the camera flash they look like i used mithril silver everyone on them.

if you notice the problem in real life vision as well you could try a darker green shade tone in the crease of the trim and shoulder pad. using a brown coat before applying gold helps toning the shiny down

Thanks for the tips!

That is a stunning paint job! I have a 2 suggestions and a question. Quesion, how did you do the green (I like the gold too...its not a stark contrast but it looks good just the same).

Suggestions if you change the gold maybe go yellow as has been suggested. I think yellow would look sweet too. Being they are CLEARLY aussie colours perhaps a good chapter name might be the Southen Sons. :P

That is a stunning paint job! I have a 2 suggestions and a question. Quesion, how did you do the green (I like the gold too...its not a stark contrast but it looks good just the same).

Suggestions if you change the gold maybe go yellow as has been suggested. I think yellow would look sweet too. Being they are CLEARLY aussie colours perhaps a good chapter name might be the Southen Sons. :huh:

I'll see what I will do with my gold trims... Thanks for your input!

To your question, here is the recipe for my green armour:

1. Start with Chaos Black spray
  2. Basecoat the whole model with Knarloc Green
  3. Wash the whole model with Devlan Mud
  4. Then layer on Camo Green (thin in 2 coats)
  5. Highlight with a mix of Rotting Flesh and Camo green (about 2 parts RF and 1 part CG)
  6. Last, if I feel up to it, a fine highlight of pure Rotting Flesh

Suggestions if you change the gold maybe go yellow as has been suggested. I think yellow would look sweet too. Being they are CLEARLY aussie colours perhaps a good chapter name might be the Southen Sons. ;)

I'll see what I will do with my gold trims... Thanks for your input!

To your question, here is the recipe for my green armour:

1. Start with Chaos Black spray
  2. Basecoat the whole model with Knarloc Green
  3. Wash the whole model with Devlan Mud
  4. Then layer on Camo Green (thin in 2 coats)
  5. Highlight with a mix of Rotting Flesh and Camo green (about 2 parts RF and 1 part CG)
  6. Last, if I feel up to it, a fine highlight of pure Rotting Flesh

Awesome, thank you :P

Archived