SmallVictory's WIP log

smallvictory

It is finally starting to feel like Fall and that means dusting off my brushes. I have never been happy with the way my Chaos Marines looked, they seemed a bit cartoony and clean. I wanted to make a more realistic dirty yellow and instead of trying to acheive a specific color I've decided to try the blending techniques I've reas about on these forums and see what color I ended up with. Here one of the chosen I have posted here in the distant past, I've painted a few armor plates paying close attention to the light source.

gallery_31750_5357_927050.jpg

gallery_31750_5357_2042.jpg

I am happy so far, I plan on painting the cape red and the trim some kind of dark metal. So what do you think, is there enough contrast, more shading, more highlighting, add certain colors, is it just right?

Thanks Ludovic, I have gone ahead and started to basecoat the rest of the armor and have done some light shading, haven't started highlights yet.

gallery_31750_5357_24600.jpg

Got distracted and started painting the cloak, decided on blue and completed the back.

gallery_31750_5357_49232.jpgThis method of painting is not for those in a hurry that is for sure, hoping that the coverage issues start going away when I add the highlights. Black takes a lot of thin coats to go over with yellows! Time to start highlighting, wish me luck.

Not too shabby. Could do with a bit more extreme highlight blending towards the bottom of the cloak and the centre axes of the cylindrical power armour plates, but not a bad attempt, certainly/

• 2 weeks later...

gallery_31750_5357_2972.jpggallery_31750_5357_24193.jpggallery_31750_5357_26440.jpg

Lots of progress, in fact almost done. Used a yellow ink on all of the armor after adding one more highlight as Replica suggested and took the cloak another shade lighter on the cloak following Hemals advice. Thanks for the advice guys I am pleased with the results, the last thing I really need to do is freehand a chapter symbol on the belt and come up with a plan on how to paint those plasma coils. Any friendly advice on glowing plasma gun effects would be appreciated.

Looks good, if you want another way to try blending then try using oil paints. I've never tried it myself on a model but the ones I have seen ar amazing and take under 5 minutes to do. Just remember 3 things if you try it:

1-use a synthetic hair brush, it will dye natural hair,

2-oil paints can take up to 3 days to dry (that's why it's so easy to blend!)

3-use turpentine/white spirit to clean the brush

However the blending you have there is great, keep it up!

Looks good, if you want another way to try blending then try using oil paints. I've never tried it myself on a model but the ones I have seen ar amazing and take under 5 minutes to do. Just remember 3 things if you try it:

1-use a synthetic hair brush, it will dye natural hair,

2-oil paints can take up to 3 days to dry (that's why it's so easy to blend!)

3-use turpentine/white spirit to clean the brush

However the blending you have there is great, keep it up!

Hi there, i have 2 questions.

1.Where can i buy oil paints?

2.Cant you just watering down the paint when blending instead of using oil paints?

Thats all.

/highborn mergula

@Highborn Mergula:

1-You can buy Oil Paints from any art store usually, along with the brushes required.

2- You can use Acrylic Paints (GW Paints) as most people (including 'Eavy Metal) do, but they tend to be harder to use. They dry out a lot quicker , i.e. when your painting; they tend to not cover as well as oils, which give a more vibrant colour; and they can also tend to overpower each other, causing you to have to go back and forth over and over again to get a smooth transition of colour. Also, when you add water to Acrylics it does thin them down and hence make them a bit easier to blend, but it also means that some of the vibrancy of the pigment is lost, whereas with oils when you use them the don't need to be diluted usually but if they do they don't lose pigment (they are diluted with a thing called Liquin by the way).

Here's a video tutorial to help you see the difference between the two, its very useful as he talks you through the technique for both Oil Paint and Acrylics:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=__U0wNcEwHU

(It's not me in the video by the way)

Hope this stuff helps,

Fowlie

That's a very cool mini. I'm loving the yellow armour and blue cloak combo and the paintwork looks great.

For blue/white glowing plasma coils you could try:

Basecoat of Space Wolves Grey

Wash of Asurmen Blue

Highlight the raised parts of the coils with Space Wolves Grey

Highlight the raised parts of the coils Skull White

Glaze the whole lot with watered down Asurmen Blue

For green/white you could substitute Asurmen Blue wash with Thraka Green wash I think (I haven't personally tried it but it would probably work the same)

cheers

James

gallery_31750_5357_41052.jpg

Calling it done, thanks for the advice James, only had some old GW blue ink, but the SW grey did the trick. Sorry to dissapoint Metal Apostle but he is not part of the Dornian Heresy, just another warband I'm afraid. Although I did go back and read the history, really good stuff, but the Fists weren't yellow for long before becomming the Black Legion and I wouldn't want to commit to such great fluff and throw all kinds of models in my army that didn't make sense. Nice link S Bloodhowl, but learning a new technique in a whole new medium after buying a bunch of new paints isn't in the cards right now. Posting him on the HOH and moving on to the rest of the army. Thanks again for the feedback.

Painting the skin and eyes of one of my champions and I'm almost satisfied. I wanted the tentacles to have a purple/blue effect which is cool, but keep screwing up the extreme highlighting. I'm happy with the glowing eye but the normal one seems like I should be painting his eyeball, but I'm afraid of the googely eye look. I'm gonna paint the rest of him now and save the head for last. Any thoughts would be great, maybe I should just leave it as is, dunno...... Thanks in advance for any comments.

gallery_31750_4411_29118.jpggallery_31750_4411_7051.jpg

Actuyally those tentacles look quite nice! I like the slightly textured effect - looks like teh tentacle of a real marine animal rather than some pink and blue monstrosity from teh warp...

• 2 weeks later...

Finally had some time to paint a bit, painted the Champions sword four different times untill I liked it. Also got some paint on some of his squad, just base coat of yellow and some shading, can't wait to paint the mutated leg of the guy on the left. I'm thinking more of a fleshy red color on the mouth and tentacles, maybe even try some sort of spot pattern to spice it up.

gallery_31750_4411_19761.jpg

@Hemal- I appreciate you noticing, I am trying to stay away from the super bright tentacles/mutations, the armor is bright enough.

@Ludovic- Thanks for the kind words, the pictures really hide the holes in my "skills", just trying to learn before I tackle my HQ's.

@Ludovic- Thanks for the kind words, the pictures really hide the holes in my "skills", just trying to learn before I tackle my HQ's.

I'm sure they're as good in picture as they are in real. Also, I think that you painting up your troops before your HQ's is a very good idea, there's less chance that you'll be disappointed :)

I'm liking the new additions ;) Can't wait to see the whole squad done!

Ludovic

gallery_31750_4411_55253.jpg

Last post of these two before I send them to the HOH. I like the green monster leg on the tabletop, even though it is a little over the top. Just need to paint weapons, skulls, the black helmet and the bases. Note; painting tiney letters on "headbands" is nerve-wracking, but I'm digging it.

gallery_31750_4411_45596.jpg

Monster leg!

Looking great smallvictory! Banana marines to the rescue! :P (Nah, they really look great, I especially love your yellow and the fluff behind these chaps). Looking forward to seeing more. :)

Ludovic

I noticed ther is a little bit of build up on some of your models, try watering down your paint a little more, it means having to spend a little more time on your work but it will pay off. also FFR, when lightening colours use a lighter shade of the colour rather than white and the same with darkening. IE enchanted blue + ice blue = good mid range better than adding white wich can make it look a bit chalky and better than Ultramarines blue wich is a grey based colour. this obviously doesnt apply to yellow, the only way is white (bleached bone?) but good to know for future colour schemes... i think GW did an article on it on their website..... not sure

By the way fantastic models dude :)

• 2 weeks later...

@ Mikal- I assure you that I keep the paints really watered down, my problem is skill level and patience. I way too often have too much paint loaded up on the brush, leave ring marks, and then try to cover it all up leaving what looks to be build up. Thanks for the props on the models, I try to have fun with them and add something unique to every one.

gallery_31750_4411_42863.jpg

First armored model I have ever tried, this thing has givin me fits! Finished the yellow, added some black blocking and freehanded the Tzeentch fire serpent eating itself symbol on the top hatch. The front is not shown because it is borderline over the top cheeseball. Going to try to save it with paint before ripping off a lot of plasticard and greenstuff.

Very WIP, lots of work still including learning a weathering technique. I thing I may have used too much red/brown on the bottom half but it liiks good on the table, what do you think?

Man this thing has been a time sink! Painted up the front, hated it then ripped off the green stuff flames I had sculpted, re-primered the front and repainted it. Decided to make all the black portions metallic, hated that, re-painted them black. Then I free handed three different Tzeentch symbols on the "eye" portion of the front, they all looked way too busy/lame like I was trying too hard so it's now just painted black. Lots of little stuff to do before I call it done, what do you think of the overall color scheme?

gallery_31750_4411_30010.jpg

This shot shows the chapter symbol on the side to tie it in to the unit.

gallery_31750_4411_56933.jpg

Here is a shot of the top hatch, super simple but it's my favorite part.

• 2 months later...

Been about two months, I've been lazy and failed to hit any of my painting goals, but I've started anew! Unfortunatly I dropped my nice SLR camara down some bleachers and killed it so it's up to my cell phone to fill the gap until I can afford to replace it. Here's my Defiler, I have clearly been base coating him, nothing special done except for the giant bird skull/trophy rack in place of the head. I super dig the skull, I cooked up a chunk of super sculpy and attacked it with my dremmel while looking at random skull pictures on the internet. Nothing used but the drill bit looking cutting attachment, never done that before and I'm quite proud.gallery_31750_4411_141416.jpg

gallery_31750_4411_1233.jpg

gallery_31750_4411_53396.jpg

Looong over-due replies: @Shortsonfire79- Thanks for the kind words brother, I've followed your work for some time and appreciate the feedback. @Ludovic- hahahahahaha, after years of being made jealous of others posts on this site I've finally done it! Take that B-n-C, I'm giving some back now! :o

Archived