SmallVictory's WIP log

smallvictory

Nice timing Mr. Malevolent, I havent posted a thing in a month and you caught me. The yellow method I use goes as follows;

1. Base coat with Vomit brown (see the defiler picture below, its at this stage)

2. mix equal parts Vomit Brown and Red Gore, thin it way down with water, 60%water at least. Use this mix to shade.

3. If I am feeling really crazy I'll give a deep shade of thinned down Scorched Brown, honestly I am usually too lazy for this step but I like the results.

4. Start adding Bleached Bone to some Vomit Brown, thin it down and highlight. I jump to pure Bleached Bone pretty quickly then hit the brightest areas with Skull white.

5. MOST IMPORTANT STEP!! Up until now things look really dull, grab some yellow ink (GW stopped making it so I now use P3), water down the ink 50/50. Slop the thinned down ink all over every part of the yellow surface from the deepest shaded area to the pure white parts. Instantly the model goes from almost chalky brown to bright smooth yellow in the last step.

Hope that helps, I just looked and shouldn't you be working on Word Bearers? Last time I checked they weren't yellow :cuss

I convinced my wife we needed a new camera so that we could take pictures if the kids sports, she agreed and now I'm back in business! I've got a brush in hand right now and this defiler is getting done. The base coating is all done, started the skull, it will be brought up to Skull White and covered with Tzeentchie Rune/tatoo markings. The rest of the totem looks like he is wearing a space marine hat, I'm taking any suggestions on how to make it look less silly. As always C&C is always welcome, thanks for looking!

gallery_31750_4271_104530.jpg

Why yes sir you are correct ;) I always like to know different recipes here and there. I'll be adding Horrors to my Host in the near future and figured this scheme could work with mine (I'm painting them in a multitude of colors). Thanks for the mini tutorial! That Defiler is looking sweet by the way. Loving the skull. I think if you added a few more trophies on top the torso it wont look so much like the focal point and less hat like (if that makes any sense haha) oh and I cannot wait to see that skull done up with runes! I've always had a special place for your warband in my black heart and I'm eagerly awaiting more ^_^

Just posting the finished yellow on the Big Bird. I'm going to work on the metallics last because I keep rubbing off paint when I hold this unweildy monster while painting it. Next up is the skull and other details, I'll post progress as I finish things.

Thanks for the kind words Mr. Malevolent, the big obstical I'm up against is the height of the model in my army case is maxed out at the moment so adding more the the top is out of the question. I think I'll just finish painting it and then assess the situation.

gallery_31750_4411_50338.jpg

Thanks Goose, I need to make some snuffolufagus (spelling?) Chaos Spawn to practice my green stuff. Speaking of, thats not a GS skull, I dont have that much controle of that sticky stuff. It's Super Sculpy, really cool clay like stuff that you bake, winds up really firm but soft enough to be perfect for a dremmel tool. Everyone should play around with some, I love it.

Ah yes I see what you mean then about height limit. I myself have tried Super Sculpy a bit and it is much fun to mess with. I had an idea to mass produce Spawn out of Super Sculpy to make a horde of them, as to me it seems easier to work with then GS and cheaper then buying the all plastic Spawn kits for something with no armour save haha.

Archived