Bolster Defenses question

marine77

I am putting together a MotF list with 6 dreads. Does the MotF/Techmarine "Bolster Defenses" rule affect the cover save given to obscured dreadnoughts?

The Bolster Defenses rule states that the MotF increases the saves provided by a ruin +1. In the case of a ruin, it would improve a 4+ to a 3+.

Now the issue comes from the meanings of the words cover and obscured. The BRB says that a model gets a "cover save" when it is "obscured" by another object whether terrain or model/unit. A vehicle simply has to be more than 50% "obscured" by a piece of terrain or model/unit to gain a "cover save".

So, would a dreadnought sitting in a bolstered ruin get a 4+ or a 3+ cover save?

This seems to be pretty similar to the KFF debate that Ork players went through. I would love to hear interpretations on this as it has a huge impact on my army.

The vehicle gets the same cover save as the save given by the piece of cover it's being obscured in, so if it was eligible to receive a cover save while in a ruin (needs to be 50% LOS blocked), it gets a 4+. If that same ruin is bolstered, it gets a 3+ cover save. If the side the shot is coming from is completely blocked but the shooter can see a different side and the vehicle is in a bolstered ruin, it gets a 2+ cover save.

All of this is covered on page 62 of the BRB :).

• 5 months later...

My apologies for the threadomancy, but i'm looking for opinions on how some of the stranger situations should be played.

What do we do for a vehicle which is obscured by a combination of a bolstered ruin and some other piece of terrain, but would not be sufficiently obscured by the bolstered ruin alone?

Does it matter if the vehicle is 'in' the bolstered ruin, or could a bolstered ruin halfway across the table provide 3+ cover so long as it obscures the target? If not, how close to the ruin does a model need to be in order to gain the bolstered save?

What about a vehicle that is fully inside the bolstered ruin but receives a cover save from some other source? (e.g. Smoke, obscured by another vehicle, etc.)

1 )If a unit is eligable for a cover save, you give it the best of the options.

2 )As long as it obscures the target it doesnt matter if the vehicle is in it or not, being bolstered doesnt affect this.

3 )Its honestly never come up- so Im not sure.

1 )If a unit is eligable for a cover save, you give it the best of the options.

2 )As long as it obscures the target it doesnt matter if the vehicle is in it or not, being bolstered doesnt affect this.

3 )Its honestly never come up- so Im not sure.

1) I beleive the point is that its not actualy eligable for the 3+. If a 10 man unit has 3 men in 4+ cover, and 3 men in 3+ cover, the unit gets a 4+ save, you take the best save that at least 50% of the unit is in. It should be noted that a 3+ can count toward the % of 4+, or any lesser save.

2) indeed

3) the ruin will have no effect unless it would be able to provide its save even if the unit in question had not poped smoke (or whatever other external effect was in place)

Archived