Order of the Virtous Lily WiP

SisterofChaos

Some people asked me whether I were just drawing Sisters or I'd paint them, too.

Usually, I'd answer "no", but as I really like the SoB armour and miniatures and my boyfriend always wanted to paint up something, I thought I'd give it a shot.

So here she is. She's not finished yet, obviously, and there are some mistakes I have to clean up, but I'd love to hear what you think about my first attempt.

Can't stress it often enough: first attempt, be kind to the little girl (me) ^^

http://img836.imageshack.us/img836/7093/sororitawip.jpg

Looks good, the shading and highlights are great and the paint looks smooth. The skin is also great, very neat.

2 points to improve on in my opinion:

1-Maybe add a bit more shading to the joint in the armour a it looks a bit like it's all one piece at the moment, perhaps a wash of Devlan Mud applied only in the recesses would work, maybe one or two layers.

2- BUY YOURSELF SOME BLACK OR WHITE (or Grey) SPRAY PAINT TO UNDERCOAT THE MODEL BEFORE YOU START PAINTING IT! ... please

Apologies for the capitals, it wasn't to make me seem as though I was shouting but rather to highlight the point.

Fowlie

I think using primer is a matter of taste. Of course, the paint might occasionally wear off, but if you've got bad luck, this might even happen to a well-primed mini.

I actually prefer priming my models with a brush, as spray paint just isn't my best friend. Either the basecoat becomes somewhat dusty or I'll have to fill out so many pieces manually that it just doesn't seem economic to use the spray paint at all.

Anyway, you've made a great start here. Hope we'll paint some more minis soon...

For the Emperor and may Donna kick @$$ quite soon.

Jokes aside: finish it, goddamnit!

you're back! ;)

good start, but as bloodhowl said, prime the model before painting. preferably with black or white, although that's more a mater of taste. (i know it may sound stupid, but trust the 'vets' on this)

the armor and ropes look good, but the face is a bit dark, i would recommend a highlight of elf flesh.

either way, keep it up and keep 'm coming (i'm also hoping for some new artwork btw :lol: )

Thank you all for your comments!

@S. Bloodhowl

You know... Actually, it's not only my first miniature, but also the only one I own. I'm using my boyfriend's equipment, and as he said, he doesn't like primer. I have no choice but to trust him - and besides, I am not too keen on spending money on that hobby (don't hate me ^^). Especially since a can of primer is 12.5 €...

Concerning the shading: I've never before to paint something like a miniature. And too be honest, I'm always afraid of ruining it. That's why I'm (maybe a bit too) careful when applying washes to the armour's recesses.

@ war009: Thank you!

@ Rogan: Oh, shut up ^^

I'll paint another (or rather finish this one ^^) when I feel like doing so.

Maybe tonight? ^^

@WarInHeaven: I won't repeat the spray paint part, but essentially, it just comes down to what I said before :-)

The pic shows quite a dark face, yes, but if you could see her "life", you might be able to even spot her eyes.

Boyfriend needs a new camera!

Artwork... I'm working on it. You know, I'm quite busy at the moment. But the next SoB, Sister Soraya, is already WiP. And maybe she'll have a melta gun.

Anyone else thinking that 40k weapons look awfully hard to draw? That's what keeps me from drawing more sisters.

12 quid?! I take it you're only looking at GW's overpriced junk. There are DOZENS of other, better, cheaper alternatives to GW's stuff, even in the UK. Just do a quick search on the How-to section.

As for the actual paintwork... I'm liking the robe, the highlight isn't too extreme. Did you yank a Deathwing color scheme for the armor, it seems similar. I'm actually liking the face, it's nice to see a Sister with an actual TAN.

Archived