Drop Pods

NExOBLIVISCARIS

In my army list I have only one drop pod and i have equiped this drop pod with a locator beacon so my question is. Should I keep the LB because its only 10 points just incase my enemy forgets to destroy the drop pod, or should I take it off and find somewhere else to use those points?

This should go in the tactica subforum. But, to answer your question, you should answer this with two questions: 1. Am I bringing an expensive/important set of Termies with this? 2. Do I trust this Drop Pod not to scatter 4 feet away from where I'd like the Termies (and everything in the pod, for that matter)?

If you answered both yes, then yes. If you answered only one...your choice. If you answered none in the affirmative, you probably need to chuck your scatter dice.

I have an LB on my pod too. the only other unit that can have one are the scout bikes and it's expensive and more likely to get destroyed (scout bike = cardboard). You also get better tactics with it. Imagine Drop podding a Dreadnaught then using the LB to call Terminators around it? :HQ:

-danny

Are we dropping the pod on turn 1 or as a part of later Reserves deployment? They both have advantages and disadvatages, really--if deploying the relevant pod immediately, then you run the serious risk of it dying before the Termis can arrive, but if you bring it on later, there's a decent chance that the Termies will arrive before the Drop Pod can and this requires a second Drop Pod anyways.

Just something to consider.

If he only has one Drop Pod, it's coming in on the first turn due to the DP rules.

Drop Pods with Locator Beacons are nice ways to guarantee that you can get support to your DSing forces incase you can't get their otherwise; it means that Terminators and Deep Striking jump troops or Speeders or even other Drop Pods (provided the Drop Pod with the locator beacon didn't come in this turn) can drop right in with you for a party. It helps for this to have your Drop Pod not get blown up...or to have more than one Drop pod. Trick is that you can't guarantee that it'll be any help, as you might run into a spot where your Reserves are on deck to DS in and you currently have no live DPs on the table. It's part of the risk. <3 You can give Scout Bikers Locator Beacons also.

If you're only using teleport Deepstrikes, you can stick Teleport homers with your tactical squads, and give them much needed support in a pinch. (I have a Librarian in Terminator Armor that is equipped for this purpose precisely.)

Archived