SisterofChaos

Hi everyone!

Some users asked for avatars, so I thought I'd present you some of them.

Another Sister of Battle (for Canoness Celestia):

http://img297.imageshack.us/img297/9518/hearthehereticsburnbyhy.jpg

And here a Space Marine with a familiar face (for Rogan):

http://img2.imageshack.us/img2/8257/mikeyavatarfkopie.jpg

He didn't want to have a background, so I left it out. Of course he'll have to edit it a bit, like resizing it, but so far he's happy with it.

/e: Wow! I didn't expect so many people to respond to my offer in so short a time!

And as I will be busy for some time (5 avatars and 1 commission to go) I won't take any more requests for now. Thus you'll have to be patient. :-)

You have good illustration skills, but the marine look like he's about 18.

Er... actually, I'm 22. ^^

It's not a Marine, it's me in Power Armour. Okay... Technically, that makes me a Marine... But.. ah, whatever, I wanted to see myself in power armour ^^

And judging by the ages Astartes are initially inducted they may well be 18-22 when they break out of the Scout Company or Talented enough to be promoted to a Battle Company. So either way, it doesn't really matter. I think they're great!

Aww... No avatars atm? I wanted another one! ^^

@ Hubernator: That's okay with me. In fact, I wanted an unmarked boltgun, as you rarely find a miniature without insignia and such.

*whispers* And besides, she's a newb to 40k! ;-) *whispers*

Maybe.

But this time he spoke the truth^^

I've started drawing 40k stuff about half a year ago. I did some sketches before, but not "the real thing".

And I never took real care of the background - I wanted to draw sisters because they were the only "real" girls in that misogynist (always wanted to use that word) universe. ^^

Though I find that the avatars are drawn badly, I am really do not think that anything in the 40k Universe should have a manga style face. It really does not fit into to the overall theme of the grim dark (I have yet to find a manga/anime that can pull that off). Also as Firepower pointed out the sister of battle does have that Tee-hee face and does not read as the oh I just killed heretics as you said it was, maybe make the face more battle scarred and have the wear and tear on it then maybe it could be read as that.

Other than that I like it.

@ Shiro the Betrayed:

I hope you forgot the word "don't", for if you haven't, I'd be mad at you ^^

I think manga or not is a matter of taste; as you might have noticed, some people like (especially the customers - some of them wanted an avatar just because of the visual style) it, some don't.

So far, I haven't had any complains about my SoB avatar, therefore I take it that the customer likes it. And that's what matters after all. :-)

Thanks for your criticism, but I won't and can't change my style. Especially since it's a free service, and everyone can decide for themselves if they'd like to have one or not.

However, I'll consider doing more battle damage. Not at the avatar pics, though, because you just can't see it when it's downscaled. ;-)

And the fase is just a little bit off by a 0,01 % of a degree, and the shining part is just a little bit off with the other parts ...

Who cares? It's beautiful, even if it's manga+warhammer bash. I wish I could draw that well. Instead of looking at all the points that don't match the fluff, look at the time and skills it took to make it.

@ Fire Lord Captain:

Yeah, that pretty much sums it up. Thanks ^^

@ caboosebe:

I really don't know what to say - I really do appreciate your praise.

Thank you, brother. :-)

I shall put some extra effort into your avatar! ;-)

@ Ace Debonair:

Thanks a lot!

And don't worry about the pun - I'm german, I didn't get it.

And by the way, commenting here absolves you automatically. ^^

Commenting here absolves me of anything I say? That's ok, I don't have anything bad to say in the first place... Well, that's not entirely true, The glove (on the first picture, that's pointing up and close to the Sister's face) looks like it was colored with a different tool than the rest of the... painting? Drawing? Was it drawn as an outline then painted, or just drawn, or what?

I'm an artist myself, albeit a terrible one, I spend far too much time worrying about details (like caboosebe said) to actually produce fairly decent art... -_-

I could give you a critique on your art, and give you tips to improve without changing your style, but I'll hold off because you've already stated that you don't want them.

Although I would like a drawing/painting, you seem to be busy at the minute, so I'll hold off and wait until your not, which was actually the whole point of posting this, to ask if you'd let me know when you might draw/paint another drawing/painting.

@ Dark Apostle Thirst:

Ok, I'll start off with the glove thingy: first I drew the outlines with a pencil and then coloured it on the computer. That's why they're rather light and blurry. Especially the gloves didn't do too much good, that's why I decided to completely erase them. But it doesn't matter in the end; the avatar will be so tiny you'll hardly notice. ^^

I meant in no way that I didn't want to have some advice; the only thing I don't want is to severely change my style just because of other people's opinions.

I'll let everyone know as soon as I have finished the first wave of avatars. You have to be quick, though, because as the signature says: first-come, first-served.

@ Lone Scout:

Thanks a lot!

Yeah, I know, stick people are hard to draw.^^

Remember; it's first-come, first-served, so keep an eye on this thread - or at least my signature ;-) - and you shall have yours. :-)

Archived