Making Insects Flee

muadib02

So the other day my wolves were busy warding off a swarm of Tyranids and an interesting event occurred.

During my turn some out of Synapse Gaunts were defeated, they failed their leadership, and won the initiative test...as such they fled....

But they fled far enough to be back in Synapse range at the beginning of their turn.

Now the Tyranid codex states that if this happens they automatically regroup regardless of any restrictions.

My opponent and I then became confused.

My Side: They regrouped so they may only move 3", count as moving regardless, and may shoot/run, and assault normally

His Side: they ignore the whole morale thing as they are now fearless

My logic: ATSKNF explicitly states that Space Marines get to move as normal etc. when they regroup....Synapse does not

Does this makes sense? Or are tyranids fleeing into synapse better at ATSKNF than Space marines?

So the other day my wolves were busy warding off a swarm of Tyranids and an interesting event occurred.

During my turn some out of Synapse Gaunts were defeated, they failed their leadership, and won the initiative test...as such they fled....

But they fled far enough to be back in Synapse range at the beginning of their turn.

Now the Tyranid codex states that if this happens they automatically regroup regardless of any restrictions.

My opponent and I then became confused.

My Side: They regrouped so they may only move 3", count as moving regardless, and may shoot/run, and assault normally

His Side: they ignore the whole morale thing as they are now fearless

My logic: ATSKNF explicitly states that Space Marines get to move as normal etc. when they regroup....Synapse does not

Does this makes sense? Or are tyranids fleeing into synapse better at ATSKNF than Space marines?

The Eldar Avatar can do the same kind of thing... that is one of the reasons footdar lists tend to feature them.

Might be lost in translation but...

Since they regroup in my turn (because they go into synapse during their fall back), they are 100% ok in THEIR turn, since they were already regrouped.... so they act as is they were in synapse (which is what happens).

Correct?

Since they regroup in my turn (because they go into synapse during their fall back)

There are no rules for regrouping during the opponen's turn. As per the Codex Tyranids, units that are currently falling back that are within synapse range before they move automatically regroup. They do not regroup when falling back into synapse range.

I.e. Opponent's turn, a squad of Gaunts outside of Synapse range fails a morale test and falls back. The fall back move takes them within Synapse range of a few warriors. This does nothing for the Gaunts at the current time (and should the Warriors be killed in the following assault phase the Gaunts will continue fleeing).

Tyranid turn, the Gaunts are still considered "falling back" and now would have to continue falling back during their own movement phase, but because they are within synapse range, they automatically regroup.

• 3 weeks later...

Yeah I pointed this out to an opponent of mine once and he was gutted! It meant if you force a unit to break and flee they are gone for 2 turns rather than one! Essentially a unit of Hormagaunts there to prevent you from shooting outside synapse can be seen off in the turn they charge, you get a turn to ignore them if you want and then the opponent get's to regroup them in synapse, and then you get a whole other turn to do what you want before they come at you again.

Really brings up the need for synapse in assaults for them eh :P

It meant if you force a unit to break and flee they are gone for 2 turns rather than one!

Well, you usually make enemy units flee in your own turn, so they only lose one of their own turns if they manage to rally upon the first opportunity. The only time you make an enemy unit flee in the opponent's turn is during close combat, in which case the enemy unit eitehr had gotten it's regular turn and had been charging your unit, or the enemy unit had spent the turn locked in HtH, but then still got to attack during that combat.

Archived