Cleanse and Burn! (Scouring-Era Blood Angels Kill Team log)

Pig Of Sparta

http://i347.photobucket.com/albums/p456/pigofsparta/Blood%20Angels%20Kill%20Team/BABanner.jpg

:HQ:

"...with the Warmaster's death the Heresy is over is it not?" asked Brother Helion. "Not until every one of his followers have breathed their last" growled Brother Solosae. "That is where you come in sons of Sanguinius" said a voice heavy with anguish. The squad of Blood Angels veterans turned to regard the speaker and as one, came smartly to attention. "Lord, we..." began Brother Adelo before thinking better of it.

"As you were" breathed Chapter Master Raldoron. "It is a time for both joy and sadness my brothers." he continued, "Joy that we have broken the back of the Warmaster's rebellion and sadness for all that it has cost us." The hardened squad of veterans cast their eyes down, their shoulders dropping as their master's resonated in their very souls. "Brother Solosae has the truth if it I'm afraid, our work is only half done"

"What would you have us do my lord?" asked Brother Sergeant Valias, direct as ever. "We will exact a blood price from those who spat upon their oaths to the Emperor. We will hunt them and we will destroy them" replied Raldoron, his eyes burning with conviction. "That is where you come in. You and other squads that I have selected will seek the holes that our former bretheren have crawled into in their flight and you will put them to the sword!"

Brother Sergeant Valias smiled grimly and hefted his bolter, the teeth of it's chainblade glinting menacingly. "Perhaps we grieving sons can take some small measure of satisfaction from this task" he said, eyeing his squad. All four of them nodded in agreement. "When do we begin?" he asked.

"I hoped you would ask that Sergeant" said Raldoron, returning the sergeant's smile "You shall begin at once...."

:HQ:

My poor attempts at story writing aside, welcome to my latest WIP. Allow me to fill you in a little more on the idea..

When I first saw Forge World's 'new' Space Marine armour kits, I knew I wanted to do something reasonably special with them. Building a crusade or heresey era army would have been cool, but beyond my means. What to do with them then? My next thought was, 'Kill Team'. Having played and enjoyed a few games using the rules from the Battlemissions book, I figured that since I don't get to game that often, a small unit that could be used on it's own for these very small games might be ideal.

So I started flicking through Space Marine codexes trying to think of what I could do with just one FW kit. Everytime I did this, I kept coming back to the Sternguard Veterans and Razorback entries. Around this time I started to be drawn to the mk V heresy armour kit. So I started thinking about how I could use these together.

Obviously the Razorback didn't exist during the heresy so I started to think that in those dark and desperate days, both sides would probably have taken to retrofitting weapons onto vehicles in order to try to gain an advantage over each other. Continuing this line of thought, I realised that the Multimelta mount and cupola from the Land Raider would fit on to a Rhino, but sadly I couldn't take a multimelta on a Razorback anymore. So I wentback to my codecii to see what I could take. Heavy Flamers... hmmm, now I was cooking with gas.

Having sorted out that issue, I turned my thoughts to colour schemes. Following a discussion in another thread, I had reasonably establised that if I wanted to make a heresy era loyalist unit wearing mk V armour, then I was safest going with either White Scars, Imperial Fists or Blood Angels. I then noticed that in the BA codex you could get heavy flamers on a fast Razorback for free...

Could I shoehorn the BA universal special rules into a Heresy era setting though? No, I decided that they didn't fit very well. However, I could see them fitting if I moved to a time after Sanguinus death. With these final thoughts I realised I had everything I needed. Thus I decided to create a Scouring era unit of Veterans who, having fought through and survived the worst that Horus and his allies could throw at them, would be now taking the fight to the Traitor Legions, flushing them from their hiding places and making them pay for their treachery with their lives.

All of this must sound terribly tedious and if you've made it this far into my ramblings, then I applaud you...

I have spent the last couple of weeks assembling everthing I need to complete this project:

http://i347.photobucket.com/albums/p456/pigofsparta/Blood%20Angels%20Kill%20Team/DSCF9159-1.jpg

one Forge World mk V Space Marine kit as well as 4 of the new combi flamers (I figured that they'd fit with my traitor hunting fluff as well as being useful in a game, as they could be used as combi meltas if I feel the need) and an Umbra Ferrox bolter with chainblade attachement for the Sergeant.

http://i347.photobucket.com/albums/p456/pigofsparta/Blood%20Angels%20Kill%20Team/DSCF9160-1.jpg

one rhino, one Land Raider multimelta/gunshield and gunner, a Baal Predator front plate (I liked the older look it gives) and 3 of the BA icons from the Baal Predator kit as well. I'm still waiting on the 'turret' gunner's shoulder pads though.

I'm also waiting on a couple of paints I need as well as the Army Painter colour primer I've decided to use for this project to speed up the initial stages of painting. Once I have all the resin parts, they'll be getting washed and cleaned up and the rhino and it's 'turret' will be built as well so very shortly I should have some assemble photos for you.

So there you have it. The beginning of another of my projects, one that I am going to finish this time. After all, it's only six models :)

thanks

James

I can't wait to see these guys in progress. I have a suggestion before you get all glue crazy. I would use some BA Death Company or Sanguinary Guard shoulder pads on their right side to give them all personal heraldry and more individuality. Just a thought.

Will you be using older artwork for painting inspiration?

Needless to say I am interested... might be the way I need to go rather than trying to do a Crusade Era World Eaters force out of the BA codex.

How did you manage to get the combi-flamers on their own, instead of in the Character Conversion pack? Did you bitz order them, and if so, which site did you get them from? Still, looking forward to this a lot. How will you do the bases?

Thankyou for all you replies. I was honestly a little nervous when I posted up last night (mostly because of the story and the length of the post) but it would seem my fears are unfounded.

@ mikhail: thanks for the PM. I had thought about this when I was purchasing all the bits over the last couple of weeks and I was going to buy some DC shoulder pads. I decided in the end though that I would try to make individual heraldry for each marine using decals and freehand work. Thankyou very much for your offer though, it is appreciated. Also I'm glad you're happy with 'sar mikhail' :).

@ Slyen: I had thought about painting checks onto the sarge's chain-bayonet, but I think I will try to google some of the older artwork for more inspiration, thanks for the idea!

@ Baal Dropout: thanks, your support is appreciated :).

@ Dark Link: I actually found them on Ebay, (when I searched just now though I couldn't find any I'm afraid) although I imagine that Bits and Kits and BitzBox will be carrying them shortly as well. Be warned though, those 4 combi-weapons plus the Umbra Ferrox one set me back around £15(!) without including postage.... but I just had to have them, if you know what I mean ;).

@ KhornateKiller and Battle-Brother Ludovic: Glad to have you guys on board :). I was thinking of trying to add more to the story with each proper update, now that I know it's acceptable I'll try to add a little more for some of the aspects of the project.

The last set of mk V shoulder pads I was waiting on arrived today, so I'm all set to begin cleaning and constructing. I'll be updating with some photos shortly I hope...

cheers

James

Ah, I see. I tend not to use Ebay due to the horrendous prices you mentioned. BitzBox do indeed carry the new pre-Heresy boltguns, although no word on the Conversion pack or any of the lovely new Red Scorpion kits. It's nothing to do with their prices, though, it's that BitzBox are always f***ing out of stock :)

I don't know if you know this but Chapterhouse studios does have a resin conversion to turn the current rhino into the 2nd edition one and it is not badly priced either. I have one and it is a very nice kit (have not put it together yet but.)

Sorry I've kept you all waiting, between my daughter re-discovering bed time tantrums and the medication I'm taking to stop smoking making me feel like crap I've not had much time to work on stuff the last few evenings, which is why I got my single mini's done first (they're easier to pack up if/when I need to) but here we go with a minor update, so no story I'm afraid....

All the resin parts are cleaned and drying, so this evening I've begun the construction of my warrior's noble steed:

http://i347.photobucket.com/albums/p456/pigofsparta/Blood%20Angels%20Kill%20Team/DSCF9186.jpghttp://i347.photobucket.com/albums/p456/pigofsparta/Blood%20Angels%20Kill%20Team/DSCF9185.jpghttp://i347.photobucket.com/albums/p456/pigofsparta/Blood%20Angels%20Kill%20Team/DSCF9187.jpghttp://i347.photobucket.com/albums/p456/pigofsparta/Blood%20Angels%20Kill%20Team/DSCF9188.jpghttp://i347.photobucket.com/albums/p456/pigofsparta/Blood%20Angels%20Kill%20Team/DSCF9189.jpg

(please excuse the presence of the Mechanicus approved restraining belts at this stage in the hull casting process)

I've taken the perhaps heretical decision to leave the interior unpainted on the 'Razorback' so I've glued the hull together although the front plate and doors aren't glued just now because the joins in the hull need tidying up once the glue has dried. I'm still waiting on the heavy flamers I've ordered for the cupola, but I'm gonna get the gunner put together tomorrow night and clean up the multimelta and gun shield.

@ war009: just took a look at that mk I rhino kit, it's quite nice, but although I have some very fond memories of the those kits, I definately prefer the chunkier look of the mkIIc ;)

cheers

James

So thanks to you I got thinking and am going to do my own version of this project! Rather than Blood angels I am going to do Imperial Fists though.

Inspiration thanks to others strikes again! Hope you start feeling better soon.

Soooooo tempted to take this idea and do it myself also! An excuse to 'treat' ourselves to some FW resin and (in the case of Sterngaurd) a unit I wouldn't usually use. Like the reason for your models, the thought out timing and, yes, even the story!

Now...if only I had someone who played kill team round here!

Good luck scouring!

Thanks for the comments guys, I'm starting to feel a little better now so I should be able to fit more modelling time in around my no being bothered casue I feel knackered and crappy-ness.

I've actually done some more work on the Razorback in the last couple of days, the turret gunner is built and the twin linked heavy flamers are almost done too. Just need to do the tracks and top hatches and I'll get some photos up :). I'm also working on the next part of the story too.

Oh and before I forget, keep an eye out for noctus cornix's thread which will be coming soon. We've exchanged som ideas and, well basically, he's building a Kill Team too and mine and his used to be brother's in arms (in fluff terms anyway)...

@ RebG and Slyen: good luck with your respective kill teams guys, hope to see you taking down some high value targets on near suicidal missions sometime soon :)!

James

I'm really sorry for taking so long to bring you another up date on this project but I hit a hurdle with the Heavy Flamer turret. I think it's mostly sorted now though as these pictures show:

http://i347.photobucket.com/albums/p456/pigofsparta/Blood%20Angels%20Kill%20Team/DSCF9238.jpghttp://i347.photobucket.com/albums/p456/pigofsparta/Blood%20Angels%20Kill%20Team/DSCF9232.jpghttp://i347.photobucket.com/albums/p456/pigofsparta/Blood%20Angels%20Kill%20Team/DSCF9234.jpg

Still need to do a little work on the prometheum hoses as I'm not entirely happy with the angle or wonkiness of the flamers just now.

Gonna clean up the tracks next and then get everything ready for painting then I'll get the actual squad started. Once again I'm sorry for my lack of updates.

thanks

James

Thanks guys. It's unusual in that it's almost exactly as I envisioned it when I began planning this project...

I got a test mini knocked together and undercoated with my shiny new can of Army Painter pure red today so I'll spend tonight painting him and throw some photos up later on :tu:

cheers

James

Thanks guys. It's unusual in that it's almost exactly as I envisioned it when I began planning this project...

I got a test mini knocked together and undercoated with my shiny new can of Army Painter pure red today so I'll spend tonight painting him and throw some photos up later on :P

cheers

James

How much "later on?" I'd like to see what you have done so far.

This much later I'm afraid mikhail.... but I do have some photos for you :P. Now, he's not finished, but this is after about an hour and a half's work not including the undercoat:

http://i347.photobucket.com/albums/p456/pigofsparta/Blood%20Angels%20Kill%20Team/KTtestmini1-1.jpghttp://i347.photobucket.com/albums/p456/pigofsparta/Blood%20Angels%20Kill%20Team/KTtestmini2-1.jpg

http://i347.photobucket.com/albums/p456/pigofsparta/Blood%20Angels%20Kill%20Team/KTtestmini3-1.jpghttp://i347.photobucket.com/albums/p456/pigofsparta/Blood%20Angels%20Kill%20Team/KTtestmini4-1.jpg

Now I know he's nowhere near finished, but bearing in mind that the last BA I painted took around 3-4 hours work just to establish this level of smooth red, I'm really impressed :). I think this is gonna pay dividends when I come to painting the Razorback....

Before I forget, he has a SW arm as it was the only bolt pistol one I had and he's missing his right hand because I couldn't find any other arm apart from this Sanguinary Guard one that I cut the axe off of :)

I'll hopefully have this guy almost completed tonight so more pics will be up when he's done

James

Archived