Dark Angels Artwork

LardO'Blood

First of all I want to thank SisterofChaos for inspiring me to share drawings with this thread.

Now I need some advice for my style, how do you like your space marine shoulder pads? (I will be drawing with pen/pencil and paper but for now I'm going to use the computer to illustrate this)

These are my 3 quick computer sketches. Any variations of these are welcome to!

http://img534.imageshack.us/img534/2895/shoulders.png

Personally, as the style of how the space marine has been made, I love the #1 shoulder pads. They help pronounce the 'enormous hulking killing machine' feel that I believe works best with the astartes.

the 2nd and 3rd shoulder pads are simply too slim fitting for the bulky design of astartes power armour. Sure it could work with the body suit style of a COG soldier (gears of war) or the a Spartan(Halo) but unlike them, the astartes is the very epitome of a 'walking tank' and they don't need silly cover like a pathetic human.

How about this? I tried to compromise between the two designs. And which head - shoulder pad placement do you like best? Also, do you invision the marines as having puny heads half the size of a shoulder pad or marginally smaller then the helmet?

http://img193.imageshack.us/img193/2550/headsandshoulders.png

The top left form is the most reasonable and realistic of them all (plus the others just look silly. They are shoulder guards after all, shouldnt they be protecting the shoulders? :blush: )

I never envision a space marine's head to be out of place within the suit of power armour. True it is that astartes power armour is a hulking suits of layers and layers of ceramite, but the space marine himself is a rather large fellow. I would probably say if he has no helmet on that you only make it a tiny tiny fraction of a size smaller compared to the armour as the armour is built around his body but not to the point where it looks like he's a tiny human in a mech suit.

Hmmm, sounds a lot like your talking style, which is entirely up to you! Personally, I have seen successful interuptations using all the methods you described.

Pick the one that pleases your eye the most, and sketch away! I figure the style you enjoy is one you will execute better!

Hope that helps!

• 3 weeks later...

Something to consider, being an artist myself, is the proportion.

Ive seen some pretty mental picture out there regarding Marines. If you tried to draw the Marines torso inside the 'armour' his arms and shoulders would be half a mile apart and his head about 3 times too small for his body. The Marine would also stand around 20 of his own head tall.

Makes no difference if you are a 8 foot killing machine, your head by default, should still be in proportion.

Just my two cents.

Something to consider, being an artist myself, is the proportion.

Ive seen some pretty mental picture out there regarding Marines. If you tried to draw the Marines torso inside the 'armour' his arms and shoulders would be half a mile apart and his head about 3 times too small for his body. The Marine would also stand around 20 of his own head tall.

Makes no difference if you are a 8 foot killing machine, your head by default, should still be in proportion.

Just my two cents.

In fact Yes but No.

the head is the only portion of a marines body that should not be in proportion, the marines long bone increase in size and so did the Torso to accept the new organ, but nothing state the head grow bigger (why would it).

Ossmodula

Phase 2: A small, tubular and complex organ, the ossmodula secretes hormones that both affect the ossification of the skeleton and encourage the forming bone growths to absorb ceramic-based chemicals that are laced into the Marine's diet.1 This heavily alters the way the Space Marine's bones grow and develop. Two years after this implant is first put in the subject's long bones will have increased in size (along with most other bones) and the rib cage will have been fused into a solid mass of bulletproof, interlocking plates.

also, remember like Vulcan He'stan said, the Body has to be realistic and proportionnate inside the armor. The armor won't be anyway, just take a look at the boot and the shoulder plate they are way too large, but it's so cool :D

Archived