Command squad question

FF151

Hey guys,

This is what I am planning on doing

-9 scouts with sniper rifles, along with Sgt. Telion.

- Thunderfire cannon with techmarine who will bolster the ruins where the scouts are sitting getting them a 2+ cover save

I would also like the Space marine captain and command squad to join the scout squad. That way if the scouts are assaulted at least they have a fighting chance.

The question I have on the rules is, does the apothecary confer Feel no pain to the entire unit including the scouts his unit joined? The rule book does not state he "confers it", it states "all models in his squad."

So who gets FNP? Just the command squad? or the captain and the command squad? or all of the above that joined together?

Any help would be appreciated!

FF

You can't join a unit to another unit unless it has the Independent Character rule. If the captain (an IC) joins the command squad, he receives FNP because for the moment he's a part of that unit. But a Command Squad can't join a Scout Squad, or any other squad.

Not sure where the confusion here derives from, so I'll just answer your rules query directly.

The IC can join either the Command Squad or the Scout Squad, but not both.

The Command Squad is not a Retinue; it is a separate unit, period.

The Command Squad can in no way attach itself to the Scout Squad.

The Command Squad and whatever ICs join it get FNP so long as the Apothecary lives.

Tactically speaking, sitting the command squad (or even a five man scout assault squad) into the ruins with the sniper team is not a bad idea to keep them covered. Frankly a scout sniper team is going to underwhelm you and they are not worth a full command squad to keep them defended. That's a discussion for the Tactica forum tho.

Thank you guys, I was not aware that the command squad was infact another unit. I thought it was just an addition to the Hq (hence the no HQ slot used by the command squad)

Thank you so much for the clarification!

cat/

Thank you guys, I was not aware that the command squad was infact another unit. I thought it was just an addition to the Hq (hence the no HQ slot used by the command squad)

Thank you so much for the clarification!

cat/

No problem. Be careful of inferring things like this from the rules; if it doesn't say it, it is not true. <3 Not taking up an HQ slot does not mean they don't count as an HQ choice; they in fact do. They just don't count against you insofar as further HQ choices (which do take up slots).

Much like a Rhino purchased for said command squad would ALSO be an HQ unit.

A Rhino chosen for a tactical squad on the other hand counts as its own independant Troops unit, despite taking no place on the force organization chart. *FOC*.

Archived