Quick Combat Squad Question

yogjoshoth

Okay, reading through the rules for combat squads. It says the decision to split the unit into combat squads must be done when the unit is deployed and may be placed in seperate locations. Then the last little paragraph says if the unit is split into combat squads each squad is treated as seperate units "from that point".

Am I correct in reading this as telling my opponent that the unit will be divided into combat squads. And if I deploy both 5-man squads in the same location that makes them a 10-man squad and I can actually seperate the it into combat squads at any time during the game?

So if I have a 10-man squad armed with a ML and Flamer, before my movement can I just say "the combat squads are splitting now." and allow my flamer group to move forward and possibly burn the crap out of something, while my ML squad remains stationary to shoot the ML?

Or am I way off here?

combat squads are set at the point of deployment.

Question 1: If you say to your opponent that a 10man squad will be split into combat squads, then at the time they are placed on the table they are 2 separate 5man units that act independently of one another. You can place the two squads together if you want, but when getting shot at they are two separate units and you cannot distribute wounds between the 2.

Question 2: If you combat squad at deployment then you can move the 5man unit with the flamer freely while the 5man with the ML stays because they are 2 separate units. If you did not combat squad at deployment then you cannot break up the squad later in the game.

Thanks for the quick response. And please forgive my need for clarity....

Okay. So they act as two 5man units the second they are deployed. So how would they meet the prerequisite for optional weapons? Since the codex says the unit needs to be a 10man unit to have one marine replace his bolter for a misle launcher, or whatever, how is it possible for me to have a ML in a combat squad? I am a little confused since there is no prerequisite for a combat squad to first be a 10man unit.....

Sorry if there is lack of gammer or poor spelling...posting from my phone at work :)

There is a pre-requisite of 10 man in order to combat squad :) If you had 8 marines you couldn't combat squad.

But what you throw in each 5 man group is up to you.

You choose your weapons when building the list (Force Organization Chart) but Squadding is a Deployment issue, not a FOC issue ;)

Hope it helps!

tanhausen has it right there.

you need 10 men to get those ML and Flamers (or other weapon options) for your marines. at the start of the army lists with the special rules, under combat squads it states (and i paraphrase as i don't have the codex at hand atm)

"a 10 man squad may be split into 2 5-man combat squads. this is done when deploying and the models in each combat squad must be declared. from then on each combat squad acts as a unit of its own, inc. for purposes of scoring units, kill points, etc"

i'll edit later with proper wording (unless someone beats me to it :))

The FOC and deployment comparisson does help. Thank you.

With all that you guys are saying, I take it that the initial 5man tac squad is NOT considered a combat squad. Correct?

So, are combat squads primarily just to provide additional scoring troops without taking up additional FOC slots?

The FOC and deployment comparisson does help. Thank you.

With all that you guys are saying, I take it that the initial 5man tac squad is NOT considered a combat squad. Correct?

So, are combat squads primarily just to provide additional scoring troops without taking up additional FOC slots?

Yes, basicly. Combat Squading can allow you to double the number of troops you have, or increase your firepower while allowing you to move some of your troops up the field aggressively- its not always a good idea, but its a nice option.

Heres the thing about 40k- you make your army list, and then you deploy your army... and the two are not going to be identical. There are several examples over the years of units that could be bought as 3 for an elites choice, or such. The last version of the Tyranid codex had alot of units that did that- only one spot on the FOC, but each deployed as its own unit. Death Cult Assassins from the inquisition books also do this.

Each of those units is its own kill point, because each is its own unit. Conversely there are some things where something is attached to another unit permanently despite being from a different FOC slot- such as Wolf Gaurd. Theyre part of the unit they join, and so do not give up their own kill points.

You purchase the unit using the rules shown in your codex. So yes, 10 men before you get a missile launcher and a flamer for example. If you took three casualties the unit would only be 7 strong, but those weapons dont dissapear..... once your list is made each model is equipped as youve decided through the whole game.

Archived