Sword Of Sanguinius

Well, this is a pickle.

On the one hand, you're correct; the wording is ambiguous. We should note that it does not say "Lasts for entire game", just as it does not say "Lasts for one turn" or whatever.

Consider that EVERY power (even from the other codecies) either has an Instantaneous duration (e.g. Vortex, Gate of Infinity, Blood Lance, Jaws of the White Wolf) or a One Turn duration (e.g. Warptime, Might of the Ancients). If it were the case that this power - which is significantly more powerful than Might of the Ancients (the SM codex power that grants Str 6) - were also to last much longer than MotA, it would very, very likely state as much. Not to mention, the power lasting the entire game after casting it sort of circumvents (via shenanigans) the whole "You can take two powers but only cast one a turn" restriction on Librarians...one that you can remove with points. You're effectively casting the power twice a turn if you allow it to persist, and thus getting Epistolary status for free.

It's an unfortunate fact of the game that things like this are left out; it's clear to me that it's meant to last for one turn, and I recommend you stick with that as it's much more in line with the other powers we have as examples.

For the record, I use the BA dex, and I cast it every turn, whether I succeeded before or not.

I'm the same with you in that whenever i use it i do cast it every turn. The only thing that bothers me is the fact it gives a time period for every other power except this one?

Don't let it bother you; it's one of many oversights in GW's ruleset. <3 What should bother you is the tendency for some to automatically infer that such an oversight allows for something grossly over-powered (eg an always flying Str 10 dreadnought with a psychic hood and force weapon). In the end, the rule to sight is "The Most Important Rule". Breaking the game = less fun for everybody involved; don't break it. ;)

Archived