Rhinos, Pivoting, Assaults

Supreme Overlord

Hey all,

I don't have a rulebook on me at the moment so I can't check myself, but I have a couple of questions regarding rhinos and pivoting.

Say a rhino loaded full of Marines speeds forward, front armour facing the enemy. The Marines do not disembark. In the opponents turn, the rhino survives. In the Marine players turn, the rhino pivots on the spot so the rear armour is facing the enemy. The marines disembark. Can they now move and assault since the vehicle didn't "move", or does the pivot count as a move?

Also, I've been getting mixed up with a rule regarding troops that bail out of destroyed vehicles. When a transport is destroyed, and the unit being transported is forced to disembark, according to a gaming buddy of mine the unit cannot be shot at or assaulted on the turn they are forced out. Is this correct?

Thanks for the help.

Pivoting on the spot is not counted as moving - BRB pg 57

Unit coming out a wrecked/exploded veh cannot be shot at by the same unit that shot the veh but it can be assulted/shot at by other units. Noting stopping a unit from shooting a veh then assulting the passangers. BRB pg 67

In the Marine players turn, the rhino pivots on the spot so the rear armour is facing the enemy. The marines disembark. Can they now move and assault since the vehicle didn't "move", or does the pivot count as a move?

No they can't move as a transport pivoting counts as moving [see p67 BRB under Disembarking]:

"If the vehicle has already moved (including pivoting on the spot), the passengers may disembark but not make any further move in the movement phase."

When a transport is destroyed, and the unit being transported is forced to disembark, according to a gaming buddy of mine the unit cannot be shot at or assaulted on the turn they are forced out. Is this correct?

Well they can be shot at and assaulted just like any other unit - even if pinned. However if they fail their pinning test and go to ground then they can't do anything of their own volition until their next turn. This is probably where your gaming buddy has got confused. [p24 BRB].

Cheers

I

Pivoting doesn't count as movement, so what you described is legal. Also, you can pivot at the end of movement, so you can put the side of your rhino (same AV11 as the front) towards the enemy, which is usually better - it gives more cover to anything behind the rhino, and if someone cracks the rhino you can fit your whole squad behind the rhino for cover. People I play with often joke about 'crab rhinos' since they usually move sideways like that.

Units coming out of a deployed transport get no special protection. They can't be shot at by the unit that cracked the vehicle because that unit already declared it's firing at the vehicle, but anything else can shoot at them. They can be assaulted by any unit in range, and are in fact the only valid assault target for the unit that cracked the transport.

Pivoting doesn't count as movement,

Although pivoting doesn't count as movement for the purposes of firing weapons – but it does for disemabrking units and their ability to move.

I don't see why there is confusion on pivoting(barring the OP), this is very clearly covered in the rulebook. As Isiah said pivoting counts as moving for the purposes of disembarking.

Not disagreeing with person I've quoted BTW :cuss

Otherwise you would have players drive up at full speed... wait for a turn... turn around disembark... turn again and fly off (or drive off) and the unit that got out would shoot and assault... and marine players I need to ask you this question... do you want to live in a world where Eldar can do that?

Pivoting doesn't count as movement,

Although pivoting doesn't count as movement for the purposes of firing weapons – but it does for disemabrking units and their ability to move.

This is correct. Pivoting for purposes of disembarking DOES count as moving. You can not PIVOT DISEMBARK and then ASSAULT. If you read it states that pivoting does not count as moving IN REFERENCE TO SHOOTING.

Archived