78th Mechanicus Exploritory Fleet

sword brethren

@chaplain belisarius - they will have enough armour but being quite new it will be a bit more limited than a more established chapter

@Marshal2 Crusaders - oh right, yeah he is a bit rounded but i thinks the armour style is a good look.

@shiningstorm101 - thanks, no name yet, you guys are welcome to think of one.

- the honour guard will be a 10 man unit, its more for show but me and a friend set a challenge of one HQ and an infantry squad for a small battle

and this is what im using, you are welcome to join if you think you have an interesting guard unit that you reckon will stand up to my calgar lead honour

guard and whatever nasty tyranids are brought out.

wow! thats like the exact same idea i had! same name and almost same colours! my marines were a bit more Arthurian Mythos based but still!

anyway keep going, you can probably do a lot better job on them than i can <_<

Great Minds Think Alike

DM

i looked at the crusade symbols and they are all very christian based, not something im opposed to but something i feel an army based around the imperium should avoid due to no direct link.

While it might not be a direct link the space marines are alluded to the Knightly orders during the middle ages. In a way the entire Imperium could be an allusion of a European country during that time frame. In fact I know of at least one case where it refers to marines as knights in the codex, and some chapter names reflect this. With this comes the imagry used by those knightly orders they are imitating, modified enough to be still recognizable to relate to a knight while being suitable for the setting.

As for the minis though I'm liking the work! The only issue to me seems like the power fists on your high marshall are off slightly. Could just be the camera but one (the open handed one) seems like it needs to be shifted slightly closer to the body. The other (closed) looks like it should be tilted back slightly to match with the rest of the arm and then have the gap filled that is showing with it now. I love what you have done with the model though and had there not been detail on the back of both fists I would recomend that, something akin to how Calgar is now.

The fluff for the organization makes sense though I don't get why a sergeant would chose someone to go on to be a battle champion, position just seems like it would be a fancy title for a sergeant.

Looking forward to how you continue.

@darius macab - thanks ;) its good to see others thinking the same, makes me less crazy

@Slyen - i see what you mean, maybe ill try and introduce a different crusade marking or helardry mark for different honour guard when i do them or something. the right power fist looks ok to me, though i have moved it since the picture to remove the blood angels symbol, i tried the right power fist thing when posing and it just seemed odd, the current pose is the only pose where he doesn';t look like he is throwing his hands in a strop or asking for a hug, even then he is still close to the hug look. sergeants dont choose battle champions.

in a company there are 10 sergeants (each with a squad) they are split and each battle captain has immediate responsabillity for 5 squads, then the High Captain has responsabillity over the whole company.

battle champions are chosen by battle captains from the 5 sergeants they are responsable for. they basically end up getting more training from the battle captain so they are ready for the company champion post when it is available,when they rise to that rank the High Captain will then train them so they are ready to be a Battle Captain.

its just a way for supiriors to hand down knowledge and prepare their brothers for the next step they will have to take. where the battle champions are chosen from 2 halves it not only means more men are prepared for the step up but it gives a sense of friendly rivallry. also by the battle captain knowing half of the company personally they know very well who is the next best choice.

@daemonclaw : thanks, how do you mean with the left fist

after looking at the pictures closer it might be the camera position making it look off,and the origional sculpt doesnt seem to leave much room for alteration anyhow.

keep up the good work

so with the internet down for a day and nothing to do i got alot done, though with some paints accidently left at home... he isn't as finished as the title suggests but its all until christmas when i may tidy up bits.

so until further notice this is my finished High Marshall Ansgar Von Faust

gallery_38604_4022_382093.jpg

gallery_38604_4022_391477.jpg

gallery_38604_4022_937424.jpg

gallery_38604_4022_384739.jpg

hope you like him, i know his face is weird but i cant do anymore until i get some more paint (though colour recommendations are welcomed :D )

thanks

I don't know why I didn't say this earlier, but the fists look a little awkward, SB...

Methinks it may have looked better with a closed fist on his right, and an open/pointing fist on his left.

Good painting, mate - I do hope you're going to pay lots of attention to the fancy, filligree stuff on his armour ;)

Great work! :(

Arenis

thanks guys :)

as for the face, it has been changed so he looks more alive

gallery_38604_4022_400351.jpg

also i have a question for people.

im making honour guard to go with this guy and im having trouble with the legs i want to use and some other parts.

i wanted a very uniform look to the squad like they are his protectors, given special equipment and stuff.

so this is what i have so far....

Head - don't know

Torso - http://bitspudlo.com/en/products/667-black-templars-torso-1

bolters - http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/...dId=prod1110206

Power Weapons - don't know

legs - http://www.shop.microartstudio.com/crusade...4.html?cPath=45

- sanguinary guard?

- bezerker?

shoulders - company champion pad and templar shoulder pads

Relic Blade - http://www.maxmini.eu/store/index.php?main...products_id=112

help on the size of the micro art legs would be helpful as they are perfect i just dont know the size.

thanks

SB

Head - don't know

Sanguiniary Guard Helmets?

Y'know - the ones with Iron Halos and all that, not the 'Death Mask' ones, that way they have a little individuality

Look Good

Power Weapons - don't know

Regular Templar Power Weapons, chained to their wrists?

legs - http://www.shop.microartstudio.com/crusade...4.html?cPath=45

- sanguinary guard?

- bezerker?

help on the size of the micro art legs would be helpful as they are perfect i just dont know the size.

From what i've seen, they fit Terminators quite comfortably...

I would go with Sanguiniary Guard Legs, or some converted/fancied up walking legs from the Plastic Death Company or Space Wolf Pack boxes

Niiiice!

And glad to help! :tu:

Arenis

had a boring night of essays tonight/ this morning, so i painted up my high champion as reward for doing some work for a change.

gallery_38604_4022_448609.jpg

gallery_38604_4022_794589.jpg

gallery_38604_4022_182290.jpg

gallery_38604_4022_631051.jpg

gallery_38604_4022_411464.jpg

this is the first time i tried blending and highlighting like i have here, on the cloak.

some feedback on whether its been done right and how to improve it would be great :P

thanks for taking a peak :pirate:

• 3 weeks later...

I agree that the open power fist looks a bit off. What i really like though is the stance almost looks like he is about to slap someone. Pimp hand is ready. He is asking someone where the baby powder is. *!THWAP!*

I really like the hooded model though that looks outstanding.

• 2 weeks later...

thanks alot :D

right so i have been sat university halls in walsall bobbing up and down wondering what i should do to keep me entertained for christmas this year.

so with a C in GCSE art, a cheap biro and a note pad i use to take forensics notes i started drawing up something i could do for my Iron Templars.

i eventually decided that Lysander was the way forward and thus calcualted that the front of the plastic venerable dread is about the size i can use for a terminator.

so here are the sketches i have done for what i'll be working on around the christmas period when i get my bits box back.

Torso

gallery_38604_4022_513538.jpg

knee- feet

gallery_38604_4022_81972.jpg

Counts as thunder hammer

gallery_38604_4022_684539.jpg

for a head im thinking of...

http://www.ourdecay.com/Medieval/Pics/crus...at_helm_400.jpg

i still havent thought of what shield to try but the obvious options are lysanders shield, the forgeworld BT shields or just the normal storm shields.

anyway, thoughts are welcome and suggestions are incouraged.

thanks

SB

nice drawing, not bad for a quick sketch.

for heads i suggest brettonian knights as they are similar and i also suggest brettonian men-at-arms for the shield. if somebody could back me up on scale then im sure they would be perfect for the job.

can't wait to see how this pans out

Archived