VenDread Loudout

Br0ther Rafen

Hi guys

I need some help with giving my Ven a good loadout.

I was thinking mabye TWautocannons possibly with a fist for light tank hunting

another idea that i got from the forum's is Plasma Cannon and ML.

That BS5 would sort of go to waste if I use lots of blast weapons (sort of, anyway.)

Any advice?

I field mine with all sorts of loadouts, depending on what they're supporting.

If I want them at midfield, I give them assault cannons. If I want them killing from range, I take twin-linked lascannons (mostly because I don't have autocannon arms yet). I always pay the points to swap stormbolters for heavy flamers.

For me, what sets the Ven Dread apart (aside from the reroll for damage) is the WS5/BS5. This means that I feel obligated to take 1 gun arm and 1 DCCW. Considering that DCCWs are only useful in short range, it means that I'd want my gun to be a mid/short range weapon as well, so I'm not tempted to hide back in my lines and snipe things. BS5 and Twin Linking is overkill, which leaves me with either the Multi-Melta or Assault Cannon as my first choices with the Plasma Cannon being a good backup as BS5 will help the blast somewhat.

I'd probably just take the Assault Cannon, target transports and blow them up then charge the guys inside.

I very often regret not bringing the DCCW on my Dread; it's a quirky thing, perhaps only me, but the moment I commit the walker to a full-time ranged roll (ie two TL-autocannons) he ends up tar-pitted with a small infantry squad mid-game.

If you're not sure what to take, I recommend the DCCW and the Assault Cannon. The Assault Cannon is a really good all-around weapon. Very good against all types of infantry and has a reasonable chance of cracking through tanks. (I always surprise myself whenever I pen a Land Raider with an assault cannon.) Rending is pretty nice.

Hi guys

I need some help with giving my Ven a good loadout.

I was thinking mabye TWautocannons possibly with a fist for light tank hunting

another idea that i got from the forum's is Plasma Cannon and ML.

That BS5 would sort of go to waste if I use lots of blast weapons (sort of, anyway.)

Any advice?

I say it depends on what your running it with and what you want it to do...

Auto-cannons are pretty good but BS5 TL is a bit over kill as mentioned... The assault Cannon would be a great choice if your going to be close... at S6 with 4 shots that will most likely hit... you have a decent chance of a 5 or a 6...

I think averages for a round of shooting work out something like...

AV10: 1 pen and a glance...

AV11: a pen or a glance

AV12: 50/50 chance of getting a single pen

AV13: About 1/3 of getting a single pen

AV14: About 1/5 of getting a single pen

So against heavy armour its up their with a lascannon at BS5 and its better than an Auto-cannon against light armour I think... then you have jammy rending shots on MCs and MEQ or better... and AP4 will let you cut into light infantry... The question is will you be in range to use it... For more of a heavy infantry hunting role but something that can also help with light vehicles I like the plasma cannon...

I would go with a ven dread with MM and a HF upgrade in a drop pod. First turn drop in and blow something up then he will dump a tremendous amount of fire too kill the thing. I used to use a similar tactic when I played Iron Hands but it was with an Ironclad dread.

I would go with a ven dread with MM and a HF upgrade in a drop pod. First turn drop in and blow something up then he will dump a tremendous amount of fire too kill the thing. I used to use a similar tactic when I played Iron Hands but it was with an Ironclad dread.

The thing to be careful with when doing this is melta. I've found in numerous battles with my VenDreads that melta largely nullifies or mitigates the Venerable reroll. That +1 to the damage chart will always leave you Stunned at the least, disarmed if you're "lucky", and still dead on a good roll. If you can drop and hit a melta-less area of the opposing force, it works, but when facing well-spread melta weapons...you're wasting your time.

The thing to be careful with when doing this is melta. I've found in numerous battles with my VenDreads that melta largely nullifies or mitigates the Venerable reroll. That +1 to the damage chart will always leave you Stunned at the least, disarmed if you're "lucky", and still dead on a good roll.

I should have mentioned, I *always* take Extra Armor on Dreadnoughts. That 15 points can make the difference between the dread sitting there and taking it in the face, or running for cover. Also, parking your Dread in cover is a good idea, esp as it handles difficult terrain like infantry.

I am going to disagree with anyone who feels like the TL lascannon is overkill at BS5. For the same reasons it's a good idea to take extra armor on a transport, it's a good idea to have a re-roll on that lascannon. Rolls of 1 are not that rare, but rolling two 1's is far less likely. It could mean the difference between that squad of assault terminators reaching you, or not. Space marines have few options that can sit back and destroy AV14 first turn of the game. And even if it doesn't kill it, a glance can still save your butt.

I usually load ven dreds with a TL las and TL autocannon and put them about 2 feet from midfield. 2 TL Autocannons are also good.

I wouldn't load them in a drop pod with a meltagun and heavy flamer. If you are going in behind the enemy to get into melta range you are also in their melta range. An iron clad is better for this, they have AV13, come already equipped with extra armor, have an extra attack (handy when an enemy unit circles back to assault you) and this is all for 30 points less off the cost.

I've found the re-rolls on the damage table are more effective when they are only taking a few shots from a distance then when a squad has them in close combat, and the upgrade from BS4 to BS5 is too good to waste. These dreads are best in a shooting role.

I would use the assault cannon and DCCW with heavy flamer no matter what.

More shots makes BS a bit more useful, heavy flamer means your going into close combat which means your WS is better used.

My advice is don't use a SM ven dread though. Play dark angels, they have much cheaper venerable dreadnoughts that are just as good (no WS and BS 5 but uber smoke launchers).

Given Ven dreads have WS and BS of 5 I would recommend DCCW, Heavy flamer (awesome anti-hoard) and assault cannon.

Twin linked weapons are wasted @BS5.

I have math hammered the chances of assault cannon vs armour and @ BS4 the assault cannon returns EXACTLY the same chance of pen/glance as a twin linked lascannon at all armour values.

At BS5 this is only going to improve but can't be bothered to work out atmo lol.

A strong case for the multimelta can easily be made and I doubt you would regret this load out but I find the versatility of the assault cannon makes up for the extra armour killy-ness of the MM.

Bear in mind those pesky special rules for eldar waveserpents and monoliths etc you would be better off in these situations with asscann.

Good luck!

I am going to disagree with anyone who feels like the TL lascannon is overkill at BS5. For the same reasons it's a good idea to take extra armor on a transport, it's a good idea to have a re-roll on that lascannon. Rolls of 1 are not that rare, but rolling two 1's is far less likely.

TLing a BS5 weapon does improve it but I think the bigger question is do you get the most bang for your buck out of a single shot weapon like the Lascannon? True you might get that shot off, but against a Land Raider even a direct hit will only penetrate 16% of the time.

If you're looking at a Rhino, the TL Autocannon has the exact same chance of penetrating as a TL Lascannon but the AC is cheaper.

I don't want to run the numbers because I'm lazy but sometime tells me that a BS5 Assault Cannon or Multi-Melta will have a far better chance of popping armor even with the lower range factored in.

For me, it really comes down to the TL Lascannon being too expensive.

I just played a game against nids and used a assault cannon/heavy flamer + DCCW ven dread for the first time. I must say, I am very impressed. the assault cannon is an impressive weapon on a bs5 walker and puts the wounds on pretty much anything. The highlight of the night was the ven dread's assualt cannons taking down the Doom of Malan'Tai from s7 to s4 right before it could charge a weakened tac squad. I had already wiped out the rest of his anti tank potential, allowing me to pie plate his hordes with whirlwinds and blast his mcs with typhoon fury, plus smack a couple people around with the DCCW :D

Archived