Basing models without bases normally

minigun762

Ok I'd like to base my Defiler, mostly for cosmetic reasons but also to make the whole thing more stable.

Its not normally something that is based so...

Can I base it at all?

What would be the smallest possible base I could use that would still be legal?

Are there any major tactical advantage or disadvantage to doing this that I haven't thought of?

Should I even bother?

Basing it won't make it illegal unless you somehow reduce the size of it (effectively decreasing the number of models who can close with it in BtB or make it harder to see around stuff)...if anything it'll make it slightly taller, which "hurts you", so I think you'll be fine. =)

Ok I'd like to base my Defiler, mostly for cosmetic reasons but also to make the whole thing more stable.

Its not normally something that is based so...

Can I base it at all?

What would be the smallest possible base I could use that would still be legal?

Are there any major tactical advantage or disadvantage to doing this that I haven't thought of?

Should I even bother?

Can you base it - you can do whatever you want with your model.

Some players like to mount their models on impressive scenic bases. As mounting your models on different sized bases might affect the way they interact w ith the rules, make sure before the game that your opponent does not mind this.

This being said, most players I know wouldn't mind so long as you don't go overboard with a base modeled purely for advantage.

Tactical advantages/disadvantages - I tend to base my stuff using either the smallest round base which is big enough for the entire hull to fit on or a regular shape which closely follows the hulls "shadow outline". In the case of some of my bigger, odder shaped models (like your aforementioned defiler) I would aim for a base which generally follows the "shadow" outline of the units hull/main body. Any blast markers which fall over the base will now be able to claim a hit, a disadvantage to irregularly shaped models, and it increases the close combat "footprint" of the model. It also helps standardize my odd-shaped models, making it very clear if an enemy has managed to make base-to-base contact and keeping two oddball shaped units from making a mess of base contact for HTH.

Should you bother - I've been happy with my basing efforts so far.

I am not super aware of the size of a defiler, but the monsterous creature base would be the absolute smallest conceivable base, though you may have to search for a trygon base (which I think is larger), if even that is too small, try converting one of the vehicle flying bases. I don't really know. For tactical changes, it will likely increase the surface area that can be charged/charge with for reaching BtB. May also make it harder to manuver between obsticles (though it would not likely come up often). As for legality, I can't think of any huge problems, but it would likely depend more on your local scene. I would allow it, but I am personaly fairly permisive with modeling changes so long as its not obviously and malicously for tactical advantages.

Yeah, you're going to want to go with a custom-cut base. If anything, simply allow your opponent to place his models on the Defiler's base when measuring B2B contact and such.

This is a good idea; it actually happens in Fantasy all the time, so it's not unheard of for certain.

As far as the base size, I was thinking of making it just large enough to cover all the legs but allow the arms and such to hang over.

This feels reasonable but then again I'm not sure if someone would have an issue with that.

As far as the base size, I was thinking of making it just large enough to cover all the legs but allow the arms and such to hang over.

This feels reasonable but then again I'm not sure if someone would have an issue with that.

So long as you accept that the base is what matters for terrain, templates and HtH, I don't think anyone would argue.

So long as you accept that the base is what matters for terrain, templates and HtH, I don't think anyone would argue.

The Arms will still count for LOS, templates and HtH contact

The Arms will still count for LOS, templates and HtH contact

Yes, and no.

-LOS : yes, they count for LOS - that's why I didn't mention it.

-templates : partially - I was unclear in that I meant blast templates specifically, I apologize. Flamer templates will, of course, count the arms but blasts specifically state in their description that the base is what counts for determining hits.

-HtH : no. Close combat rules are pretty specific about only models in base contact counting for determining who is engaged. Models only get a pass on the base contact if it has no base.

Then we get into the realm of opponents permission, I would state he should make the base and then ignore it for everything, thus keeping the model in its original conditions for rules purposes.

I would do something along the line of make a base for it and look at magnetising it so if who ever you play does have a problem it will be easy to remove it. If you plan on going to tournements check with the TO before hand, the guys that I know would most likely say yes especially if it looks cool.

Then we get into the realm of opponents permission, I would state he should make the base and then ignore it for everything, thus keeping the model in its original conditions for rules purposes.

Talk it over with opponent before each game to determine the appropriate treatment for the model. Assuming you haven't come to an agreement, however, then the easiest/fairest way to deal with it is exactly as GM has stated: the base is there to keep the model stable, but is ignored for all rules purposes, as the model normally doesn't have a base at all.

Valerian

Archived