Storm shields AND melta guns for BA honor guard loadout?

veidin

Im sure this has come up before but looking for an answer. I know this can occur in other armies but in particular for a discussion a friend of mine are having I will ask about Blood Angels in specific. Can the honor guard take a loadout of Storm Shields and Melta Guns. If so I know the melta is 2 handed so if fired will the unit lose the Storm Shield benefit? If they cant take these 2 items in conjunction than disregard that question. Thanks in advance for anyone who knows. :tu:

Well, going by the old 'hands' definition a Meltagun IS twohanded, and theres even rules for what that means in the assault section of the rulebook.

You dont get +1 attack when using it in conjunction with another weapon in assault.

Stormshields have a similar rule, but never have been considered to be 2 handed, even when labeling 'hands' was common practice.

There is no issue with your opponent using Meltagun and Stormshield on a marine in the same turn when it comes to the rules.

It should be noted that we can't take an entire loadout of this equipment because we can't give the Sanguinary Novitiate anything.

(No, I'm totally not still pissed off about that. Whatever would give you that idea? :) )

Otherwise, yeah, we totally could. And, yeah, we would take the 3+ Invulnerable save even while firing our meltaguns.

Nothing in the rules prevents you from taking a meltagun and a storm shield on each model; whether this is a good idea or not is something for the tactica forum (I'm not a fan of this idea).

I feel like there's some unfortunately disregarded, unwritten, but strongly implied handedness rule in Warhammer 40k. For instance, there are weapons (the BA codex relic blade replacement, for example) that specifically state they take two-hands. If your weapon does not do this (ie Melta guns do not say anything about handedness, and Storm Shields say only that you can never receive the offhand bonus attack in CC, nothing about a hand) then you have no issue. Unclear on the surface, but not so bad. Just annoying.

Thade, its not unwritten- pg. 42 states the rules for 2 handed close combat weapons. 4rth paragraph, right hand column, second sentence.

Really?! How did I miss that. You have my all itchin to get my hands on my rulebook now.

You're probably right, GM. I feel like I've read that page a few dozen times, each time for some different rules conundrum. Time to throw another one onto the fire.

Slightly off-topic, whenever I'm on the OR board now I keep thinking of the new Fantasy rules and what that sort of implies for the future of 40k rules. I'm excited...but the vets at my club keep tellin me "Two years". Oye.

You're probably right, GM. I feel like I've read that page a few dozen times, each time for some different rules conundrum. Time to throw another one onto the fire.

Slightly off-topic, whenever I'm on the OR board now I keep thinking of the new Fantasy rules and what that sort of implies for the future of 40k rules. I'm excited...but the vets at my club keep tellin me "Two years". Oye.

I hope to all the gods in heaven that it means nothing at all.

Id rather prefer if Matt Ward didnt stomp on 40k 6th edition... but thats another thread.

Archived