Razorback Loadout

Br0ther Rafen

TLHB myself, as I run combat squads anyways, and I like the HB enough to give 5 points for a TL one.

To be noted, that my friend runs SW and 3 TLLC predators are giving a very decent gunline ingredient for him.

Even if you pop them you have those damn wolves inside...

Most of the time, I like the Twin-Linked Plasma Gun / Las-Cannon Configuration. From a playability point of view, it gives you three high-Strength, low-AP shots to deal with heavy infantry. The Las-Cannon gives you some range under your belt early in the game to deal with enemy transports. The twin-linked plasma gun lets you put reliable wounds on most anything in the game that runs around on foot. I normally dislike Plasma, but I love it here for the same reason every single Crisis Battlesuit in my Tau army gets a plasma gun and a multi-tracker: extra mid-to-high-S shots with good AP on a relentless or vehicle platform are good, especially in a ranged shooty army that will benefit from adding additional shots as the enemy moves into the yellow then red range-band. The orks had it right with the phrase "more dakka".

And from a modeling point of view, I love the manned turret on the old Razorback, and needing to convert this configuration lets me bring this back to the tabletop. This, to me, looks, much more like an armored personnel carrier than the current turret for the standard Razorback. But that's purely flavor considerations.

I make multiple turrets so I can swap them out. In low points games, I like the TLHB cause its cheap. I prefer the TLPG/LC with an extra Storm Bolter

(and a HK missile for round 1 alpha strikes). Gives you 3 weapons in case of weapon destroyed results. Bit more survivability and shootiness.

I make multiple turrets so I can swap them out.

^This. I most often use a TL-Assault Canno though. I *love* those things. Nothing quite like a Razorback punching a hole through a Land Raider to make your opponent's jaw drop. :)

I most often use a TL-Assault Canno though. I *love* those things. Nothing quite like a Razorback punching a hole through a Land Raider to make your opponent's jaw drop. :)

I think Assault Cannons work on fast Razorbacks, and maybe outflanking Razorbacks where you can get side armor shots (AV11 melts under 4 Twin-Linked S6 rending shots).

However, the reason I call this out is that last part, which provides a good chance to bring up this little nugget of advice:

I'd advise against making army-building decisions based on Hail Mary passes* like that. They're awesome, sure (I remember cheering when I gibbed an Ork Warboss with a Space Marine Sergeant's lucky rolls on his Power Fist dealing the last two wounds of the turn). But they're not reliable enough for it to be part of a cohesive strategy. In any game where random chance determines outcomes, you want to minimize the impact of winding up the wrong side of the bell curve by focusing on reliable alternatives. There's nothing wrong with setting yourself up to take advantage of the good side of the bell curve with things like rending (on those fast assault cannons), but that should be priority number 2 after you get the middle of the bell curve into a healthy range of results.

*fans of American Football should understand that reference... for internationals out there, a Hail Mary pass is called such because such a play calls for the Quarterback to hurl the ball down field in the last seconds of a game in which they're down points and pray, because if the risky play fails, the team will lose the game

I'd advise against making army-building decisions based on Hail Mary passes* like that.

To be fair I, I don't base my taking the TL-AssaultCannon on the off chance it will punch a LR. I do take it for it's versatility, as it is equally effective at killing infantry units and shredding Rhinos or other light armor. (Also, it just so happens that my Razorbacks are in fact fast vehicles. :) ) A TL-lascannon is effectively one shot. A TL-HB is a poor-man's option and the only case I'd mount such a weapon on a vehicle (but it's really a points-dump, I can use those elsewhere and just not fill up the Rhino). As for the Lascannon/Plasma combo...it's interesting, but I'm not into it.

I'd advise against making army-building decisions based on Hail Mary passes* like that.

To be fair I, I don't base my taking the TL-AssaultCannon on the off chance it will punch a LR.

I assumed that, thade :)

The only reason I called it out is because it was an excellent chance to point out to people who do plan on the Hail Mary pass that this can be counter-productive in list-building.

You were just helpful in your wording :)

My unhealthy fascination with plasma weaponry means that I tend to run light on melta (and there is tends to be one-shot combis), so my two Razorbacks have TLLCs to make up the short-fall on anti-tank firepower in my army. I've considered building TLPG/LC turrets for them since they are fluffy for Iron Hands (Kardan Stronos, Stronos-pattern. . . coincidence?) amongst other reasons -- notably their glowing reviews on B&C -- but my current fetish is for all-drop pod armies, so that'll have to wait a bit.

The TLPG/LC combo is the one I generally use, I consider that plus the TLAC and TLLC to be the primary choices. It gives you the most versatility and the best anti-marine firepower of any of the variants. You give up 1-2 short range shots against regular infantry over the AC, your LC hits 2/3 instead of the 8/9 from a TL LC, but you've got a lot of cases where you're better off, and you don't get crippled by a weapon destroyed result.

TLLC gives you a lightly armored tank hunter on the cheap, it's nice and some people like it but it doesn't do enough against non-tanks for my taste.

TLAC is great against non-marines and light vehicles, but suffers from short range. Generally in my lists I have plenty of short-range fire from marines, so I prefer picking up some range.

The HB is unimpressive, if the squad is 5-man anyway then it's not a bad way to blow 5 points

The MM and HF both suffer from speed, people generally won't stop heavy tanks 18" away from your melta-razor and an infantry speed HF is not that great.

And from a modeling point of view, I love the manned turret on the old Razorback, and needing to convert this configuration lets me bring this back to the tabletop. This, to me, looks, much more like an armored personnel carrier than the current turret for the standard Razorback. But that's purely flavor considerations.

Forget conversions, all of my rhino-chassis vehicles are the old style :D

I think Assault Cannons work on fast Razorbacks, and maybe outflanking Razorbacks where you can get side armor shots (AV11 melts under 4 Twin-Linked S6 rending shots).

Assault Cannon are good on Outflanking vehicles, except on the 1/3rd of times against elite armies where you end up on the dead flank.

I like the Las-Plas and the TLLC for Outflanking. STR9 vs Side Armour is not a pleasant experience for most things, especially at long range.

Assault Cannon are good on Outflanking vehicles, except on the 1/3rd of times against elite armies where you end up on the dead flank.

The problem with outflanking in general. I wholeheartedly agree. It's one of the reasons why I usually say that I think Mech Khan armies are possible in theory, if not in practice.

Lascannon range is 48", so coming in on the off-side of the board on an outflank isn't so bad. Off-side here is of course the one far away from the fight. If by off-side you meant right in the thick of it...well, outflank him closer to your table edge in that case. ;)

To be fair I, I don't base my taking the TL-AssaultCannon on the off chance it will punch a LR.

I assumed that, thade :Troops:

The only reason I called it out is because it was an excellent chance to point out to people who do plan on the Hail Mary pass that this can be counter-productive in list-building.

You were just helpful in your wording ^_^

Happy to help. :Elite:

Archived