Sanguinary priest 1-3 as a single elite

nicolo

I have a rules question, and I can not find a set answer for this. I'm biased, as one answer greatly benefits me, so I'm asking for a larger perspective.

In the Blood Angels Codex you can get between 1-3 sanguinary priests as a single elites choice. Now the unit composition is 1 sanguinary priest and they are labeled as independant characters. According to the rulebook pg47 "Independant characters are represented by individual models, which fight as units in their own right." Combined with the only similiar unit composition I have found being Death-Cult Assassins, who also can be chosen as 1-3 for a single elites choice. However for the assassins in the Daemonhunters codex it states on page 25 "They are deployed as a single choice, but do not need to be placed together and operate independantly during the game."

This is leading me to believe that I can get three priests and only use up a single elites choice, and then as each individual one is an independant character seperate them and have them act individually. Now since this is obviously of a benefit to me I want to make sure I am not misreading this. I'm not trying to cheat the system, but if this is true I'd be an idiot for not utilizing it.

So has anyone come across this before, is there a set ruling on this? Any thoughts or comments would be appreciated. Thanks

niccolo

That is the correct use of priests. Buy three for one Elites slot, spread them amongst three squads.

^This.

Not so weird, right? Each model has the Independent Character rule, making them each a unit in their own right. Don't confuse taking multiple models as a single Force Org choice and having multiple models in the same unit. IG does something very much like this with their tanks, for instance.

Archived